Shot 9mm bullet out of a .40 gun

Alex9661

NES Member
Went shooting with my buddy who wanted to compare his Gen3 G23 to my Gen4 G19. Well, with two similar guns sitting on the bench next to each other, the inevitable happened. My buddy( I swear it wasn't me) loaded my mag into his gun and pulled the trigger. The gun fired but didn't cycle. The most interesting thing is he hit the steel plate at 25? yards at BRP outdoor range.

Sorry, we cleared the gun, and the case landed in a big pile of spent steel (steel, not brass, we were shooting Tula) that went into a trash can.

2955e5bd9a3d3d675b7e1e861ee55ed6.jpg
here is mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a hunter safety class they had a cut-away 12G pump shotgun. They gave a great demonstration of how to blow it up. First you load a 12g then 20g round into the magazine. The first pump would chamber a 20g round and when you pull the trigger the firing pin would slap the round deep into the chamber, but not hit it hard enough to guarantee ignition. After thinking "dud" the next pump would chamber the 12g round behind the 20g round which went into the barrel. The next pull of the trigger would ruin your day.

Ive seen the 9 shot from 40 several times, other than blowing out the brass and key holing through the target, its usually uneventful.

Yet another reason never to own a 40. lol

I wonder if this is more dangerous with steel cased ammo than brass. As the picture above shows, the 9mm (brass) case expands to fill the larger 40 SW chamber, and I'm guessing that helps direct most gas forward.

There's a few demolition ranch videos of him shooting the wrong caliber out of guns. Pretty cool videos and seems to work more then I thought it would

Ok, I'll admit it. I made a similar mistake once. Brought both 40S&W and 357 sig handloads to the range to play with my G31 and a 40S&W conversion barrel. Switched back and forth a couple of times to compare accuracy, recoil etc. then got sidetracked by a buddy who stopped by. When I went back to shooting I stuffed in a preloaded mag andsent the first round down range. It sounded very weak. I saw the impact though and the gun did cycle so wrote it off to a low charge and fired another. Same thing. Then it dawned on me. DOH!! On checkign the mag I found I had fired a pair of 357 sig rounds out of the 40 S&W barrel. FWIW, the fired brass looked ok (as it was largely supported by the 40 S&W chamber). The neck fire formed from 357 to 40 nicely though.

FWIW, I felt really dumb for letting myself get distracted like that. Dangerous stuff! The reassuring news is that had it been the other way around, the 40 round never would have allowed the gun into battery if I tried to stuff it into a 357sig chamber. In any case, it won't happen again.

Been there, done that, but didn't get the t-shirt as I didn't want anyone to know...

That's why I shoot one caliber for pistol. And for rifles 556 and 54r no way to make that mistake lol .

I did watch a Nes member at a Nes shoot shoot half a mag of 5.56 and 5.45 out of a ak 74 chambered in 5.45

Where was the RO? He should be paying more attention when more than one gun is on the firing line at same station. Kudos to the RO who double checked when I had two different 9mm on bench at same time. "Let's all be careful out there". [emoji4][emoji41][emoji4]

Where was the RO? He should be paying more attention when more than one gun is on the firing line at same station. Kudos to the RO who double checked when I had two different 9mm on bench at same time. "Let's all be careful out there". [emoji4][emoji41][emoji4]

image.png

Went shooting with my buddy who wanted to compare his Gen3 G23 to my Gen4 G19. Well, with two similar guns sitting on the bench next to each other, the inevitable happened. My buddy( I swear it wasn't me) loaded my mag into his gun and pulled the trigger. The gun fired but didn't cycle. The most interesting thing is he hit the steel plate at 25? yards at BRP outdoor range.

"The inevitable happenned"

If you say so.

In a hunter safety class they had a cut-away 12G pump shotgun. They gave a great demonstration of how to blow it up. First you load a 12g then 20g round into the magazine. The first pump would chamber a 20g round and when you pull the trigger the firing pin would slap the round deep into the chamber, but not hit it hard enough to guarantee ignition. After thinking "dud" the next pump would chamber the 12g round behind the 20g round which went into the barrel. The next pull of the trigger would ruin your day.

Independent has the remnants of a nice Browning that had that happen with a 16ga. ahead of a twelve. Still looking for the guy's finger and thumb.

Uhh.

I know someone (me) who shot a .40 out of a .45. Twice in the same day...

Me too [thinking] and my case is a dupe of yours in the photo. Actually, I also did it 2x but not in one day. I loaded an odd ball .40 in a mag of 45 each time. Live and learn.

Are you for real?
Never been a member of a club that needed one and won't ever be a member of a club that requires one.

Ive seen the 9 shot from 40 several times, other than blowing out the brass and key holing through the target, its usually uneventful.

Yet another reason never to own a 40. lol
or maybe a reason to won one. ammo versatility.

So, does this mean if you own a .45 you can shoot .40 and 9mm out of it? If so, I think that proves what the best caliber is, in the zombie apocalypse a .45 can shoot any smaller cartridge!

I know someone (me) who shot a .40 out of a .45. Twice in the same day...

2955e5bd9a3d3d675b7e1e861ee55ed6.jpg
here is mine

Me too [thinking] and my case is a dupe of yours in the photo. Actually, I also did it 2x but not in one day. I loaded an odd ball .40 in a mag of 45 each time. Live and learn.

I did the same thing once! And my cases looked like that pic too.

I had both .40 and .45 ammo on the bench and grabbed a handful of .40 instead of .45, proceeded to load the mag while walking downrange and talking with Jim Conway. No damage to my 1911 or me, but learned a valuable lesson.

I'm a BR&P RO and will tell you that I never challenge people with more than one gun on the bench and in fact do it myself. When I'm done shooting one gun, I let it sit there to cool off before re-casing it, while shooting another gun. I do remove the ammo (if a different caliber) however and will put away the mags (most of the time) before shooting the 2nd gun.

Back
Top Bottom