Shotgun or revolver?

DickWanner

Banned
I already own a Glock 29 and 22 (with a complete 24 upper for the range[grin]) and I want to buy another gun, but I think I should branch out from Glocks.

I was thinking of either a shotgun or revolver. Neither are going to play any HD/SD roles and be purely for BTSOOT (blowing the chit out of things) at the range. For revolver I was thinking S&W .460 or .500, but those can be pricey from what I've seen. I honestly have no clue about shotguns but something big, bad, and cool would be what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? The louder the boom and the bigger the hole left would be key factors in my decision [smile]

Come to an NES shoot -- several of the members have some handguns that would fit the bill. (Gotta be an NES member in order to attend the shoots)

Last edited:
Don't even think about getting a .500 or .460 if you don't reload, and yet plan to shoot a lot.

For half the price of one of those revolvers, you can get a Saiga 12 semi-auto shotgun that looks like an AK with a sewer pipe for a barrel, and feed it five 12 gauge slugs for the cost of one round of factory .460 Magnum.
pix1579161484.jpg

Last edited:
Don't even think about getting a .500 or .460 if you don't reload, and yet plan to shoot a lot.

For half the price of one of those revolvers, you can get a Saiga 12 semi-auto shotgun that looks like an AK with a sewer pipe for a barrel, and feed it five 12 gauge slugs for the cost of one round of factory .460 Magnum.
pix1579161484.jpg
I think I had a coworked who had one of those. Aside from being semi-auto what would make it better than a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?
And can someone school me about the different types of slugs/shot/etc that are used in shotguns? I mean like can you use any 12 guage round in any 12 guage.

Check out the photos from the pumpkin shoot we had in November or the car shoot we had in september. Both were a Blast[mg]

Aside from being semi-auto what would make it better than a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?
You can easily swap barrels on both the Remington and Mossberg, changing their purpose (HD to goose hunting to trap to deer hunting to whatever). The upside of the Saiga is... well.. just look at the friggin' thing!

And can someone school me about the different types of slugs/shot/etc that are used in shotguns? I mean like can you use any 12 guage round in any 12 guage.

Just for the record, it's "gauge".

The maximum length of the shell (2-3/4", 3", etc) is marked on the barrel. You can use any round that is equal to, or shorter than the length specified. As far as what's in it, you can fire bird shot or buckshot through any barrel, you don't want to fire slugs through a choked barrel that's not designed for it. A "choke" is a restriction - a smaller diameter area - near the end of the barrel designed to concentrate a shot charge. A choke can either be built into the barrel, or be a tube that can be swapped out. There are different diameters of chokes that are named things like "improved cylinder, "modified", and "full". There are also variable chokes that you can set to the desired restriction. Chokes are generally used for shooting clays or birds.

If you plan to reload ammo I'd say get the S+W 500 mag.I have 2 and love them however as mentioned above they are not very cost effective to say the leastat about $2.00 per roundThen again you probably won't want to shoot the thing all day either.Otherwise I'd say go with the 12ga.They're cheap,fun and not much(that you can own legally)will make a bigger hole.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom