SHTF KNIFE

SHTF Blade preference

• Straight as an arrow

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Bumpy like a MA.side street

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Straight blade, kept razor sharp. Not more than 4 1/2" long. Any job that requires more cutting power than that is best performed with a hatchet or other small axe. Serrated edges dull too easily if they hit a hard substance (such as wire or bone) and are very difficult to resharpen.

Good pts.+
The Seal pup wasn't cuttin' it, its ok... but I see what you mean on the serations after moderate use.
So I spent the dough on a quality Swedish Air Force F1 in black (very pleased)

008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for plain edged knife (D2 steel is super !!!) .

Fallkniven F1 is an excellent choice - I have the same it satin blade and older style swinger leather sheath.

DSC_0063.jpg

I like the cqc-7b for a few reasons. I like its very utilitarian tanto style, and the G10 grip bites real nice. The clip is the most rugged knife clip I've ever seen, and it's rounded so it doesn't marr anything I happen to bump into. G10 steel is soft enough to be able to sharpen on a whet stone with a couple of passes. It's single sided, as in it has no grind on one side, and the blade shape (flat) make it very easy to sharpen.

Reading this post, I think I'll look for something bigger for heavier tasks, like cutting down trees.

Last edited:
A good straight blade you can sharpen.

Indeed. I don't need no stinkin' serrations. A good sharp straight blade will do everything a serrated blade can do and is way easier to maintain in the field w/out special sharpeners. Keep it simple. Keep it sharp.

an OLD, straight blade fixed handle knife made from genuine hardened steel that can keep an edge, An old but well sharpened hatchet, a 12 inch camp saw made from real steel and can be sharpened, a machete, a set of good files and a small whetstone and a belt with all the attachments to hold everything. My SHTF cutlery set.

Nice choice SemiAutoSam! Half serrated is my primary choice as well, and in the shiniest finish possible. My primary carry is an AFCK 800s which I have had since 1998, along with the mini AFCK for waist band carry. I recently bought a Griptilian which is also a nice blade, but would only replace the AFCK in a jam.

Every expert I've ever heard on this subject says the same thing:

Straight drop point fixed of about 4" for your primary blade. You can have others with other profiles, but your that should be your primary.

It mainly boils down to ease of keeping a good edge on it. Sharpening a serrated edge is difficult at best and time consuming.

Just ordered one of these:
BH15M101BK.jpg

Has recessed seatbelt/cord cutter, and carbide tip window breaker in butt of knife.
The model I ordered was partially serrated.

+1 I have the F1 in stainless it is a very nice knife.[thumbsup]

These guys make good stuff also. I have this one on order.
http://www.swampratknives.com/index.html

View attachment 9276

http://www.bussecombat.com/knives/index.shtml
View attachment 9277

Ratmandu and a BOSS Street, sweet scores. Within the last month I've gotten a scrapyard de-reg, black on black RMD, and my urban grudge and weiner dog came in the mail today!

For anyone that isn't familiar with Bussekin knives (Busse Combat, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard) check them out. Not cheap, but great hard use knives and I find the scrapyard offerings to be a terrific value.

In My B.O.B.
SOG Seal Pup (would have prefered the straight edge elite, but it was free)
MOSOGM37K.jpg

&
Ka-Bar U.S. Army (also 1/2 serrated but once again it was free)
KB1219.jpg

In my pocket
SOG flash II plain edge (because I can't afford a Benchmade)
SOG-Flash-II-FSA-8-600x507.jpg

keeley,

Why the two very similar knives for the bug-out-bag? If I was going to have two seperate knives, I'd try to have them serve different purposes. Just a thought.

keeley,

Why the two very similar knives for the bug-out-bag? If I was going to have two seperate knives, I'd try to have them serve different purposes. Just a thought.

Two is one, one is none?

For something as useful as a knife, having a spare may be worth the weight penalty for him.

One thing that people get all worked up about are super high quality blades. In a bad situoation I'd rather have a whole crapload of cheapies than one super duper fantastic knife.

A friend of mine stays up late at night and buys those 100 packs of folders on Home shopping club. Over the years he's given me about 30 knives. They all work fine. They lock securely and hold a decent edge.
Because of his geerosity, I have knives scattered about my life. In the garage, basement, both cars (<4" so they are legal in CT), desk drawer, etc. I've also got about a dozen in my bug out box. I'd rather have that dozen
chinese blades than 1 or 2 of the American Benchmades that I carry daily.

So I guess my point is this. If you are buying to stash in a bugout bag, (limited space/weight) a benchmade might be good. But if you are stocking up a larger container, I'll take quantity over quality, within reason. Also, straight blades should be included in the mix.

One thing that people get all worked up about are super high quality blades. In a bad situoation I'd rather have a whole crapload of cheapies than one super duper fantastic knife.

A friend of mine stays up late at night and buys those 100 packs of folders on Home shopping club. Over the years he's given me about 30 knives. They all work fine. They lock securely and hold a decent edge.
Because of his geerosity, I have knives scattered about my life. In the garage, basement, both cars (<4" so they are legal in CT), desk drawer, etc. I've also got about a dozen in my bug out box. I'd rather have that dozen
chinese blades than 1 or 2 of the American Benchmades that I carry daily.

So I guess my point is this. If you are buying to stash in a bugout bag, (limited space/weight) a benchmade might be good. But if you are stocking up a larger container, I'll take quantity over quality, within reason. Also, straight blades should be included in the mix.

Honestly, I'd never trust life or limb on any knife bought off HSN, at a gas station, etc. Especially with folders, quality is key.

Think of what would happen if the lock failed. Think of where you hold the knife. Guess whats right in the way of the blade when it starts to fold unexpectedly. Oh, thats right...it's your fingers.

Personally, I'd rather own half a dozen quality blades I KNOW, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I can trust not to wimp out on me when I need them, than an uncountable number of POS knives my buddy bought off TV.

Buy quality, and only cry once.

Ratmandu and a BOSS Street, sweet scores. Within the last month I've gotten a scrapyard de-reg, black on black RMD, and my urban grudge and weiner dog came in the mail today!

For anyone that isn't familiar with Bussekin knives (Busse Combat, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard) check them out. Not cheap, but great hard use knives and I find the scrapyard offerings to be a terrific value.

Got the email last night RMD on the way!

what's the legal limit in MA? I love this knife!! I am very interested in either this or the RMD...

dunno about the legal stuff. i dont carry it unless im in the woods.

if you do buy one, see if you can still buy through ranger knives website. i know ontario makes this knife under the ranger name now and its quality has gone down hill. not sure if jason still makes the real deal

Wait. Who is concerned about the legal stuff for a SHTF knife? Most states allow you to keep, for collecting purposes, most anything you want in terms of blade lengths. And, when SHTF, the last thing you're going to need to worry about is if scruff mcgruff is going to lock you up for a little bit too long of a blade hanging off your hip.

good point but I must admit I was thinking I'd take the knife with me to, say; camping, off-roading... stuff like that

good point but I must admit I was thinking I'd take the knife with me to, say; camping, off-roading... stuff like that

Well, MA has no fixed blade length limit for open carry. So, maybe a good old Ka-bar would be a good choice. Cheap, proven, and tough as nails. I like the SOG tech bowie 2.0 for finer work. It really is a beauty. Check it out. Good for anything from camping to diving to personal defense. But more expensive than the Ka-bar. Then if you wanna see what I think is the best value in an all around folder. Check out the Spyderco Stretch II, and the reviews for it on youtube. Hell of a knife.

Honestly, I'd never trust life or limb on any knife bought off HSN, at a gas station, etc. Especially with folders, quality is key.

Think of what would happen if the lock failed. Think of where you hold the knife. Guess whats right in the way of the blade when it starts to fold unexpectedly. Oh, thats right...it's your fingers.

Personally, I'd rather own half a dozen quality blades I KNOW, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I can trust not to wimp out on me when I need them, than an uncountable number of POS knives my buddy bought off TV.

Buy quality, and only cry once.

Of all the knives he's given me only 1 or 2 ever had problems. And it was easy to tell when they were new. Again, I'm a big fan of quality things. But in a long term survival scenario, having some cheapies could be invaluable. By the way, the locks on these knives are straight knockoffs of better quality knives. Besides, if you are really going to work a knife hard in a way that will put pressure on the lock, get a fixed blade not a folder.

what's the legal limit in MA? I love this knife!! I am very interested in either this or the RMD...

In most states there is no legal limit for fixed blade knives.
Although some ban the carry of large knives in a car, there are usually HUGE loopholes. Associated typically with hunting/fishing, kitchen knives. Think about it. That 12" chef's knife is a 12" fixed blade knife.

Or that machette I bring duck hunting with me.

Back
Top Bottom