Shot 9mm bullet out of a .40 gun

Wow, serious out-yourself thread. Add me to the list. I did it to a guy's P226 just assuming he'd bought a 9mm like I had. Slapped in my 9mm mag and figured out my error on the first shot. He's actually a Boston cop now too.

I almost fired a 10mm cartridge through a 45ACP gun. I had both a stainless steel 1911 and a stainless steel Delta Elite out on the bench. I intended to shoot the Delta Elite, but accidentally picked up the 1911 instead. The Delta Elite magazine fit perfectly into the 1911 frame. When I chambered the first round, the entire 10mm cartridge dribbled out of the barrel and landed at my feet. I figured that was a clue that something was wrong, so I unloaded and discovered my mistake.

Back then I was teaching NRA Basic Pistol classes, so I demonstrated that mistake, using dummy rounds.

I have a .380 case that got in with the 9mm brass and it got through and I loaded it. It was a weird primer seat feel so I grabbed it off the 650 and checked it out. The bullet was seated to the right 9mm depth. I am going to pull the bullet but just out of curiosity, would it shoot or blow up? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have never shot the wrong caliber but I once had my Glock 22 and Ruger P95 out at the same time and filled the Ruger mag with .40 rounds. I realized it when it wouldn't chamber a round. Funny is the mag only took 7 or 8 rounds instead of 10.

A friend did the same thing, but with a Beretta CX4. It didn't cause any permanent injury, but it destroyed the gun. The 9mm didn't fire though, it was too deep in the chamber.

I have a .380 case that got in with the 9mm brass and it got through and I loaded it. It was a weird primer seat feel so I grabbed it off the 650 and checked it out. The bullet was seated to the right 9mm depth. I am going to pull the bullet but just out of curiosity, would it shoot or blow up? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It most likely wouldn't chamber as the .380 is more straight walled than the 9mm. However, If it did chamber I would think it would shoot and not eject.

It most likely wouldn't chamber as the .380 is more straight walled than the 9mm. However, If it did chamber I would think it would shoot and not eject.

It would chamber just fine. A 380 is straight walled but about .02 smaller at the base than a 9mm. As long as the extractor caught it while feeding it would probably fire fine but split the case and may not extract.

Back
Top Bottom