• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting/Training and Gun Videos, post them here.

The best reason for loading dummy rounds isn't dealing with malfunctions, that's the side benefit. The primary advantage is finding out if you're still raping the trigger, flinching or pushing the gun while firing.

If you're out with a bunch of buddies, load each other's mags throughout the day and mix dummy rounds in randomly.

The target will tell you if you are flinching, plus a pre or post ignition push can only be analyzed at the target

The target will tell you if you are flinching, plus a pre or post ignition push can only be analyzed at the target

I agree, but sometimes beginners are a bit, shall we say, stubborn. A lot of guys like to think they don't flinch and nothing is better than dummy rounds and a video camera to shame them towards humble [grin]

first rounds through my new STI DVC ... steel plates sounds funny on iphone slow mo

Very nice Sean; I look forward to seeing it first hand as I'm sure the vid doesn't do it justice.

Last edited by a moderator:

I still have more video, but it's just crazy time consuming to chop it right meow.

what do you think of the WOTG sling? I just got one, can't tell yet whether I like it or not. I've been rocking a VCAS for the past few years, so the WOTG sling just feels so different

what do you think of the WOTG sling? I just got one, can't tell yet whether I like it or not. I've been rocking a VCAS for the past few years, so the WOTG sling just feels so different

I like mine, its so lightweight and simple it just works. I don't like the paracord loops and I swap my uppers around so often I put QD studs on mine. Kinda blows the minimalist thing away but whatever. It's a good sling. I run that or a sheriff of baghdad 99% of the time.

ARFCOM has a few drills/challenges that the guys on there came up with for guys to try to beat each other at, i havent tried the "ague challenge" myself yet but it looks fun.

To reiterate - current standing COF without any proposed changes -

Target - 8x11.5" sheet of paper oriented vertically at 100 yards

Shooters may place a barrier anywhere between 100-15 yards

Shooters may carry a sidearm and engage with it

Barrier and sidearm are optional

1. Start at 100 yard line with unloaded weapon - audible or visible signal starts time
2. Run to target, touch target, and return to 100 yard line
3. Load weapon and fire 3 rounds
4. Bound from 100 yards in 3-5 second bounds, taking up a prone position after each bound - except at the optional barrier
5. Fire at least one 3-round engagement between 100-75 yards, 75-50 yards, 50-25 yards, 25-0 yards
6. Close to 5 yards, announce "LOA," and return to the starting line with expediency
7. React to counter-attack by firing a minimum of 3 rounds at the target from the starting line (100 yards)

In addition - based on what I've been seeing, though I will need to get scoring on the four runs (thornejc, EVR, EVR, and 449) - I think the "SCORE H" model is probably going to be most productive -

SCORE H consists of:

1. Total Elapsed time.

2. Marksmanship -

0-16 hits - UNQUALIFIED
17-22 hits - MARKSMAN (no time deduction)
23-26 hits - SHARPSHOOTER (30 second time deduction from final combined time)
27-30 hits - EXPERT (1 minute time deduction from final combined time)

In addition - Target Score is multiplied x2, with each "point" corresponding to 1 second added to combined score

3. Defilade Time -

7 seconds per defilade position allotted
Each 1/10th of a second over 7 seconds = 1 second penalty
ONLY penalties are added to the combined time
Defilade Time penalties in excess of 4 minutes and 30 seconds (4:30.0) will result in an UNQUALIFIED score

4. Exposure Time -

5 seconds per exposure allotted
Each 1/10th of a second over 5 seconds = 1 second penalty
ALL Exposure Time, including actual exposures AND penalties are added together
TOTAL Exposure Time is multiplied x1.5 THEN added to combined time
Exposure Time totals after 1.5x weighting in excess of 6 minutes and 15 seconds (6:15.0) will result in an UNQUALIFIED score
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

For clarity's sake:

Total combined score will be expressed in a SINGLE TIME which includes the target score (x2), marksmanship deductions, DT, and ET (x1.5)

If a shooter is UNQUALIFIED in ANY of the 3 qualification categories, his or her score will be followed by an "UNQ" with the events that the shooter DID NOT qualify in parenthesis - "TGT" for marksmanship/target, "DT" for Defilade Time, and "ET" for Exposure Time

Thus - a shooter with a total combined score of 6 minutes, 17.3 seconds, who was unqualified for excessive ET would have their score expressed as -

06:17.3 - UNQ (ET)

I think for time sake if doing it in a group and one at a time it would be best to only run halfway to a marker and back, then prone every 10yds to the same 50yd marker and back.

I think for time sake if doing it in a group and one at a time it would be best to only run halfway to a marker and back, then prone every 10yds to the same 50yd marker and back.

It looks to lend itself to modification, so that seems very doable. I wouldn't have an issue being down range a little in that scenario with certain operateurs.

Here's some scenario shooting at my club on the indoor range. We do a monthly group that gets together and each of us runs through one scenario, then debrief as a group and break it down. This one was not a shining moment of mine, but it's good training nonetheless.

At least he was just paper. I did that to a poor guy in a Sims class. He was just hanging out in a dark room. Not a crime... unless I'm responding.... LOL

Anyways. Here is one of about a thousand clips I took from Frank Proctor at Sig the last 2 days. Learned a SHIT TON.

Here's another one from class. Plates at 10 yards. This was called the 'Time Machine'

I'm not going to explain all of the points or theory behind the exercise... you can go take Franks class. :) (actually, just go watch his YT video about it)
He's big on processing information, and as simple as this looked, it was difficult for a lot of guys in the class.

practicing with NES'rs XTRY51, BBQuncle, Atilla, Jamie, and Joe.

I suck and made some stupid moves letting my buddy move while i was loading.

I saw that one on their YT. I should have tried it today. Looks really fun! Nice run at it Andy!

I spent about 30 minutes of my range day today focusing on the FAST Drill. I really like all the mechanics that it works.

7 yards.
2 Rounds to index card from concealment.
Slide Lock Reload from concealment
4 rounds to 8" circle.

I still haven't gotten sub 5, but this was my 5.27 run. I'm averaging about 5.5 lately.

FAST Drill.

It's the reload from concealment that kills me on that drill (and the same with the Triple Nickle drill).

Pulling a t-shirt up and then going for the magazine is so time consuming.

My AIWB draws are are faster than those from behind the hip, but the t-shirt reloads push me over the PAR times.

I'm just gonna leave this right here
Maybe you guys can run it at the next meat up

Back
Top Bottom