Shame on me..Shame on Them

For those that want to know for sure... just contact Glock and ask them. Seriously.

Jesus. Massachusetts is f**king retarded. I understand WHY you have to play CSI here to determine when your magazines were manufactured, but Jesus, seriously, reading this thread makes my head hurt. Intelligent people reduced to blithering idiots attempting to follow some obscene, obscure, ridiculous law.

Yup, pretty much, lol. Hey, that gives me an idea. How accurate can you get with carbon dating?

In August a representative from Glock stated this in a room full of cops in Belchertown Ma. I know at least the three officers I was with are using this as a criteria. Maybe the training division and the manufacturing division are not on the same page.

The caliber stamping was moved to make room for the le stampings..

True, but it takes months to get a mfg "mold" made up (I used to be involved in product development where this was an issue), so Glock had the marking moved in PREPARATION of the law change, continued to make pre-ban mags with high-markings until the drop-dead-date (9/13/1994) and THEN added the MIL/LE only admonition to the mags. [Never asked, but I'll bet that they had a second mold made with just the admonition marking and stamped them after mfg, at least for a while until new complete molds were mfd.]

From what I've read, Glock's official position is that there is no way to tell.

Absolutely CORRECT!

I would think if a case ever goes to trial the manufactuer would be asked which of their products were manufatured prior to the federal ban. Acording to Glock the answer is, the ones with the caliber stamp in the original position.

Absolutely WRONG!! I have talked directly with the Chief Legal Counsel at Glock-USA wrt this matter and he's told me about MA DA queries and what Glock's Legal Dept has told them (basically pound sand).

If you dig back here in the archives you'll also see part of the "why". Glock-Austria made MANY changes to the mag designs over the years, did not "date" them and refused to document them to the Glock-USA factory, so they really don't know WHEN a particular change was made and thus can't testify under oath as to when a particular mag would have been made.

I don't have my original source for this at hand, but according to Glock's legal department, neither the shape or the notch nor the positioning of the caliber stamp provide reliable proof of whether the magazine is pre-ban or not. I know that Talmudic discussions on "how to tell pre from post" will probably never cease, this is Glock's official position on the topic.

Ken

Yup, many will doubt this and continue the myths of how to tell, but it won't change Glock's official position.

In August a representative from Glock stated this in a room full of cops in Belchertown Ma. I know at least the three officers I was with are using this as a criteria. Maybe the training division and the manufacturing division are not on the same page.

More like the training and sales divisions aren't on the same page as the LEGAL DEPT! They are the ones to answer any questions for MA DAs and AG . . . not the sales or training people.

Not only did I confirm the above with the Glock-USA Chief Legal Counsel, but also with their Lead Technician (Fred). If you doubt me, call Fred yourself (you'll never get thru to the Chief Legal Counsel). And Glock does not publish their employee Email addresses.

More like the training and sales divisions aren't on the same page as the LEGAL DEPT! They are the ones to answer any questions for MA DAs and AG . . . not the sales or training people.

Not only did I confirm the above with the Glock-USA Chief Legal Counsel, but also with their Lead Technician (Fred). If you doubt me, call Fred yourself (you'll never get thru to the Chief Legal Counsel). And Glock does not publish their employee Email addresses.

I don't remember the guy's name that gave out the information. He was a retired officer and a helicopter pilot. I going to dinner with two of the guys from the class tonight. I know one of them will remember his name.

No way, those knitting needles are dangerous....you could impale someone with one.

Don't worry, Martha is working on new Consumer Safety Regs to protect us all from them. No points allowed and they can't stick in anything when they do the drop test from 3' into soft mud! [puke2]

find some 15 round ones for the Glock 22 pre ban and use them, they may not look pretty, but seriously (and I am going to be doing this for my G26) carry a factory 10 round in the gun, and a high cap pre ban for it's big sister in your pocket or mag holders.

I'm looking for a Glock 17 or Glock 19 (anyone in NH want to trade for a 2nd Gen G22 or a Sig P225 and cash!) and when I find one I'll get the 33 round factory high caps and use them in the that and the 26!

find some 15 round ones for the Glock 22 pre ban and use them, they may not look pretty, but seriously (and I am going to be doing this for my G26) carry a factory 10 round in the gun, and a high cap pre ban for it's big sister in your pocket or mag holders.

+1 to that. i have a high-cap 23 mag i carry in my 23, but im going to search for a could of 22 high caps as spares.

IANAL....

I certainly wouldn't want to be the test case but I don't think that without a readily identifiable marking DA could make the charges stick if they charged you for this. (Don't get me wrong, I would advise you to get rid of them if you think they are post-ban).

If it's indistinguishable from a pre-ban on careful inspection I don't think there is a case because there is no intent to violate the law and no way to avoid violating the law.

I seem to remember about a supreme court ruling on the legality of marijuana tax-stamps way back when and I think they used that standard in determining that the law violated something or other.

Seems to me Instead of bickering it would just be better to tell the guy to take a dremel to it. then it won't match anything and all is good, as long as it still performs.

True, BUT it was Raised BEFORE 9/13/1994. Thus the confusion. Some quantity of pre-ban mags were mfd with the higher caliber marking. See Sweeney's book (my copy was written BEFORE the Fed Ban expired) and locally talk with Matt (mgr) of AFS who owns a Glock with mags (bought during Fed Ban) that also prove this out.

+1.

"High caliber marking" alone is not a very reliable indicator of a given mag being post ban manufacture.

-Mike

Fred,

A couple of DAs attempted to bring charges, but after talking with Glock's Legal Counsel, they dropped the prosecution on that particular charge.

When I researched this the usual deal was that the person being charged didn't have a license, so I got the distinct impression they would just hit the guy with the "LCAFD without a license" charge first because as evidence goes, that's a way easier standard to meet. (eg, if bad guy is caught with large cap mags without an LTC, he's guilty, regardless of when they were made. )

I've been looking but I don't think there has ever been even one MA AWB case in the state yet, and that is the likely cause. (it's so much easier for them to send people to jail for a bunch of other simpler laws they broke).

Doesn't mean that, there couldn't be a "first".

-Mike

I tend to rule the ambi cut mags as post ban. Everything else, I don't think there is a way to figure it out. There are plenty of mags around without the ambi cut.

Back
Top Bottom