• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping Ammo in Mass as opposed to "to Mass"

I regularly see references to the fact that there is "no law prohibiting the sales / shipping of ammo to Massachusetts". Now I've had several conversations with mail order distributors and too many continue to refuse to sell / ship ammo to Mass. They'll sell / ship C&R rifles and handguns directly to my home...but no ammo.

Anyways, I was reading a blurb on the ammunition page of the Four Season's website and it said that shipping ammo in Massachusetts is illegal. I assume this references a Mass licensed ammo retailer selling and then shipping ammunition to a Mass resident. And this is due to the requirement of a permit or FID card to legally purchase ammunition.

I'm always looking out for something to toss up to out of state distributors in an effort to convince them to sell / ship to Mass. Everyone seems to recall the $5,000 fines issued by the AG years ago when their office blanket ordered ammo from every source they could find and waited to see who shipped then just stuck their name on the violation and fined them for selling without a Mass License to sell Ammunition.

1. There are some threads that fully explain the situation.

2. AG can't "fine" anyone.

As long as the dealer is properly licensed and sales tax is charged I don't think there's an issue but IANAL.

OK - here is my take which is opposite what I've heard so far so I've got my nomex on . .

Since the dealer in the hypothetical is located in MA, then all the MA ammo retailing rules apply to them and if the purchaser is in MA, even more than an out of state dealer.

1. There are some threads that fully explain the situation.

2. AG can't "fine" anyone.
True. The AG can give the victim a choice of paying a settlement that is indistinguishable from a fine or funding a defense in a MA courtroom. I doubt the fact that it was not legally a "fine" is of much solace to those out of state dealers victimized by the MA redefinition of FOB.

What about buying ammo out of state and driving into MA or buying ammo out of state and mailing it back to yourself via UPS? Are these legal?

You know I've never tried to buy ammo in Maine or NH. I assumed that they were similar to MA (I know no state is similar to MA when it comes to ...just about anything but especially gun laws) and that they would not sell to me as a non-resident. So if Dick's is having a sale, I can go to NH and buy ammo to avoid the outlay of 5% MA sales tax (I say outlay as I know I would have to pay it to the state at a later date especially for tax time).

Then all I would need is to provide them with my MA LTC to prove I am legal in my own state to purchase handgun ammo?

The majority of states do not require anything other than proof of age for you to buy ammunition or firearms. NH stores often will ask to see an LTC for a Mass resident, but that's it.

I'm so used to showing my NH Permit when buying ammo in NH that when I bought ammo in RI yesterday (Foster Bear Arms Trading Post - see my comments in Gun Shop Reviews forum), he asked for ID and I showed him my LTC. He looked puzzled and said he was really looking to see my DL. I almost laughed.

Pop Quiz: Can I file for a tax rebate since MA tax is lower than what I paid in RI?

Just showing the absurdity . . . I know that the MA Sales/Use Tax law says NO! They just want to make sure that you pay AT LEAST AS MUCH as if you bought it in MA. Kinda like "if you buy something at a discount, pay MA Gov't the difference as 'subjects' can't benefit from any 'deals'"!

Last edited:
Kinda like "if you buy something at a discount, pay MA Gov't the difference as 'subjects' can't benefit from any 'deals'"!
Like when you buy a used vehicle, the RMV will not go by the actual price of the sale but by their book so as to be sure that the state gets their full share of sales tax.

The majority of states do not require anything other than proof of age for you to buy ammunition or firearms. NH stores often will ask to see an LTC for a Mass resident, but that's it.

Most "normal" NH stores (excluding walmart) don't even bother. As long as
you look over 21, that's typically enough. I've been to 3 or 4 different gun
shops in NH and have -never- been "carded" when buying ammo.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom