Shooting Range Etiquette ?

Another etiquette question-

Many years ago I got a lecture from a guy because I showed up at a public trap night with an auto-loader and no hull catcher. It wasn't the RSO, so I just nodded and said "whatever" under my breath. AFAIK, the guy wasn't even a club member, nor was I, but because his custom Italian O/U was worth more than my truck, he thought his $3 was worth more than mine.

For following rounds I moved to his right, and buckled down on my shooting because I was pissed and wanted to show him up. I shot well, and got no complaints from any of the other shooters.

I went to a couple local shops and they told me a catcher didn't exist for my shotgun, so I just stopped going to public trap night. I just didn't want to hear it. I bought my own Trius thrower and started hitting the local sandpits instead.

Now I plan on taking the very same shotgun to my new club for some trap. Having watched them a few times, I suspect they are not of the same ilk, but just the same, I wonder how other shooters feel about this. Was I a PITA, or was this guy over the top?

Tell him to get a revolver next time! J/k. Flying brass comes with range time with other people. Some ranges have nets you can put down between shooting stations, others don't.

Now I plan on taking the very same shotgun to my new club for some trap. QUOTE]

Good for you!!!
I have seen things like this quite a bit, and always on the skeet/ trap field. Unfortunately, this really can be the "club scene" of the shooting world. This is a place where people go to see and be seen.

I have seen MDs (example here) arrive in their brand new H2 or Lexus Suv, equiped with the most gaudily engraved 20k+ shotguns, Gucci skeet vests, etc. And they make derogatory comments about the great unwashed guy with the rusty pick up and the beat to hell 1100..
And when the 1100 shooter hits double what they did, it is because the 1100 shooter was "ruining their concentration"..

A-holes like that can ruin it for everyone. But nothing is better than watching them aced on the field.

Many years ago I got a lecture from a guy because I showed up at a public trap night with an auto-loader and no hull catcher. It wasn't the RSO, so I just nodded and said "whatever" under my breath. AFAIK, the guy wasn't even a club member, nor was I, but because his custom Italian O/U was worth more than my truck, he thought his $3 was worth more than mine.

For following rounds I moved to his right, and buckled down on my shooting because I was pissed and wanted to show him up. I shot well, and got no complaints from any of the other shooters.

I went to a couple local shops and they told me a catcher didn't exist for my shotgun, so I just stopped going to public trap night. I just didn't want to hear it. I bought my own Trius thrower and started hitting the local sandpits instead.

Now I plan on taking the very same shotgun to my new club for some trap. Having watched them a few times, I suspect they are not of the same ilk, but just the same, I wonder how other shooters feel about this. Was I a PITA, or was this guy over the top?

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I also bought a Trius and just go out on my own. It's a little tricky coordinating teh throw, but it works fine and I don't have to deal with ass-hat snobs

I'm usually the turd in the punchbowl when I go to the range. It's not from flying brass though.

Heh...

Just because you didn't think you made enough noise shooting ONE at a time and started shooting 2, that doesn't make you a bad person. (^_^)

To the Original Poster...

Try being an instructor or IDPA SO and having to stand in the fountain because you need to watch something specific and it's the only place that allows you a decent view. You get used to the barrage after a while. And like someone said, it's good training to learn to ignore what is going on around you and focus on the job at hand.

At an Appleseed last summer, I was shooting next to a .308. Not only was his muzzle device loud as heck, but his casings were landing all over me. Didn't really bother me until one casing managed to fall into the cuff of my shooting jacket and up my arm. Rather than ruin my hard-earned position, I just ignored the hot brass and continued shooting. I walked around for about a month with a great burn mark showing a perfect bottle-neck casing complete with extraction rim.

Such is life. All part of the experience.

If you wear a pocketed shirt make sure the pocket has a flap on it. I caught some .223 brass in the pocket of my shirt, that was fun.

At an Appleseed last summer, I was shooting next to a .308. Not only was his muzzle device loud as heck, but his casings were landing all over me. Didn't really bother me until one casing managed to fall into the cuff of my shooting jacket and up my arm.
While prone at a High Power match some years back, I managed to catch a .223 brass under my shooting coat and t-shirt. Ouch.

While instructing at a shoot for Mrs. M1911's company, I caught a .22lr case in under my t-shirt. Made a nice scar on my chest. Ouch.

I have seen MDs (example here) arrive in their brand new H2 or Lexus Suv, equiped with the most gaudily engraved 20k+ shotguns, Gucci skeet vests, etc. And they make derogatory comments about the great unwashed guy with the rusty pick up and the beat to hell 1100..
And when the 1100 shooter hits double what they did, it is because the 1100 shooter was "ruining their concentration"..

There's nothing wrong with laughing at people who don't take care of their tools.

There's nothing wrong with laughing at people who don't take care of their tools.

Some people do not have the means to afford the best of everything. Some people do not have the option of buying this years truck or car and buy something that is a few years old and maybe was not pristine when purchased.

Some people do not have the means to afford a skeet gun, a trap gun, a duck gun and a turkey gun. So, they make do and use their one gun for everything. As such, it gets out on sunny summer days to the skeet field and spends lousy rainy days sitting in a duck blind. It gets carried through bushes and the stocks get all banged up maybe from being dropped.

The point is that when somebody with lesser means gets on the trap field goes straight (or shoots well) while the High Paid whatever with his 50k shotgun goes @ 12. I feel good for that guy. And I certainly look poorly on those that make snarky comments about their lack of the finer things..

I also love when the GI from a trailer in Ark. with the GI issue rifle beats out the well appointed rich guy with the 15k space gun at a Camp Perry type event.

Maybe it's just me. So, yes. I do think there is something wrong with making fun of somebody that has not as nice stuff.

Last edited:

I've experienced the same issue: new to club just out to enjoy a round of trap, and some regular with a fancy kit starts chirping about something. I just apologize and offer to change stations or something like that.

When the shoe is on the other foot (meaning someone's clocking me with their shells), I just move back a couple of steps, kick the shell out of the way, and then set up for my shot. No big deal.

I'm taking my 870 out to the trap field tonight just to put some rounds through her under the lights. I could very well have the cheapest shotgun at the club tonight, but that's not how I keep score.

Back
Top Bottom