Set off store alarms today

I have found RFID tags in the strangest places. Totally buried inside product. They are meant to be disabled at the register but we all know how that goes...

those things aren't set off by metal there set off by the rf tag on the product that is programmed to that specific entrance. you can have one on you from old navy and walk into the gap and not set it off. metal on you has no bearing

walk through one with a long steel cable snake some time, they do get set off by random shit. You are right in that they are not metal detectors though, but some metal objects will set them off.

- - - Updated - - -

I had coil of wire in my pocket that set one off before when the technology
was just ramping up.

Malodave

It still will in some stores.

Last edited:
Just remember they cannot detain you, search you, or look at said merchandise.

They must see you take something off the shelf and follow you by foot or camera from beginning of taken merchandise off shelf to leaving the store.

Worked loss prevention for a while

I actually had this question last week. When I went to the Millbury outlets on a Friday, they cover that place with cops. Literally, two in every store. As I walked into Dicks, the alarm went off, probably from something I had bought from kohls and was still carrying. Then a minute or so later 2 cops came in doing their rounds, the whole time I wondered if the alarm going off upon my exit would be considered probable cause for the cops. They weren't there for the first instance so it's reasonable for them to not know that there is a malfuntion. Turns out that they left before I did, and the alarm did go off again and I had a manager come running up to me. Unfortunately he doesn't know the meaning of some very choice words I said to him in spanish as I kept walking.

They must see you take something off the shelf and follow you by foot or camera from beginning of taken merchandise off shelf to leaving the store.

This. I'm friends with the AP guy at work, he was bewildered a few weeks ago when he tried to stop someone for stealing DVD's.

"Sir, excuse me, can I speak with you?"
"No"
"Sir, I really need to speak with you!" *guy keeps walking*

Not many petty thieves are that confident.

There are some jurisdictions where willful concealment of merchandise is sufficient for a conviction, however, it is obviously easier to grab someone once they left the store.

The most common tags are NOT RFID.

The white, rectangular strips have two strips of foil in them which are either apart or stuck together with magnatism. I don't know which way activates the alarm. The counter-deactivators are strong enough to always "turn them off". Some of the handhelds just toggle it off and on.

Sometimes a box containing a bottle of aspirin will have the tag and often are in a woman's purse.

BTW, if you beep on the way in, and the registers are not busy, you might want to take a minute to find out where the tag is and get it deactivated and avoid all future hassles.

--jcr

Many moons ago when I carried a portable radio for work. I would consistently set them off. These days, if it beeps or some one asks to see my receipt, I just keep walking. I know I didn't steal anything and its my receipt, why would I show it to them?

Gillham: I didn't get the message where's the rally point?

My wife had this happen every time she wore a particular pair of pants. Something was woven inside the fabric and never de-activated or something...

The RF tags are tiny radio antennas/resonators that interact with the radio field as they pass between the "detectors" at the store entrance.

The deactivators are specially tuned radios that broadcast a signal strong enough to burn out a bit of the antenna causing the device not to respond to the detectors anymore. The signal strength of the deactivator is such that the tag has to get very close to it to burn out.

At least that's how some of the systems work.

I actually had this question last week. When I went to the Millbury outlets on a Friday, they cover that place with cops. Literally, two in every store. As I walked into Dicks, the alarm went off, probably from something I had bought from kohls and was still carrying. Then a minute or so later 2 cops came in doing their rounds, the whole time I wondered if the alarm going off upon my exit would be considered probable cause for the cops. They weren't there for the first instance so it's reasonable for them to not know that there is a malfuntion. Turns out that they left before I did, and the alarm did go off again and I had a manager come running up to me. Unfortunately he doesn't know the meaning of some very choice words I said to him in spanish as I kept walking.

Then why did you say them in Spanish?

You should have pulled your steel to let everyone know it was you, and you had the situation under control.

Back
Top Bottom