• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun, 12ga or 20ga?

Don't own any shotguns and I want to add one to the safe....
Thinking about finally buying a shotgun, can't decide whether I should buy a 12ga or 20ga.
Likely get an entry level shotgun for now because I'm cheap. Something primarily to take to the range.
Which ammo is more widely available, 12ga or 20ga? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't shoot 20ga so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe 12ga ammo is easier to find and it's cheaper. It's America's caliber. Grab a Mossberg 500 12ga and don't look back.

12 gauge birdshot ammo is the cheapest ammo out there besides probably .22LR. It really depends what you're going to use the shotgun for. Shotguns also aren't "range guns" like an AR15 is or an AK is since a lot of clubs around here severely restrict shooting of shotguns on rifle ranges. If you're going to shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, 3 gun or you're going to hunt, then you need a shotgun that more or less fits the requirement of that sport (within reason).

In terms of recoil, 20 gauge is significantly less than 12, however 12 is much easier to get a variety of ammo for if you're on your way to a skeet shoot and you stop off at Dick's or Wal Mart in the morning.

Used Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge for less than $400. Done.

I bought a Remington 870 at dicks. The "tactical express" model. It was 299 on sale, and it's a nice gun. When I was deciding on the 870 or 500 it seemed like they were pretty evenly split as far as popularity. I went with the 870 to save $50 and because I liked the cross bolt safety better than the tang safety.

Edit: purchased a 12g for ammo availability, defensive application, and because 'murica.

Last edited:
How versatile is the 870? Say I was interested in deer, turkey, and possibly ducks? Are there enough barrel and choke options that I can swap out on the 870 for a single-gun tool for all jobs?

How versatile is the 870? Say I was interested in deer, turkey, and possibly ducks? Are there enough barrel and choke options that I can swap out on the 870 for a single-gun tool for all jobs?

Yes. Get a used Wingmaster with a 26" or 28" barrel then buy a slug barrel of your choice (smoothbore, cantilever, etc.).

If you plan on the wife shooting it, get the 20 unless she can manage the recoil of the 12. If she is a small woman get a youth 20. 870 is a good choice for the 12.

Mossy 500 or remy 870 are the swiss army knife of fire arms. You can hunt any game in new england with one and also shoot trap skeet or three gun plus defend your home. Every gun owner needs a pump shotty. 12 gauge is more versatile imo.

If your thinking slugs for deer a 12 gauge in pump action without a recoil pad is punishing to shoot without a recoil pad on it. 20 gauge slugs for deer is more than needed (having seen many deer killed with 20s and 12s). Yet for ducks you really need the 12. For a single gun for all applications go with a semi auto (tames recoil) in 12 and get one with good recoil pad or have one added. But you only shoot a few slugs versus number of shot shells.

12 gauge.

If you are looking for an inexpensive and reliable pump I would go with a Mossberg 500. If you want an automatic then I like the Remington 1100. I have both and you can't go wrong with either one. Neither one will put you in the poor house and especially if you buy used.

I used to have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge back in the mid 80s. Nice gun however ammo wasn't as easy to find and it wasn't any cheaper. I got the 1100 in 12 and sold the Mossberg 20. Never regretted it. When my Dad died I got his Mossberg 500 in 12.

I'm a really small guy and I own a 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1. It's the only shotgun I've ever fired and I find the "slow push" recoil almost makes me take a step back after I fire it. It doesn't "kick" or hurt my shoulder...It just pushes me backwards. I'd really like to try a 20 gauge and see if it works better for me. Here's a neat Massad Ayoob article that does some comparisons between the two.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/consider-the-20-gauge-shotgun/

While 20 gauges do recoil less it can be offset by the lighter weight of many 20 gauge shotguns. If you shoot lighter loads out of a relatively heavy 12 gauge the recoil can be quite light.

A box of 25 12 gauge bird shot shells run about $5 if you shop around. Hard to beat that.

12 gauge birdshot ammo is the cheapest ammo out there besides probably .22LR. It really depends what you're going to use the shotgun for. Shotguns also aren't "range guns" like an AR15 is or an AK is since a lot of clubs around here severely restrict shooting of shotguns on rifle ranges. If you're going to shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, 3 gun or you're going to hunt, then you need a shotgun that more or less fits the requirement of that sport (within reason).

In terms of recoil, 20 gauge is significantly less than 12, however 12 is much easier to get a variety of ammo for if you're on your way to a skeet shoot and you stop off at Dick's or Wal Mart in the morning.

Used Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge for less than $400. Done.

20 gauge is not less recoil than 12 gauge you need to take into account the type of shotshell load and weight of the gun.
A 1oz slug going 1650 fps out of a 7.5 - 8 lb 12g will have less energy coming back into you as a 6lb 20 gauge.

The 12g 870 28" barrel with removable choke is a hard do it all shotgun to beat for the price. You can find some decent deals on used older wingmasters. The aftermarket and ease of changing out stocks and barrels make the 870 hard to beat.

12 gauge will offer the largest variety of ammo at both types of loads and price

To me, 12 gauge ammo of every variety seems more widely available than 20 gauge, just my personal experience. If you're shooting shot, 12 gauge has more of it. That being said, I'm not a fan of a 3.5" chamber, personally, but whatever floats your boat.

I own both an 870 and a 500 and I prefer the tang safety on the 500. Personally, I NEVER engage a cross-bolt safety, but will engage the tang because it's right there. Otherwise, they're both tanks, and can both be had for low low prices. It's all about going bang for low low prices.

We gave both / both: 12ga 870 and 20 ga Mossberg.

Mossberg is better for lefties.

No comparison, much wider range of ammo for 12ga for any purpose. "Tactical" loads generally kick less than hunting loads. You can also buy 12ga "mini slugs" which our kids handle no problem.

I would say go with 12 due to availability of a variety of shells. If you go down the Walmart aisle there are multiple types of birdshot bulk packs and many different sizes of shot available in 12 but only a handful in 20.

Also get a shotgun with chokes, because two clear outlets for shooting your shotgun at the club (skeet and trap) really need you to have the barrel constriction in a certain range. It will be discouraging to keep missing if the barrel can't change chokes.

Finally, for recoil between making sure it is properly fitted for you (the mossberg or the remmington one might fit you a little better) and getting a good recoil pad that will do more to curb recoil than thinking about 12 vs 20 when comparing pump shotguns.

Last edited:
20 ammo is going to cost you more money due to volume and 12 ammo has many different options at less of a cost.

Yes I own both gauges. 3 12's and a 20 that also has .410 tubes.

I own both an 870 and a 500 and I prefer the tang safety on the 500. Personally, I NEVER engage a cross-bolt safety, but will engage the tang because it's right there.
Agreed - I can't stand crossbolt safeties and never use them. We were forced to use them during Appleseed and it sucked. Safety location is one of the reasons I got a 500 instead of an 870, along with it having a far superior shell lifter design that stays up and makes loading much easier. Plus my 500 cost me $230 and I never have to deal with Remington's garbage customer service or recent quality hickups.

Agreed - I can't stand crossbolt safeties and never use them. We were forced to use them during Appleseed and it sucked. Safety location is one of the reasons I got a 500 instead of an 870, along with it having a far superior shell lifter design that stays up and makes loading much easier. Plus my 500 cost me $230 and I never have to deal with Remington's garbage customer service or recent quality hickups.
Not all Remingtons are created equal. How about an 80's Police when they were built on their own line?
i-LxctPQ6-L.jpg

Not all Remingtons are created equal. How about an 80's Police when they were built on their own line?
i-LxctPQ6-L.jpg
I've heard great things about the older Remingtons, yes. Still no Mossberg, imo, because of some of the things I mentioned previously.

Back
Top Bottom