• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun capacity

The existence of mini-shells throws this into the ridiculous arena! Even my Rem 1100 skeet/trap (semi-auto) shotgun would be "large capacity" based on holding 3 regular or 6 mini-shells (doubt it would operate, but they would fit)! Even for hunting purposes, if EPOs wanted to be hard-ass, every shotgun could exceed what is allowed for some hunting!

It's a terrible law and the "unintended consequences" aspect is just mind-boggling.

I've reported what EOPS position is, which is contrary to the "black letter of the law" wrt large capacity feeding devices. Each person has to figure out what they are going to do with that info and proceed accordingly.

I was in a gun shop last week, and a Fudd or an anti was arguing with the store owner about the 'large capacity' shotguns he was selling. Was saying that the shop couldn't sell the shotguns with expanded magazines to anyone with an FID. Then went on to say even regular shotguns couldn't be purchased by people with FIDs because they 'could' be modified after the fact to accept more shells. The Gun shop owner handled the Fudd quite nicely. Nicer than I would have if I owned the joint.

I always thought that the large capacity referred to a removable magazine. Not a fixed magazine like on a shotgun, or a mosin etc etc.

For example, and I may be wrong, but I thought I had seen someone in MA modify a mosin so that it had a 30 round fixed magazine. Maybe it wasn't in MA.

And NO Marsha, I have not modified my Mosin like that!

I always thought that the large capacity referred to a removable magazine. Not a fixed magazine like on a shotgun, or a mosin etc etc.

The large capacity feeding device law specifically says "fixed or removable." If you read the actual law it's crystal clear that fixed capacity shotgun tube magazines, in and of themselves, are not legal if they hold more that five shotgun shells. The ONLY exceptions in the actual MGLs are for "an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition," pre-bans, and cops / retired cops.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131M
Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

Letter of the law aside, it appears that our overlords on Beacon Hill look the other way when it comes to shotguns. (At least for now.)

This has been discussed to death here about a thousand times for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I've seen shops in MA selling Mossberg 930 JM Pro shotguns that hold 9+1 and 10+1 so you can certainly have more than 5+1. That's about as much as I know with shotgun capacity in MA. Hell, those KSG shotguns hold 12 shells right? And those are sold by FFLs in MA so.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes
KSG is 14+1 with 2 3/4 shells

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Isn't the above true for virtually every tube fed shotgun made?

Isn't the above true for virtually every tube fed shotgun made?

Yes. And most especially if you consider "mini-shells" (1/2 the height of normal 12 ga shells), as even a 3-rd tube can then hold 6!

EOPS has "interpreted" tube fed shotguns as never "large capacity feeding devices", but black-letter of the law says otherwise (as you quoted above).

So there's the ban on "Assault Weapon" OR "large capacity feeding device." How does that apply to a shotgun WITH a fixed large capacity feeding device? I don't see it.

But, if I separate the 8rd tube from my semi-auto.... [shocked]

Last edited:
So there's the ban on "Assault Weapon" OR "large capacity feeding device." How does that apply to a shotgun WITH a fixed large capacity feeding device? I don't see it.

But, if I separate the 8rd tube from my semi-auto.... [shocked]

Read this entire thread from the beginning. Both Jasons and myself have answered this question many times with the best info available. Then make your own decision.

Back
Top Bottom