• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield MA release date

Last edited:

Nope I got a brandy new one.

I been over on the Ruger Forums (.com & .net) and theres a thread going on over there about Ruger pulling the LC9 from MASS.

They have been getting sh%* from MASS so they are no longer selling LC9's till they revamp them to be OKed in MASS.

The ones that are out there now for sale will be the last ones for quite some time............

Four Seasons is the only shop that had a LC9 W/CT for sale that I could find, most shops had a LC9 or a LC9 W/LM.

The LC9's with the Crimson Trace are very scarce...............

During a Q&A at the factory I asked a shirt and tie wearing VP of marketing when the Shield was going to be released in Mass. his answer was "I don't know, It still has to undergo testing"
Now maybe he is in the know, Maybe the fact he was wearing a shirt and tie (when others in the room were wearing S&W polos) could mean that he was so high up in the company he was clueless.

During a Q&A at the factory I asked a shirt and tie wearing VP of marketing when the Shield was going to be released in Mass. his answer was "I don't know, It still has to undergo testing"
Now maybe he is in the know, Maybe the fact he was wearing a shirt and tie (when others in the room were wearing S&W polos) could mean that he was so high up in the company he was clueless.
Good to know! Thanks for an update. waiting... waiting... waiting patiently... [hmmm]

For still being a relative newcomer to the forum...Lou who?
Pretty much how I feel. Yeah, a trip to Lou for the trigger and we'll be good to go after. I don't think you can go wrong here for the price point and the quality. Smith hit a home run with their striker fired polymer framed pistols. Bummer though, summer will most likly be over by the time they ship in Massachusetts, wanted to give it a workout under light summer clothing.

Lou showed me a trigger job on a Shield the other day, and it was incredible. It was a cleaned up "carry" trigger from stock. Anyone getting the normal version of the gun should still go see him, and when the crappy MA version comes out, I am pretty confident that Lou will be able to un**** the gun for you for not much money.

-Mike

Lou showed me a trigger job on a Shield the other day, and it was incredible. It was a cleaned up "carry" trigger from stock. Anyone getting the normal version of the gun should still go see him, and when the crappy MA version comes out, I am pretty confident that Lou will be able to un**** the gun for you for not much money.

-Mike
Excellent! Will do. Thanks for the info

-Mike

+1 for Lou he does great work!

+1 for Lou he does great work!

He has the gift for sure. Never really thought the reset mattered much until he did his carry job on my 40c. Smooth, crisp, and a quick reset....nice. My Shield is heading to him as soon as I get it.

Just to show how uncertain the release of this Ma, date is I was shopping around went to 3 LGS and was told 3 different answers, by the end of summer, this fall and early 2013.

I think the best option may be that if your LGS is making a list, sign up, who knows when they will come.

A question I did have, mostly from inexperience with a newly relaesed design/gun is. Do you want to buy during the first wave of guns released in Ma., or is it better to wait and let the kinks get worked out and buy later???

I know the striker fired M&P platform has been out for years and the Shield has been available in other states. But I don't have the experience to know if the changes to satisfy Ma. regs would make waiting to see how things go woth while??

What do you guys think??

Just to show how uncertain the release of this Ma, date is I was shopping around went to 3 LGS and was told 3 different answers, by the end of summer, this fall and early 2013.

I think the best option may be that if your LGS is making a list, sign up, who knows when they will come.

A question I did have, mostly from inexperience with a newly relaesed design/gun is. Do you want to buy during the first wave of guns released in Ma., or is it better to wait and let the kinks get worked out and buy later???

I know the striker fired M&P platform has been out for years and the Shield has been available in other states. But I don't have the experience to know if the changes to satisfy Ma. regs would make waiting to see how things go woth while??

What do you guys think??

The Ma**h*** M&P Model works best with a trigger job or an Apex kit installation. Things should work the same way for the Ma**h*** Shield model, unless you like heavy trigger pulls (which some people do) Based on the input that I have seen in this forum, the most satisfied Ma**h*** M&P owners are those who got the trigger job or installed the kit, or were able in some way to procure a "Free State Model." I have an M&P .45 with a Greg Derr trigger job that I am extremely pleased with.

I think the M&P platform has been proven, I have no problem buying on the first wave if I can.

I think the M&P platform has been proven, I have no problem buying on the first wave if I can.

Several things concern me about the Shield, supposedly S&W is using a new trigger mod that they are going to incorporate on other models, I'd like to see how this does in the field. Any current production non-Shield M&P no worries, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

There is another thing about S&W: I've been owning, collecting and shooting S&W's since 1969. I'm even a stockholder in the company, but every time S&W starts going into high production mode, their quality control begins to slip a bit. This has been a consistent corporate trait, and right now I understand that S&W can't keep up with the demand.

The one advantage of having to live under our asinine gun laws, is that frequently by the time we can buy an "approved" gun in Mass, any early production bugs have already been ironed out.

Chances are, aside from a crappy trigger, the Shield you get in Mass will reflect any engineering improvements if those are warranted.

Still making the bedsprings to make the trigger Mass OK.

Too funny, but seriously, I had heard an upgrade was forthcoming. They are now hand grinding light truck leaf springs and tossing out those bed springs. End result, a sweet "Massachusetts Pull" trigger. Imagine a glassy smooth 16.5 lb pull without the gritty feel we're accustomed to. Time to rejoice my friends. Lol

0.jpg

I went to Four Seasons to see the S&W M&P Shield. I was very impressed. The store employee told me that MA would be keeping the 6.5# trigger. I was so impressed with the gun that I pre-ordered one. Really nice gun! I also pre-ordered a DeSantis holster from Optics Planet.

I went to Four Seasons to see the S&W M&P Shield. I was very impressed. The store employee told me that MA would be keeping the 6.5# trigger. I was so impressed with the gun that I pre-ordered one. Really nice gun! I also pre-ordered a DeSantis holster from Optics Planet.

Not sure if that is true or not.

If it was true they could have been selling then already in MASS.

Plus myself (and others here) have contacted folks we know at S&W and have been told it will be coming out with the 10 Lb trigger.

This. Well worth the $10 to really get a feel for the trigger. I personally don't think its that bad, esp compared to the others in the M&P line.

The Stock shield trigger, to me, seems just as bad as every other M&P. They all need work, anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't shot one enough or enjoys masochism/self-hate.

-Mike

The Stock shield trigger, to me, seems just as bad as every other M&P. They all need work, anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't shot one enough or enjoys masochism/self-hate.

-Mike

agreed...overall its still bad. Its sucks because other than that it really is a nice little handgun.

-Mike

I went by the feel of the gun, I didn't like the feel of the shield in my hand.

The way the grip is formed with my bear paws it just didn't fit right in my hand.

Plus the fact that it dosn't have a replaceable back grip panal.

I also didn't like the way the Crimson Trace Laser was going to mount on it.

Plus the fact that I was going to have to do a trigger job on it if I bought it.
I use Greg Derr and for me thats a days ride there and back (so two trips), not going to do that with my pain and the gas prices.

I bought a Ruger LC9 instead, I like the way it feels in my hands, I like the trigger pull even though it's a DAO,
I like the way the CT mounts to it.

I'm hoping to get out and shoot it this week.

I went by the feel of the gun, I didn't like the feel of the shield in my hand.

The way the grip is formed with my bear paws it just didn't fit right in my hand.

Plus the fact that it dosn't have a replaceable back grip panal.

I also didn't like the way the Crimson Trace Laser was going to mount on it.

Plus the fact that I was going to have to do a trigger job on it if I bought it.
I use Greg Derr and for me thats a days ride there and back (so two trips), not going to do that with my pain and the gas prices.

I bought a Ruger LC9 instead, I like the way it feels in my hands, I like the trigger pull even though it's a DAO,
I like the way the CT mounts to it.

I'm hoping to get out and shoot it this week.

I've heard mixed reviews about the LC9 though. I love Ruger but the Shield does look like a strong competitor to the LC9. Plus they make it in .40 S&W.

I've heard mixed reviews about the LC9 though. I love Ruger but the Shield does look like a strong competitor to the LC9. Plus they make it in .40 S&W.

I've only held the shield, I want to go to Bob's to fire it now that I know they have one, but I have an LC9 and I really like it. Great Size for carry, I'm pretty accurate with it and I got the Lazermax too. It's nice and narrow, I would love to compare them side by side...perhaps at Bob's

The wait is killing meeeeeeeeee.
Once I decide on buying something, and I have the cash in hand. I WANT IT!!! [smile]

Anybody hear anything recently about a more accurate release date for the MA version?

Back
Top Bottom