Shotgun capacity

short answer 5 round magazine for semi-automatic otherwise you run amok high capacity feeding device. As many as your tube will fit on your pump action.

I've seen shops in MA selling Mossberg 930 JM Pro shotguns that hold 9+1 and 10+1 so you can certainly have more than 5+1. That's about as much as I know with shotgun capacity in MA. Hell, those KSG shotguns hold 12 shells right? And those are sold by FFLs in MA so.

- - - Updated - - -

So a 9 shot 590 is compliant?

Yes

keep in mind that hunting laws may restrict the number of shells your shotgun can hold. so if you are hunting, check those regs as well

0+0

I never keep mine loaded, because everyone knows that all you have to do is pump the action and bad guys run away.

Doesn't this all come down to what kind of license the shotgun holder has?

No, it comes down to deliberately confusing law. A 5 round tube on a Mossberg will surely hold more then 5 rounds if you are loading it with shorter shells.

No, it comes down to deliberately confusing law. A 5 round tube on a Mossberg will surely hold more then 5 rounds if you are loading it with shorter shells.

Now my head is really going to explode because I thought FID card holders could NOT possess a shotgun capable of holding more than 5 shells.
Ok load up shorter shells you may get 6 rounds in there, but adding a mag extension on there to now hold 9 seems like a no-no.

Now my head is really going to explode because I thought FID card holders could NOT possess a shotgun capable of holding more than 5 shells.
Ok load up shorter shells you may get 6 rounds in there, but adding a mag extension on there to now hold 9 seems like a no-no.

I mean, don't lose any sleep over it, no one else seems too. I was trolling and adding to the conversation.

Yes:
A LTC Class A entitles the holder to possess a large capacity firearm (pistol or revolver), rifle or shotgun. (See G.L. c. 140, §121 for the definition of large capacity). A LTC Class B entitles the holder to possess a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. A FID entitles the holder to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.

Need either flavor of LTC, not just the FID.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

Edit: added link.

This is not accurate.

What is the definition of a "non-large capacity shotgun"?

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

Maybe I read the above wrong. I just re-read it - so if the shotgun in question is a pump than it can hold more than 5 rounds? But if it is a semi, it can not?

Maybe I read the above wrong. I just re-read it - so if the shotgun in question is a pump than it can hold more than 5 rounds? But if it is a semi, it can not?

Yes so in other words. All pumps, levers, breaks, bolts etc are all FID guns. Most Semi's shotguns are also FID guns.

Its true that a pump shotgun will not be considered a “Large capacity weapon”

However, on a pump or auto, a tube that holds more than 5 shells is considered a large capacity feeding device

Its not the firearm that is the problem, its just the magazine tube.

SJan: you have one of the little oddities of the MGLs. As far as anyone can tell, the issue has never come up in a legal sense (no one has ever been prosecuted for it). And, when you add in the fact that shorter-than-normal shells are available that will let you stuff more rounds in.....

Basically, pump OK; auto, potentially an LTC gun.

awesome.jpg

Its true that a pump shotgun will not be considered a “Large capacity weapon”

However, on a pump or auto, a tube that holds more than 5 shells is considered a large capacity feeding device

Its not the firearm that is the problem, its just the magazine tube.

This makes a lot more sense to me now.
Thanks guys.

At the pumpkin shoot I found out my moss dose not like the mini slugs. I have one of the 500's that was sold under a different name .
I found out fast they like to flip 90 degs down and get jammed inside the elevator assembly on mine. I basically had to baby the action or help guide the shell in.
I think it might of held 10 or 9+1

At the pumpkin shoot I found out my moss dose not like the mini slugs. I have one of the 500's that was sold under a different name .
I found out fast they like to flip 90 degs down and get jammed inside the elevator assembly on mine. I basically had to baby the action or help guide the shell in.
I think it might of held 10 or 9+1

10 sounds about right. It doesn't matter if the gun functions with them or not, the magazine capacity is the problem. Not that anyone should really care, just adding for conversations sake.

I have a mossberg 930 spx. (Semi) If I remember correctly, it depends on the evil feature count on your gun, if it's a semi. If you have a pistol grip, like mine, you're limited to 5+1, regular stock your not limited, because your not over your evil feature limit.

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

NOTE: Given (D) this means that break open, pump, bolt action shotguns are exempt from the AWB.

I've seen shops in MA selling Mossberg 930 JM Pro shotguns that hold 9+1 and 10+1 so you can certainly have more than 5+1. That's about as much as I know with shotgun capacity in MA. Hell, those KSG shotguns hold 12 shells right? And those are sold by FFLs in MA so.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes

KSG's technically have two mag tubes, so that would be 2 six round tubes. No?

My HD gun holds 7 in the tube, the mini's I think I can fit like 12 or 14 (and they run reasonably well too so long as I give a solid pump)

Back
Top Bottom