Selling an AR lower with upper separate

SKS Ray

NES Member
How would someone in Massachusetts go about selling a complete AR lower along with an upper but not as a complete rifle?
All Mass legal bullshit considered, I have a RRA complete lower that I bought at a show after background check, etc. received my paperwork from the seller like any other gun, but I also have a RRA standard upper that I'd like to sell. The parts aren't together because I wanted a target upper but bought the standard one just for the hell of it and was saving for a nice target upper.
Now since the NES lower buy came to plan I decided I'd build a target AR instead of shooting a standard config rifle so I'd like to get rid of the RRA lower and upper I have but its not a registered complete gun.
My question is do I assemble the parts I have now, and send in an FA10 registration, then sell, or can I sell the lower as a transfer and include the upper with the buy? [thinking]

I'm heading out of state... how much are you looking to get for both of them? What length upper/type of barrel/hand guard? Is it a 2stage trigger?

Its a Massachusetts rifle lovers dream w/out the 2 month wait. Standard Rock River Arms upper with ground bayonet lug, tricked out Mass legal muzzle brake, and I think its 20 inches. All built by RRA for Mass owners.
Not sure of the trigger, I think its a bare bones model but could be wrong. I bought it complete for $250 at a show a year or so ago brand new still oiled.
For someone like yourself, you may want a no ban model with lug and standard flash hider.

Ahh, yeah, I am looking to build/for a 16" threaded free-float barrel with an A4 upper but of course it seems I have plans for at least 5 AR-15 lowers so variety of uppers is nice too.

FWIW, I'm looking for an inexpensive mass legal upper to get me started with the group buy lower. Is yours an A2 (carry handle) or A4 (flattop)?

Pm sent on upper if you decided after your question was answered that your interesting in parting with it.

Neither the upper nor lower received by themselves constitute a forearm under Massachusetts law, so (other than avoiding federal problems associated with an interstate sale of the lower) you'd sell them pretty much the same way you would a camera or computer. No paperwork of any kind required.

Ken

If I am not mistaken, the lower receiver needs to be treated as a firearm as it is the serialized part.

The lower receiver is all that matters. The gun can be sold assembled as an upper has no bearing on the "registration".

If I am not mistaken, the lower receiver needs to be treated as a firearm as it is the serialized part.

The lower receiver is all that matters. The gun can be sold assembled as an upper has no bearing on the "registration" .

Per your description, all Glock slides & barrels would be firearms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom