Sheriff's department in MA: conversation starter

It's made news around the country when sheriff departments have stated that they won't follow new laws they deem to be unconstitutional. Has anyone in MA had a conversation with their sheriff's department to see if they'll take the same stance?

It is really a moot point in MA as Sheriff's Departments here long ago gave up most of their law enforcement functions in favor of running the jails and houses of correction. Far more lucrative from a political patronage perspective. Although, they are de jure LEOs, they are de facto corrections and really more officers of the civil courts duplicating many of the duties of constables.

The State Police will be more than happy to fill in the "enforcement" gap. This is no help.

Seriously , it's the state police that need to say it around here, and we all know what the chances of that happening are.

although everyone in any Sheriffs Dept in MA will tall you that they have more "powers" than local law enforcement, in reality they are relegated to housing and transporting prisoners.

Sheriffs in MA and even NH are nothing like the ones in the rest of the country.

They might not have the power that other state's sheriffs have, but its refreshing that someone in MA that is in relation to the state gov is taking that stance. Maybe all hope is not lost.

The Colonel of the State Police works directly for Patrick. You will never hear a word of disagreement from him. It's the everyday Troopers that you need to not believe in this crap, and many do not.

Sheriffs in MA and even NH are nothing like the ones in the rest of the country.

This^

In most other states, the county sheriffs dept is the chief law enforcement agency for their jurisdiction, handling the 911 calls and just about all other LE functions.
Not so here.
When was the last time you even heard of a county sheriff in Mass making an arrest, or even a traffic stop ???

Although I agree that it won't be as impactful as it might be in the rest of the country we all have to remember, you can bet the antis are fighting us on all fronts. To have a few sheriffs speak out could only help the cause. Or we can just sit back and hope an occasional demonstration (although successful) and complaining on the Internet will be enough. I suggest the more comprehensive approach. Anything and everything should be on the table.

Although I agree that it won't be as impactful as it might be in the rest of the country we all have to remember, you can bet the antis are fighting us on all fronts. To have a few sheriffs speak out could only help the cause. Or we can just sit back and hope an occasional demonstration (although successful) and complaining on the Internet will be enough. I suggest the more comprehensive approach. Anything and everything should be on the table.

i agree. i hope that the anti's that think everyone is with them in their thinking see that the very people that protect and serve in this state, that they also maybe respect due to their position, are on the other side of this fight and rethink their logic on the topic

This^

In most other states, the county sheriffs dept is the chief law enforcement agency for their jurisdiction, handling the 911 calls and just about all other LE functions.
Not so here.
When was the last time you even heard of a county sheriff in Mass making an arrest, or even a traffic stop ???

Ha, that's true, I don't know how many Sheriffs cars and vans I have blown by on the highway.

We are in MA where Democratic majority are libritards.
so I don't think anyone will stand with UA unless we push hard

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I Agree with JWpaolilliJr and I will back his comment up with MGL

MA Sheriffs may indeed have been tasked with primarily corrections and civil process however, Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs in MA have the same privileges as any Police Officer. The County Sheriff in MA has just as much power as any of these Sheriffs that have gone on air to protect the 2A. In MGL Sheriffs are the top LEO in thier prospective counties.

Massachusetts Constitution:

Article IX. All judicial officers, [the attorney-general,] the solicitor-general, [all sheriffs,] coroners, [and registers of probate,] shall be nominated and appointed by the governor, by and with the advice and consent of the council; and every such nomination shall be made by the governor, and made at least seven days prior to such appointment. [See Amendments, Arts. XVII, [See Amendments, Art. XLVIII, The Initiative, II, sec. 2.], The Referendum, III, sec. 2, and LXIV.] [For provision as to election of sheriffs, registers of probate, etc., see Amendments, Art. XIX.] [For provision as to the appointment of notaries public, see Amendments, Arts. IV, LVII and LXIX, sec. 2.]

Chapter 37:

Section 1. A sheriff shall be elected in each county, as provided in section one hundred and fifty-nine of chapter fifty-four, for six years, beginning with the first Wednesday of January following his election, and until his successor is qualified.

Section 4. He shall appoint a special sheriff, who shall be sworn and shall give such bond to the sheriff as he may require for the faithful discharge of his duties. A special sheriff shall have the authority of a deputy sheriff. Upon his qualification, the sheriff shall send a written notice thereof, giving the name and residence of the appointee, to the state secretary, who shall record such notice in a book kept for the purpose.

Section 3. A sheriff may appoint deputies, who shall be sworn before performing any official act.

Section 11. Sheriffs and their deputies shall serve and execute, within their counties, all precepts lawfully issued to them and all other process required by law to be served by an officer. They may serve process in cases wherein a county, city, town, parish, religious society or fire or other district is a party or interested, although they are inhabitants or members thereof.

Section 13. They may require suitable aid in the execution of their office in a criminal case, in the preservation of the peace, in the apprehending or securing of a person for a breach of the peace and in cases of escape or rescue of persons arrested upon civil process.

Chapter 220:

Section 7. Sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, constables and other officers shall serve all lawful processes issued by a court, judge, judicial officer or county commissioners legally directed to them.

Chapter 262
Section 8. The fees of sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and constables shall be as follows:

(b) for the service of criminal process:

Heres an interesting law under MGL Chapter 33 "Militia's":

Section 41. In case of a tumult, riot, mob or body of persons acting together by force to violate or resist the laws of the commonwealth, or when such tumult, riot or mob is threatened, or in case of public catastrophe or natural disaster, and the usual police provisions are inadequate to preserve order and afford protection to persons and property, and the fact appears to the commander-in-chief, to the sheriff of a county, to the mayor or city manager of a city or to the selectmen of a town, the commander-in-chief, upon his initiative or at the request of such sheriff, mayor or city manager or selectmen, may issue his order directed to the commander of any organization or unit of the armed forces of the commonwealth directing him to order his command, or any part thereof, to appear at a time and place therein specified to aid the civil authority in suppressing such violations, preserving order, affording such protection and supporting the laws.

I could go on and on about MGL and Sheriffs.....

So I don't want to hear the same old bull about Sheriffs and Deputies in MA only being C.O's or Jailers ect, these are complete lies. The Sheriff's in MA are constitutionally elected. If you still don't believe me check out cases such as COMMONWEALTH v. Ralph BAEZ. COMMONWEALTH v. BAEZ, No. 95-P-527., May 05, 1997 - MA Court of Appeals | FindLaw which further designates Deputies and Sheriffs as LEO.

Last edited:
I don't know why....I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling that the staties are in our corner....not sure why though.

plot_t640.jpg

i agree. i hope that the anti's that think everyone is with them in their thinking see that the very people that protect and serve in this state, that they also maybe respect due to their position, are on the other side of this fight and rethink their logic on the topic

Keep in mind that these are elected officials. It's one thing for an upstate NY sheriff to say he has neither the manpower nor inclination to enforce an unconstitutional law where his constituents agree with him, and a whole 'nother animal for a sheriff to risk his re-election saying he won't enforce a law that a lot of voters might agree with. Especially since doing so now would be unnecessary and counter-productive.

ETA: what is Ricko's position(professional affiliation)? I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Both those troopers in that picture are performing thier job in an unlawful manner. The law requires that they "Conspicously Display, a Metalic Badge of Office, with a number, on thier outer garment". The embrioded badge does not meet that standard.

I'd love for someone to tell them that. I'd then also hope that they don't get mowed down by their suppressed subguns.

Keep in mind that these are elected officials. It's one thing for an upstate NY sheriff to say he has neither the manpower nor inclination to enforce an unconstitutional law where his constituents agree with him, and a whole 'nother animal for a sheriff to risk his re-election saying he won't enforce a law that a lot of voters might agree with. Especially since doing so now would be unnecessary and counter-productive.

ETA: what is Ricko's position? I couldn't find it.

This, they wont say anything because all they care about is reelection, sherriffs in ma are politicians through and through.

MA is a different animal than the rest of the country (as it is with everything else too). Any other state, the State Police don't leave the highways and are low on the totem pole. Here, they are the most powerful police organization in the state whereas the Sheriffs are the lowest.

In this state you are going to need the support of the police unions as well as the chiefs.

- - - Updated - - -

This, they wont say anything because all they care about is reelection, sherriffs in ma are politicians through and through.

Sheriffs are elected across the country. Nothing different about that aspect

Back
Top Bottom