shooting in the woods

SnakeEye

Banned
i live in Gloucester, and along the last 10 miles if 128 on your way up here is nothing but woods. there are trucks pulled all along the side where hunters do their thing.
my question is, what can i legally fire in the woods for just plain fun and marksmanship, if im not hunting? what are the laws applying?
i still doint have a local range membership and driving to NH just to blow off a couple hundred rounds is a bit of a hike. especially considering that im surrounded by woods!
i guess th question im really asking is where can i legally shoot off the beaten path that isnt going to cost me money :p

You could legally. But I am sure you will catch shit from the gestapo since this is MASS.

Remember, there is a simple phrase about Mass gun laws that applys to anything:

"If its cool, easy, quick, reasonable or consitutional its illegal in MA,"

(I made that up)

I strongly suggest that you join a club instead.

If you have an LTC, realize that you have it at the whim of your police chief. If you are shooting in the woods and someone takes a dim view of that (for right or wrong), then your chief just might decide that you are no longer a suitable person.

You would not be running such a risk at a gun club.

oh i do have a range membership, and i plan on going to the cape ann sportsman club right up the road once i getmy Uncle Sam check..
its just that im SURROUNDED by woods :)
seems reasonable...but like was said, its an unreasonable state

It's only reasonable if it's YOUR land. Being surrounded by other people's property is poor reasoning for shooting on it.

"it is my land! and every other citizen of Mass"

A communist gun owner. Ooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay............ [roll]

Dirigo said:
regardless of whether it's legal or not, if there is no backstop, it's just irresponsible
but in defense of this statement, i must say that line smacks of gun control rhetoric.
To assert that a firearm can only be safely fired in the presence of a state/federal/range approved backstop within the confines of a regulated establishment seems like,well like a democrat proposal..
The firearm evolved in the outdoors, as a tool as well as a means of entertainment and sport. Simply because their are facilities that emulate this indoors is no reason to assume that to continue in the firearms oldest of traditions and native of enviroments is irresponsible is wrong.
its not possible becuase this is Mass, not becuase its irresponsible.
to play on words with forrest gump,irresponsible is what irresponsible does..

"its [sic] not possible becuase [sic] this is Mass, not becuase [sic] its [sic] irresponsible."

Really? And just how DO you propose those bullets cease their forward progress without becoming a risk to others?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yeah I agree with Dirigo here.

We're not talking about "Store your guns in a locked room and store your ammo at a MA Compliant gun range" BS

We're talking about Jeff Cooper's Rule #4 "Always Be sure of your target, and Backstop"

A backstop doesn't have to be anything fancy like the massive bunkers they have at MRA that could probably survive an ICBM.....but if you're in an open feild, or woods, and there is no definite backstop, you're flirting with disaster.

Probably 99% of your rounds will find a tree or somthing to stop them. Or others will fly thier full flight arc without hitting anything "You don't wish to destroy"

But frankly with guns, they can make mistakes that you can't take back and will haunt you for the rest of your life.

I'd be like having sex with a woman with AIDS without protection. Statistically you're more than likely gonna come out OK, but if luck isn't in your favor....

ALWAYS be sure of your target and backstop!

-Weer'd Beard

i spent last saturday up on my employers land here in town shooting, and i fail to differenciate the responsibility implied by shooting there as opposed to shooting 15 miles deep in the woods of knowhere.
finding a backstop in all honesty should just be implied, considering the training and knowledge inherent in 'most' licenced owners, i am suprised that anyone would not extend me that basic allowance. As Weerd pointed out it is rule #4! To allude that i may just go into the woods and begin firing without forethought into open wood and field is simply preposterous. and if i were such a person i would certainly hope that i would not be licenced, or worse carrying.

icon_sniper.gif

its not just people and property you dont want to hit, but animals. alas, since youre a Republican, disregard any safety precaution, because we all know, safety and responsibility is for Democrats.

Dirigo said:
its not just people and property you dont want to hit, but animals. alas, since youre a Republican, disregard any safety precaution, because we all know, safety and responsibility is for Democrats.

Mod Hat On!

No personal sniping allowed on the forums. Let's not degrade the discussion to name calling. Thank you.

SnakeEye said:
i spent last saturday up on my employers land here in town shooting, and i fail to differenciate the responsibility implied by shooting there as opposed to shooting 15 miles deep in the woods of knowhere.
finding a backstop in all honesty should just be implied, considering the training and knowledge inherent in 'most' licenced owners, i am suprised that anyone would not extend me that basic allowance. As Weerd pointed out it is rule #4! To allude that i may just go into the woods and begin firing without forethought into open wood and field is simply preposterous. and if i were such a person i would certainly hope that i would not be licenced, or worse carrying.

icon_sniper.gif

Yarrr seems we're on the same page. Just so long as you take responcibility for evey round you fire every time you fire untill it comes to a complete stop, it's all good.

I mean if you stack some TV n stuff against a big oak-tree and shoot from a range you know you can't miss (and not massive rounds that won't be stopped by the tree)

or as many of My maine friends do....pile their woodpile further back into the woods....it's a little futher a walk to fetch the fire wood....but it makes a nice man-made backstop.

Or hell if yer a hunter, get a tree stand.....even in friggin Iowa any downward angle makes a GREAT backstop.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

"finding a backstop in all honesty should just be implied, considering the training and knowledge inherent in 'most' licenced [sic] owners, i am suprised that anyone would not extend me that basic allowance."

Here's a reason: Common sense isn't.

The newspapers and firearms boards are replete with incidents of "licenced owners" screwing up. Indeed, many negligent discharges involve police officers. You know, those who are "p'ofeshunal enuf to handle the fo'ty Glock..."

Snake...I understand where you're coming from, however, for safety sake, and for your own renewal sake - shoot at a range. [wink] Besides, town law may not allow for the discharge of firearms if it's not hunting season.

I grew up in that area. I think you would be unwise to shoot in those woods unless hunting and I wouldn't hunt in them anyway. On much of it you are likely to be on private land (Gordon College and others). Look on a map, its really not that big an area. Try a WMA or State Forest for hunting (target shooting is forbidden in WMAs and State Forests, only hunting allowed).

1) No backstop.
2) Better be real sure you are not within 500' of another house
3) People aren't expecting to be walking around in there (and they do, especially college students) and hear gunshots. You are likely to attract attention and inquiries from law enforcement who may take a dim view, particularly out of hunting season.
4) Why not join a club?

Back
Top Bottom