Should the law allow the use of deadly force to protect a person's property?

Do you think that the law should allow the use of deadly force to protect property?

• Yes

Votes: 257 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 16.8%

• Total voters
After another thread in this section, I because curious what the opinions here. It's been discussed pretty significantly over here.

Do you think that the law should allow the use of deadly force to protect a person's property? That is, if someone is breaking into your car, but currently poses no threat to your life, should you be allowed to shoot him?

Absolutely.

Someone stealing property is stealing the time you spent working to earn the money to obtain such property.

Texas has it right.

Oh and in before the crybabies who think deadly force is excessive.

Yes.

Personally I would probably not shoot someone in the back if they were running away from me with my TV, but I should never be forced to try and interpret or intuit what a criminal is doing while stealing from me under any circumstance. I don't feel like upping the odds of a crime becoming violent by playing a guessing game of intent. So, unflinchingly, yes. I also think it would cut back on crime, or at least repeat offenders. [smile]

Even if the law permits it, you don't have to utilize it. Think ice storm times lots, power out for an extended indefinite period with road blockages. If my cheap Chinese crap from Walmart is a generator the thief may be putting my life at risk. Options are options, you don't have to use them for there to be a value.

As much as I hate people who steal, do you really want to kill someone over some cheap Chineese crap you bought at Walmart? Not me.

Given the current trend, it may not be the cheap crap they come for.
A
I agree, if someone is trying to walk off with my kids bike, I'm not going to shoot the bastard, I'll just throw a rock at his head.
But if oil is 10.00 a gallon, and someone is trying to make off with the cordwood, they would get 1 chance to change their mind.

I'll say yes. There may come a day when my property means life or death for my family.
So I think the option should be on the table.

If it comes to the day when my property means life or death for my family, there is no options. My family lives.

I answered Yes. Keep in mind it's a very broad question. Also note there's a difference between shooting a thief and protecting property.

I work for my property. My work takes my time and my energy. My time and my energy are an essential part of my life. Taking or threatening my property is the same as taking or threatening my life.

I'm a stand-up philosopher on weekends, btw.

Unfortunately I have no idea what your intentions when you step onto my property. YOU took that risk of entering my property, I should not have to hesitate and question you on what your motives are!!!!

You walk in, you are being carried out.

As much as I hate people who steal, do you really want to kill someone over some cheap Chineese crap you bought at Walmart? Not me.

When your house gets ran sacked and your kids ask why there was a bad guy in their bedroom and if he's coming back, I'll ask you the question again. [angry]

i think discretion is advised here. So, I suppose it would depend on what the "property" in question is... Shooting a person trying to steal a generator during an ice storm? YES. shooting a kid for stealing a pumpkin off my porch? No.

There has to reach a point where criminals are actually dissuaded from their actions. Obviously, they are not too worried about the police, the courts or jail. Maybe if there were consequences for their actions things would be different..

A right exercised is a right retained. [wink]

I have the right to sit outside with wet hair in my bathrobe drinking my coffee at my house whenever I want. Just because I don't exercise this right in subzero temperatures doesn't mean I forfeit it for the summer time.

... should we start a poll on bathrobe carry, I think it's just as crucial as carrying when doing yard work. [coffee]

Seriously though, if the law permits protection of property with lethal force it is in everyone's best interest for this to be exercised with discretion.

Back
Top Bottom