Shotgun, 12ga or 20ga?

It takes a special kind of stupid to blow up a gun in this manner.

Was shooting skeet a few months back with a guy who was shooting a 12ga semi. At station 8 high he had a FTF. He waited... opened the bolt... nothing. He was totally confused. Rest of the squad was totally confused. We looked around, no shell on the ground. He was just about to load another and go, but we all yelled and made him take it down and check the barrel and sure enough he had 20ga stuck in there. And this guy was a seasoned shooter... He said he got the box of shells from a friend who was a reloader, who was loading lighter loads for him. Apparently the friend gifted him a single 20 ga shell at the bottom of the box. So bad shit can happen to good shooters... always be safe and check the barrels with any malfunction.

What about barrel lengths? Trap/skeet = longer barrel? Home Defense = shorter barrel? Or pick up something like a 500 all purpose with a couple of different barrels?

What about barrel lengths? Trap/skeet = longer barrel? Home Defense = shorter barrel? Or pick up something like a 500 all purpose with a couple of different barrels?
Trap long barrel.....skeet shorter barrel......hd real short barrel. Both my old browning a5 (fixed full 28 inch and fixed modified 26 inch) and my Mossberg 500s (30 inch, 28 inch, and 24 inch plus a rifled barrel with iron sights) have multiple barrels in the safe to be used for different things.

Last edited:
i would get the 12 guage. You can ALWAYS use very light loads in it it that is your concern. It would just be much more flexible, especially for your first shotgun

Back
Top Bottom