• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoulder Holsters

That's what I have, I carry a 1911 in it. I like it. Just take your time to fit it to you. It helps to have a second person to help.

I use an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig for my HK P30SK which I love. It’s confortable, well made and very balanced. Unfortunately their wait time is at least 4 months right now and good luck getting them on the phone but I thought it was worth it.

Here’s a link to their Smith & Wesson Bodyguard shoulder holsters with pictures Alessi Holsters Bodyguard Holster - SMITH & WESSON GUNS . The Bodyguard hold the gun horizontal.

They sell a rig called the Fieldmaster which holds it vertical Alessi Holsters Fieldmaster Holster for Smith & Wesson Guns . I haven’t seen one of these in person.

People seem to like them. I’ve been looking for a used Alessi Guardian shoulder rig for my Smith & Wesson J Frame forever and I can’t find one. I think I’ll break down and order one directly from them if I get anything back on taxes this year.

could anyone recommend a shoulder holster for a 4 inch K frame? I was looking at the Galco Miami Classic.
they are great i have one paid 100 bucks for it years ago now around 200. look at the taqua series, i have one for my smith governor; a little heavy on the leather thickness but almost half the price

How well do these conceal, and how comfortable are they? I have a 4'' K frame on the way and was also looking at shoulder options; I have heard they can really irritate your neck though.

How well do these conceal, and how comfortable are they? I have a 4'' K frame on the way and was also looking at shoulder options; I have heard they can really irritate your neck though.

I initially had some irritation on my neck because I had one side of the straps tighter than the other which caused the straps to be pulled to one side. Once I adjusted both sides to sit even on my back I was fine.

I like the shoulder holster under a pullover sweatshirt. It conceals well. Sometimes I can see a very small amount of the strap near my neck but 98% of the time I don't. With a shoulder holster if it needs an adjustment usually I'm picking up and moving the straps that are over my shoulders a little near my neck so it looks like you are adjusting your shirt and not moving a gun. Also with mine there is a leather pouch on the other side of the holster to carry 2 magazines which is very convenient. I'm right handed so the gun is under my left arm which feels a little unusual at first but you quickly forget about it. The only problem is if you get hot and want to take off the sweatshirt that's a no go if you are outside the house. I probably won't wear it in the summer because I have a tendency to run hot but to carry a larger gun in winter I think it's great.

When I'm sitting in the car the gun on the shoulder holster isn't pushing against my side or back like some holsters do. The P30SK isn't huge but it isn't tiny so having the weight on my shoulders seems to be easier to me.

Just for reference if I'm not wearing the P30SK in a shoulder holster or in a OWB holster under a big coat I'm usually carrying a J Frame 642 Smith & Wesson in a pocket holster. I tend to carry something smaller than a huge gun so comfort and making what I'm carrying feel light or at least be unobtrusive is important to me.

I initially had some irritation on my neck because I had one side of the straps tighter than the other which caused the straps to be pulled to one side. Once I adjusted both sides to sit even on my back I was fine.

I like the shoulder holster under a pullover sweatshirt. It conceals well. Sometimes I can see a very small amount of the strap near my neck but 98% of the time I don't. With a shoulder holster if it needs an adjustment usually I'm picking up and moving the straps that are over my shoulders a little near my neck so it looks like you are adjusting your shirt and not moving a gun. Also with mine there is a leather pouch on the other side of the holster to carry 2 magazines which is very convenient. I'm right handed so the gun is under my left arm which feels a little unusual at first but you quickly forget about it. The only problem is if you get hot and want to take off the sweatshirt that's a no go if you are outside the house. I probably won't wear it in the summer because I have a tendency to run hot but to carry a larger gun in winter I think it's great.

When I'm sitting in the car the gun on the shoulder holster isn't pushing against my side or back like some holsters do. The P30SK isn't huge but it isn't tiny so having the weight on my shoulders seems to be easier to me.

Just for reference if I'm not wearing the P30SK in a shoulder holster or in a OWB holster under a big coat I'm usually carrying a J Frame 642 Smith & Wesson in a pocket holster. I tend to carry something smaller than a huge gun so comfort and making what I'm carrying feel light or at least be unobtrusive is important to me.
Thanks for the details, that's what I was looking for.
This would be for a Model 15 (K frame), strictly jacket weather. With a winter coat I've also been using a Makarov in an easily accessible coat pocket, but I think a shoulder holster would balance better plus give "lighter coat" possibilities.

Right now the pockets holds the Makarov (or LCP II + mag sometimes) so when it's really cold, I don't have any pockets available for my hands or to hold my gloves; I figured moving to a shoulder holster would be more comfortable than waist plus free up those pockets.

Alternative is a compression undershirt with holsters sewn in. Check out 5.11 Tactical’s holster shirt. Conceals well with just a button-down shirt.

Back
Top Bottom