Shopping list for reloading equipment

You might want to get a case gauge to check your finished product for diameter and overall length. You'll need one for each size caliber that you make.

+1000... A case guage is a must have, for a reloader or even someone
that shoots commercially reloaded ammo. I have lost track of the times
the amount of failures I've seen due to "out of spec" cartridges getting jammed
in the chamber and the like because they're not shaped right. None of those
rounds would have passed a case guage. It's cheap insurance.

-Mike

Hey Chris,

In addition to my list in post 2, I'll also recommend that for handgun calibers, instead of using a combination seating/crimping die, you use a separate crimping dies (Lee Factory Crimp dies are good).

Also, start thinking about storage and organization. You're going to end up with new brass, once-fired brass, many-times-fired brass, dirty brass, tumbled clean brass, and bullets in multiple calibers. You'll want to keep all of this stuff separated and organized. You'll also have primers, powder, tools, and other supplies.

I was lucky enough to get about 3 dozen of the stackable bins shown here 3rd from the bottom, as well as a couple dozen of the other sizes for nothing when my company was downsizing:

FloatLinbin.jpg

If you can find anything like these, they're perfect.

Chris, I suggest you start by deciding on which press you want- it's easy from there. The list of "extras" will vary slightly after you pick the press. The first cople posts include the required items. Other things can be picked up as needed. Hint- think red..

Oh my... PistolPete- I think your name is associated with every single thread where someone suggests a progressive press that isn't a Dillon. LOL.

Seriously you should try them. There are many good companies that couldn't keep their lead when the competition catches up. [wink]

Oh my... PistolPete- I think your name is associated with every single thread where someone suggests a progressive press that isn't a Dillon. LOL.

Seriously you should try them. There are many good companies that couldn't keep their lead when the competition catches up. [wink]

I've tried many others with great disappointment. However, I've yet to try the Hornady LNL and am curious how that compares to a 650.

I think you should add a chronograph to the top of your list. Loading manuals are just suggestions, you'll want to know what your loads are doing out of your barrel.

Last edited:
Off to Riley's, credit card in hand. I'm going progressive, probably Dillon 550. Going to take the advice of the salesman for the other stuff. Will also pick up large pistol primers, powder, and bullets. I have about 1000 .45ACP brass casings sitting in my basement. With any luck I'll have a few ready for shooting on Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Look at the Hornady Lock-N-Load, although you will NOT go wrong with a 550.

Wait regarding the chrono; you need reloading manuals (note plural!), scale, dies, FCDs and cartridge gauges a lot more. Unless you are independently wealthy, prioritization is in order.

Are case trays (or reloading blocks) a thing of the past with progressive presses? I haven't seen anyone mentioning them yet.

They are useful for spraying case lube making them available for inspection before putting them in the press. That is the stage where I spot mixed in .40 or .380 brass. They are not necessary as a bag of loose brass is all you need to feed the shell plate.

I don't buy them, I use the ammo carriers that come with PMC ammunition. Other brands also have adequate carriers like Blazer aluminum in 9mm. I have a few on the wish list as I am going to be adding support for single stage reloading soon.

I also want to chime and in and recommend not getting the Speer or Lee reloading manuals. The load data is not very broad nor useful for the bullets I use. The Lyman manual is good and has a bunch of cast bullet data with a good variety of powders.

Roger the Lyman manual. I find the Speer manual VERY limited.

Don't forget the net - all the powder manufacturers have data available on their sites.

Don't forget the net - all the powder manufacturers have data available on their sites.

I have the Lee manual I received when I purchased their C-Press as a decapping station (best $29 I ever spent). I cross reference that with all the data on the net - including the manufacturer of the powder I'm using.

At $35 - $50 a manual, I can't justify a $1,000 reloading library when it is readily available on the net for free.

After about 400 miles of driving around today, from Hookset NH to parts unknown, I ended up at Kittery Trading Post. I left some $600 on the Mastercard lighter but with:
Dillon RL 550B
.45ACP plate for above
Set of RCBS .45ACP dies
Dillon beam scale
Electric Case tumbler
Hand case trimmer, chamfer die

media for tumbler
1000 large pistol primers
500 230 grain .45ACP FMJ Bullets
One jar of Winchester 231 powder

One confused as hell future reloader. I've been putting this crap together for a couple of hours now. The 550 seems really well built but the assembly instructions suck to say the least. I gave up for tonight, tomorrow is another day. Thanks to all who helped out with info. I am sure to be back to this topic soon asking for more help.

Believe me Exec, you are not alone.. I just finished buying about $1000 in reloading supplies and equipment so I can reload my .223's for competitions for High Power this year.

Now I have to really follow the reloading steps that a fellow member here kindly sent me so I can get the process rolling. Should be fun tho :)

Now I have to really follow the reloading steps that a fellow member here kindly sent me so I can get the process rolling. Should be fun tho :)
Fun? Strange... I never really considered it fun. Although it wasn't too bad as my friend and I went in on the equipment together, so we reloaded together, which made the tedium less. For me, the fun part was shooting what we reloaded.

'Course, I was younger then than Brent is now, so maybe the old folks consider that fun... [wink]

I like reloading, I think it's fun... Tuesday I came home to find my 2 boxes from Midway, and my bullet order waiting for me. I set the press up and got everything adjusted Tuesday night, then last night I ran off 50 rounds to test out a new load for 40S&W.

I don't particularly enjoy reloading. I do it so I can shoot lots rounds in lots of oddball (and expensive) handgun calibers.

Once I find a load I like, I tend to reload in quantities of 500-2000. That's why I bought a self-indexing press with a case feeder.

Back
Top Bottom