Shooter feels he may have shot Pat Tillman

Army did not handle that situation well and only hurt his family more.

Sadly, that's nothing new.

My former platoon sergeant was the MSG who led the aid and litter party up the hill to bring in the bodies. He was very upset about the whole situation, especially that (as he put it) body retrieval didn't seem to be much of a priority until he rounded up a detail and moved out. There was a weird sense of indecision in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, from almost everybody in the convoy.

He said everybody on the convoy knew immediately what had happened, and who fired the shots. The impression I got was that there was no doubt about who the shooter was from the moment it happened.

Sadly, that's nothing new.

My former platoon sergeant was the MSG who led the aid and litter party up the hill to bring in the bodies. He was very upset about the whole situation, especially that (as he put it) body retrieval didn't seem to be much of a priority until he rounded up a detail and moved out. There was a weird sense of indecision in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, from almost everybody in the convoy.

He said everybody on the convoy knew immediately what had happened, and who fired the shots. The impression I got was that there was no doubt about who the shooter was from the moment it happened.
We had a 'similar' situation out in AZ.

Agent shot during a big dope take down. Female agent was the suspected shooter. The agency bent over backwards trying to say it was a cartel shooter that took down our guy. The whole thing just got dropped. I think living with this type of thing is hard enough. No need to rip open the stitches and pour salt on it.

We had a 'similar' situation out in AZ.

Agent shot during a big dope take down. Female agent was the suspected shooter. The agency bent over backwards trying to say it was a cartel shooter that took down our guy. The whole thing just got dropped. I think living with this type of thing is hard enough. No need to rip open the stitches and pour salt on it.

In one way, yes. I can see the Army's/BP's perspective.

But if I was a relative? I would not be interested in a coverup, no matter what agency we'd be talking about. I wouldn't shut up about it. Government agencies don't get to cover up the fatal mistakes they made, absent a VERY good reason. Like, a reason that's compelling to the taxpayers, not the institutions nor the families.

The Tillman shooter has been living with the guilt for almost 20 years now. And everyone who wants to find out knows just who he is. He probably adds his own salt to the wound every day. Honesty is the better policy.

In one way, yes. I can see the Army's/BP's perspective.

But if I was a relative? I would not be interested in a coverup, no matter what agency we'd be talking about. I wouldn't shut up about it. Government agencies don't get to cover up the fatal mistakes they made, absent a VERY good reason. Like, a reason that's compelling to the taxpayers, not the institutions nor the families.

The Tillman shooter has been living with the guilt for almost 20 years now. And everyone who wants to find out knows just who he is. He probably adds his own salt to the wound every day. Honesty is the better policy.
No real argument from me, I know living with it would be hard enough for me, I don't even want to think about it.

Tillman...

Yale...

Haerter...

Dunham...

Today is the anniversary of all their deaths.

(There is a small chance that Haerter was standing in the formation at my retirement ceremony.)

And lest we forget the lesser known names and the undocumented heroism of the fallen.

Semper Fidelis!

Back
Top Bottom