• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield MA release date

greencobra

NES Member
I'm hearing August is when they should hit the dealer shelves here in Massachusetts and I got that from a Google search. Anyone have anything different, maybe sooner? I for one am interested because I think it's quality at a small price point so the sooner the better for me.

No one really knows anything I believe as it has to be on the approved list before it can be sold and no one knows when the hell that will be...

I think there is multiple threads here somewhere already on the shield's availability. August would probably be right though. Because I believe the updated list was already released recently.

I think they are usually every 3 months or so that they are updated.

It is quality at a very good price point, but you are going to probably have to spend some aftermarket bucks for a trigger job here in Mass which makes it less of a good deal.

Heh, heh...Put down a deposit on my baby Shield. I already picked up a case of 9mm and 400 rounds of hollow point for my Shield. S&W has 4, 8 round mags on back order for me and I'm waiting for my preferred holster makers to get their mold guns in and then the holsters will be on the way. Lou knows I'm coming in for his trigger job soon. Now the wait.

This is kinda like getting the babies room ready before the birth.

I'm outta dough now.

Last edited:
The ansdwer I got from S&W was July-August, but I had asked only about the .40 cal version getting MA "approved" Here's the short & sweet reply from them.

"We are working on a MA gun we think it should be compliant by late July or August."

Last edited:
yanici:2362764 said:
This is kinda like getting the babies room ready before the birth.
HaHa.....ya, get the nursery ready, why not.

I got a deposit down too on a 9mm. I thought it a bit light for the zippy .40. My 40c barks and bites and thats a heavy pistol.

Knob Creek:2363124 said:
Still making the bedsprings to make the trigger Mass OK.
Too funny, but seriously, I had heard an upgrade was forthcoming. They are now hand grinding light truck leaf springs and tossing out those bed springs. End result, a sweet "Massachusetts Pull" trigger. Imagine a glassy smooth 16.5 lb pull without the gritty feel we're accustomed to. Time to rejoice my friends. Lol

IDC had one as a demo gun. Trigger wasn't bad on it but nothing fantastic. Nothing worth getting rid of my SR9c for. Odds are the trigger will be crap when it gets here adding 100 to the price. Guy at the counter said maybe August. Said there would be a long line. I won't be in it.

I plan on picking one up as the one that I looked at was comfortable in my hand, small (but not to small) and has a decent price point. I have a deposit down on one. I have been looking for something a bit more suited to summer time carry over my 1911.

Many of the small carry setups are either not comfortable in my hands, is chambered in .380 or smaller or just way to small. I don't like my fathers Seacamp because it feels like I am barely holding onto to when I fire it and has a horrible trigger. He likes it for carry though.

I plan on picking one up as the one that I looked at was comfortable in my hand, small (but not to small) and has a decent price point. I have a deposit down on one. I have been looking for something a bit more suited to summer time carry over my 1911.
Pretty much how I feel. Yeah, a trip to Lou for the trigger and we'll be good to go after. I don't think you can go wrong here for the price point and the quality. Smith hit a home run with their striker fired polymer framed pistols. Bummer though, summer will most likly be over by the time they ship in Massachusetts, wanted to give it a workout under light summer clothing.

Well, I thought I'd pester our friends at the CS dept. of S&W. Sent an email a couple of days ago and got a reply today with when the Shield will be MA compliant. Their answer was around the 1st of July. Not too, too long. I can live with that.

Well, I thought I'd pester our friends at the CS dept. of S&W. Sent an email a couple of days ago and got a reply today with when the Shield will be MA compliant. Their answer was around the 1st of July. Not too, too long. I can live with that.
Better then other guesstimates that have been thrown out there...

Yay, I hope that's accurate. However, I'm still bummed out the Mass trigger...all of the Youtube reviewers keep saying that the regular trigger is amazing.

I'm pretty sure the demo at idc didn't have the mass trigger and it was far from what I'd call amazing. It was gritty and about 7 pounds. The trigger on my sr9c is way better.

Yeah, definitely not amazing. The shield has a typical M&P free state trigger. Still "meh", just not quite as terrible as the MA stock trigger is.

All M&Ps need trigger work regardless of what came in the gun, IMHO.

-Mike

All the Shields that are at gun shops now are the non-mass guns. They have the 6.25/6.50 Lb trigger (depends on who you talk to as far as poundage).

That will not be the Mass gun.

I contacted S&W and was told the 9mm will be out around June/July and it will have the Mass 10Lb trigger.

I got to handle the non-mass shield today. In 3 different gun shops. I'm not crazy about it. I didn't like the feel of it in my bear paws.

I also handled the ruger LC9 today, I very much liked the curve in the grip, it fit my bear paws better. Plus I liked the trigger on the LC9 compaired to the Shield trigger.

I only got to handle a non lasered gun and a laser max gun, I do not like the laser max laser, I will be buying the Crimson Trace laser.

I will be going to Four Seasons on Friday to buy a Ruger LC9.

I also contacted Ruger as I really wanted a Ruger LC40. I was told by Ruger that they are not planning on making a LC40 so it's going to be a 9mm instead.

Remember if you buy a Shield you are going to have to drop another $50 to $150 into a trigger job to fix the mass trigger and fix the "will not fire without a magazine" problem.

Last edited:
I am sure just like the M&P the parts will become availible to convert the crappy Ma trigger back to the standard trigger and no mag disconect. IF you shop around these parts for an M&P can be found for about $50 and take about 5 minutes max to install in an M&P.

I'm guessing because Marsha said they must.

Not so much. If I understand the regs (and since they're so clear & logical I'm sure I do [rolleyes]), the manual safety pretty removes the 10# trigger requirement. That's why you get guns like the Ruger SR series that have (subjectively) great triggers out of the box. What gives Smith?

Back
Top Bottom