• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting backstops on Private property

For those that shoot on your own property, what do you use as shooting backstops?

I have plenty of land and all my neighbors shoot. Everyone shoots out into the expansive woods behind our properties, one has a backstop, the other doesn't (not keen about no backstop). The one with a backstop just uses a bunch of logs etc...

For high powered airguns and .22, I use "Plastic Storage Containers" (aka 'totes') filled with rubber mulch, on a hillside, with about 5000 pine trees beyond that.

Say to yourself: "Were I behind this backstop, would I be nervous if someone was going to send a few rounds of .30-'06 AP ammo in my direction?" It's not the rounds that hit the backstop that are an issue, but the ones that don't.....
Every backstop has it's limits. I can't afford .30-'06 AP to practice, much less the 1" AR-500 plates I'd want for a backstop if I were practicing with .30-'06 AP.

The NSSF and NRA have guides for proper range construction, but few informal shooting sites have that kind of budget.

I shoot a big old pine tree out back, until I decide what I am going to do for a real backstop.

For high powered airguns and .22, I use "Plastic Storage Containers" (aka 'totes') filled with rubber mulch, on a hillside, with about 5000 pine trees beyond that.

Every backstop has it's limits. I can't afford .30-'06 AP to practice, much less the 1" AR-500 plates I'd want for a backstop if I were practicing with .30-'06 AP.

The NSSF and NRA have guides for proper range construction, but few informal shooting sites have that kind of budget.

Only probably a third of an acre of my land is cleared, the rest is heavily wooded, there is a small wet area with a seasonal stream about 40 yards into the woods along with a good sized brook that cross the back, maybe 350 yards from the road.

I am not sure if a bobcat would make it all the way down back to where I would consider making my own range. Behind my property there is maybe close to 1000 acres or so of woods before a NH State Forest.

I'll look into what the NRA says about the backstops... I may be able to use the river bed wall combined with a wall of some sort of material.

Only probably a third of an acre of my land is cleared, the rest is heavily wooded, there is a small wet area with a seasonal stream about 40 yards into the woods along with a good sized brook that cross the back, maybe 350 yards from the road. I am not sure if a bobcat would make it all the way down back to where I would consider making my own range.
With a bobcat, making it down is usually the easy part, it's getting back up that can be tricky.

I'll look into what the NRA says about the backstops... I may be able to use the river bed wall combined with a wall of some sort of material.
Riverbanks were a pretty common choice of backstop in the past, probably politically incorrect now.

I shoot a big old pine tree out back, until I decide what I am going to do for a real backstop.
image.png

Back
Top Bottom