Shotgun recommendations for hunting?

J

JellyFish

I went to Dick's today to look at shotguns but was baffled by the sheer number of them.

What's a good make/model for squirrel hunting that might be used later for deer or turkey?

I am somewhat at a lost as I haven't owned a shotgun before and am not sure whether I should get an all-around gun or maybe a different one for each season?

Hmmm...

The cheap way out of it.
A Mossberg 500 12g pump. They sell these in a bunch of different ways, I got mine with 2 different barrels. One of the barrels is for use with slugs (deer ammo) the other is for your birds, squirrels, trap and skeet etc..
Mine has been abused for many years and it always works. Back when I bought it new the package was only $200 bucks. I think you can still get package deals on these, I am sure the cost went up a bit but not too bad.
Another great thing about them is that you can customize it to the hills with all of the goodies they make for it.

Remington 870 combo. That will give you a longer barrel and a shorter barrel for deer.

I strongly recommend the 870 before the Mossberg.

12ga on squirrels is overkill, if you must use a shotgun go with a 20ga. A 20 firing saboted slugs makes for an excellent deer gun. Heck even a .410 works fine for squirrels & r---its.

Turkeys are wary creatures and take quite a bit of skill to call into range, you'll need a 12 ga with a XX full choke. Heck, I know folks who use a 10ga on gobblers !

You can never have too many shotguns !

Well I bought the Remington 870 Express Combo in 12 gauge pump action.

So I hope I don't blow the squirrels up too much. [wink]

I got it at Dick's. Man, the clerks there are still learning about guns. It took forever to get the damn paper work filled out.

Anyway, I got it.

One thing though, I forgot what ammo works best for squirrels. Anybody got a suggestion?

Okay, good. Well I am getting a lot of the preparation done. I must get to the range and also I have to have the guy at Dick's put a carry strap on the gun for me as I don't know how to do it myself (I don't have a drill).

I honestly have *never* used a sling on a shotgun. Maybe if you were
tromping out to your deer stand in the dark, but for small game and
birds, save your money. (IMHO).

So you just carry it? Isn't it a pain in the ass after a while?

I thought a carry strap (sling?) would make it easier. Hmmmm...

I honestly have *never* used a sling on a shotgun. Maybe if you were
tromping out to your deer stand in the dark, but for small game and
birds, save your money. (IMHO).

Yeah, I just carry it accross my body with my right hand at the wrist
of the stock and the forestock in the crook of my left arm. No problems.
It's not really heavy, and when you are hunting you need the gun ready,
not on your back. That and I know where the muzzle is. If I slip and fall I can
make sure that it does not point at me, if it were on my back I'd have
no idea where it was pointing if I fell or tripped.

What do you use to carry the squirrel meat? And also other stuff? I bought a backpack today. It's a camo type thing that looks like it has enough room for assorted stuff in it. I've got to find a cooler though for the squirrel meat.

I just use a pack. I sometimes use frozen rice and sometimes use ice in
ziploc bags for cooling. Also, I store the meat in ziploc bags. A camo pack
will do great. Bring extra water to wash your hands and the meat (milk
or soda bottle works well). Also, snacks. Whenever I have to wait them
out alot I get bored and hungry. [grin]

I am going to bring some gloves with me, those rubber ones. That should make it easy to clean the squirrels without getting my hands all nasty.

I use a sling. If I ever do get a deer, I figure I'll need both hands free to drag the thing, so the sling will come in handy.

So much talk about shotguns, the ONLY difference between a .12 ga and a 20ga. is the number of pellets. Range is the same and not a whole lot of noticeble difference in Velocity etc.( when talking the same Barrel Length, choke and type of shell, usually higher Velocity under these circumstaces will create a less effective shot pattern)
410 is great for Squirrel and Rabbit.
I have used 6 or 8 shot 20 ga for Turkey and have had very good luck. I use a Short barrel Rem 1300 or a longer barrel Winchester Model 12. Full or Modified, I use cheap shells been known to fire several boxes of the old Plastic Activ Shells, Partridge kill has no noticable difference.
When using slugs, be sure to remove the chokes or they may become Fully OPEN..... My Model 12 is Great, hold the trigger and work the pump. Trees have no leaves where I hunt, long before the rest of the Woods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom