SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

I'll take what I have right now.

Which happens to be a...

Nevermind.

IMAG1656.jpg

SUSV.

Skip to 4:07 for the original. Looks like this guy takes the frame and modifies other vehicles to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bicycle. Come in handy when the roads are jammed and the gas runs out. Get a flat drive on the rims. Japanese army took over Malaysia using them. Better options but the highways are gonna be shit shows.

2002 twin turbo Audi Allroad. AWD, air ride adjustable suspension, it's a wagon and it has heated seats for those cold days during S hitting the F. And it's 250hp and can be chipped to 300hp and almost 400 ft pounds of torque so you can tow anything. If you need to bug out, bug out in style.

Its basically a luxury ORV.

6BE1BD56-D8FF-422F-B4EF-DB412296DBD7-2402-000008AAB9BB1B66_zps6a38bd13.jpg

When SHTF it probably won't start.

Since the roads would be clogged, I would think air transportation would get you someplace. I have been thinking about taking pilots lessons, any pilots here?

I wannabe. FYI there is a new ish sport pilot classification that had lower airtime requirements. Translates to lower cost for license, though still not cheap.

As I see it, if you can afford a nice Corvette as a "fun" vehicle, then you can afford an airplane.

On the other hand, I don't believe there are any significant requirements for an ultralight. Could be mistaken on that.

SHTF bug out vehicle?

...I have legs, and they serve me just fine. Don't need fuel, oil, antifreeze, never get stuck in traffic, don't require special tires or 4x4 to get places. I might get a quad to haul gear to the bug out safe area, but even that is not required, provided I get the house I want.

I'm thinking of a Frito lay bread truck. Here me out, they all have a 4bt ( some even have a 6bt ) cummings diesel, 4spd Allison autos, Gm 14 bolt rear and since its based off of the large GM truck frame platform a duely 60 front can be used for 4 wheel drive and for a transfer case you can use a divorced 205.
This would give you a solid platform with plenty of power, plenty of room and just paint a "Joe the plumber" on the side of the van and you blend in like any other stiff sitting in traffic on the highway.

They can be picked up for under 3k a d even if you left it two wheel drive add a locker to the rear and you will make it up just about any class 6 road. Add a 10k pound winch for extra pulling force, maybe a nice HD bumper to push with and you got yourself a camper/bug out/get you were need to be rig and you won't draw much attention to yourself.

Jason.

I'm thinking of a Frito lay bread truck. Here me out, they all have a 4bt ( some even have a 6bt ) cummings diesel, 4spd Allison autos, Gm 14 bolt rear and since its based off of the large GM truck frame platform a duely 60 front can be used for 4 wheel drive and for a transfer case you can use a divorced 205.
This would give you a solid platform with plenty of power, plenty of room and just paint a "Joe the plumber" on the side of the van and you blend in like any other stiff sitting in traffic on the highway.

They can be picked up for under 3k a d even if you left it two wheel drive add a locker to the rear and you will make it up just about any class 6 road. Add a 10k pound winch for extra pulling force, maybe a nice HD bumper to push with and you got yourself a camper/bug out/get you were need to be rig and you won't draw much attention to yourself.

Jason.

if you get it full of fritos, epic win, those things are the ultimate SHTF fire starter.

My 2009 Subaru Forester will be going to my son next year, so I'll be looking for new wheels. My ride holds a mobile HAM setup, a long lockbox, my folding bicycle (Montague Paratrooper Pro) and GHB. Wish I had a bit more room. No particular need for the back seats - maybe worth taking them out?

Back
Top Bottom