Shooting mat?

Hey all- now that I have my precision rig set up, I'm looking for recommendations for good shooting mats. Specifically, two questions:

1) Though I love black and try to get most of my gear in it, am I wrong to assume that a black mat will be murder in the summer sun, and should shoot for a light color like tan?

2) Are any considered the de facto standard/best of the best? Sort of like harris for bipods, turner for slings, etc.?

Many thanks!
-ZA

Definitely look at Blackhawk's shooting mat. I can shoot a 1600 point smallbore prone match on a concrete firing line without having to wear elbow pads under my shooting coat.

I'm bringing my Ridge Rest to the Appleseed. Closed cell foam is waterproof and since this is designed to sleep on, it's comfy. I've had mine for many years now and it's still in good shape. You do need to be able to set it in the sun to get it to lay flat, but its cheap. (^_^)

Ridge Rest at REI

708520Prd.jpg

I think Dillon dropped it from their line. I don't see it on their website any longer.

But you can't go wrong with Creedmore. I can tell you a few up here tried the cheaper ones and were very unhappy. They were too thin and provided no cushioning at all.

Creedmoor, Shooterschoice, or try Championschoice be sure to get the ones with the waterproof back. Light color will not bake you like a tray of brownies in the hot summer sun

OK, the Ridge Rest did OK comfort wise, but what I noticed during the day Sunday (well, actually Shane noticed) that every so often my rear elbow would slide ever so slightly under recoil. Naturally, that would throw off my NPOA. If I had covered it with something 'grippy' it would have been great.

Back
Top Bottom