Shooting glasses

jar

I currently use a cheap pair of shooting glasses that I bought at Wally world for like 8 bucks. They're getting kind of beat up, and it definitely makes it tougher to see the 400yd row on an AQT target. What are you guys using for eye protection? Are there any shops that have a really good selection I could try on? Replaceable lenses to change colors would be nice. Budget is probably up to about $100.

I've been using the Smith and Wesson "Magnum" glasses for years. When they get scratched, I toss 'em and get a new pair. I keep a clear and dark pair for different lighting. Wally World sometimes has them. Hard to beat at the S&W store for about $7. I've had about 4 pair now and I've never seen any optical problem with the lens, they are UV blockers too. Only other thing that MIGHT be useful at times is something polarized, but for range use that is pretty rare. I find that the temples fit snug, so I don't get any gap on my hearing protection.

I've had really nice shooting glasses in the past and unless you need a prescription, I don't advise going that route these days.

Last edited:
I reccomend Sawfly shooting glasses, there expensive but I have seen them save people eyesight firsthand. There is even a picture floating around on the internet of a soldier in Iraq with a half in piece of shrapnel sticking out of the lense that would have hit his straight in the eye.

UVEX.

They are made for "extreme sports" such as skiing, etc., and feature the wrap-around design enclosing the eyes that shooters - especially steel/action pistol shooters - need.

Interchangeable lenses; mine came with Smoke and Amber, but there are many other choices.

I bought the shooting glasses that were on sale at the NRA Store. They come with the clear lenses, but also come with a carrying case with 4 other colored lenses and a spare clear lense. I've had them about a year and they have stood up great. Virtually no scratches or dull spots on them from use.

For $30, they are a pretty good deal. I think anyway. Here's the link.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=SS 21592

UVEX Genesis safety glasses are comfortable, adjustable, durable, anti-fog, anti-scratch, and exceed the ANSI standard by meeting the Military Vo ballistic test (http://www.google.com/products?q=uvex+genesis+ultradura+clear&btnG=Search&show=dd). The Vo ballistic test requires withstanding a 22 caliber fragment at 550 feet per second without penetration. These are excellent non-prescription glasses that cost about $10 each.

Replacement lenses of various tints and color are available, too. Just Google "UVEX Genesis Replacement Lenses" for them. Oh, and the frames are guaranteed for life. Break the frame; send them back; get a new frame free.

I wear them at the range, playing racquette ball, and at work as the Safety Guy!

Regards,

Bob

Last edited:
i have this set of oakleys that are great for using with a m4/m16 style sights
0a89_1.JPG

i also have a pair of wiley-x's that i would use when i didnt have to worry about using a m16, you cant see the sights correctly when you wear these, but they are ballistic goggles and damn near impossible to break
wy-sg1.jpg

UVEX makes good shooting glasses. They are local out of Rhode Island. Unfortunatelly the pair I bought ended up being too narrow for my fat head. Wiley X makes nice shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses. They run about $40.00.

I've been buying the cheapie glasses too. They work ok but get scuffed up easy no matter how much I try and keep them from getting damaged.
The NRA ones look pretty good to me.

Back
Top Bottom