Self made homedefense reloads

I make my own but when I carry. I carry factory loads, I heard that if you carry your own that You use them in self defence the court will have a field day with you.

In some calibers (eg, .40 S+W) the profile is likely close to the same thing, because all .40 cal pistol bullets are usually truncated cone/flat point anyways- they're basically just hollow points without a hollow space in the top.

It's not a big deal but it is something I prefer to mess with as little as possible.

-Mike

Yeah, 40 cal.

I like to carry deadly style (aren't they all deadly??) Hollow Points. I can't AFFORD to shoot thousands of rounds of the style I carry, as factory ammo. That is to say, it's important to me that I shoot a lot, to be proficient at shooting. So, pick any popular factory self defense rounds. . . . I can't afford to shoot thousands of those, so that when I ***HAVE*** to fire them in my carry gun, I have confidence in my shooting ability to hit what I am aiming at.

Sooooooooooo.... I reload my own Hollow Points, and shoot thousands of those. And, that's what I carry in my carry gun. I know exactly how my gun will perform. Whether I fire it at a bad guy on the street, or at a defenseless paper target. It will perform exactly the same way as any one of the thousands of previous rounds at the practice range.

I think it's "foolish" (don't beat me up on that one) to shoot one round at practice, and then shoot a "few" self defense rounds once in a while, and then head out onto the streets of life carrying something that you rarely shoot.

Attorney: "Now, tell me, Mr. Jones. How often do you shoot the rounds that you killed my client with?"

Mr Jones: "Uh, I only shoot them once in a while, because they are so expensive"

Attorney: "Oh, so you would say that you are NOT an expert at shooting those particular rounds?"

You see how silly that is? Using factory rounds can get you in as much trouble as anything.

Call me silly, but I want to shoot (out in the big bad world) exactly what I shoot all the time at the range. What jury is going to have an issue with that?

This is a silly argument. I can duplicate the weight and muzzle velocity of my carry ammo using cheap cast bullets. That provides me all the feedback I need to know how my pistol will react when firing defensive ammo.

from what i have found, Kittery sells hornady hp bullets per 100 for $17.00(rounding) and a box of 500 regular lead bullets for $52.00 if I'm not mistaken, that's only 7 cents more a round. granted that a lot of money after shooting as often as some do.

if you don't reload that's a different sorry on exactly how much, im not sure at the moment.

Edit: kittery seems more expensive in some area's so depending on your local gun shop, it could be completely different.

I can get Missouri Bullet Co. cast bullets in both .356" diameter (for 9mm) and .357" diameter (for .38 Special and .357 Magnum) for $56/1000 ($62 once you include shipping).

There is no way I am reloading jacketed or even plated bullets with that price point for cast lead.

I like to carry deadly style (aren't they all deadly??) Hollow Points. I can't AFFORD to shoot thousands of rounds of the style I carry, as factory ammo. That is to say, it's important to me that I shoot a lot, to be proficient at shooting. So, pick any popular factory self defense rounds. . . . I can't afford to shoot thousands of those, so that when I ***HAVE*** to fire them in my carry gun, I have confidence in my shooting ability to hit what I am aiming at.

Sooooooooooo.... I reload my own Hollow Points, and shoot thousands of those. And, that's what I carry in my carry gun. I know exactly how my gun will perform. Whether I fire it at a bad guy on the street, or at a defenseless paper target. It will perform exactly the same way as any one of the thousands of previous rounds at the practice range.

I think it's "foolish" (don't beat me up on that one) to shoot one round at practice, and then shoot a "few" self defense rounds once in a while, and then head out onto the streets of life carrying something that you rarely shoot.

Attorney: "Now, tell me, Mr. Jones. How often do you shoot the rounds that you killed my client with?"

Mr Jones: "Uh, I only shoot them once in a while, because they are so expensive"

Attorney: "Oh, so you would say that you are NOT an expert at shooting those particular rounds?"

You see how silly that is? Using factory rounds can get you in as much trouble as anything.

Call me silly, but I want to shoot (out in the big bad world) exactly what I shoot all the time at the range. What jury is going to have an issue with that?

Your practice round must perform like your carry round, but it doesn't have to be the exact same round. I just load a similar bullet to the same velocity as the factory round.

Most factory ammo was still made in America when MA first made his statement about the liability issue regarding reloads. That was quite a few years ago. For some of the factory ammo that is now produced overseas a 3%-6% failure rate is considered good enough to leave the factory. I buy the ammo I don't reload myself at Wal-Mart so the factory ammo I get is pretty much made overseas. Sorry but I don't trust the low cost ammo anywhere near as much as what I can roll myself. I'm certainly not going to not use it in my carry gun because of a statement made close to 15 years ago when other variables in the equation were different. If I'm ever in a life threatening situation I'm going to want my equipment to function fully. I trust my reloads 100%......factory ammo, not so much.[smile]

Dead is dead. If you are going to have to shoot them, make sure they are dead.

You never hear:
Atty: "Your honor, I protest that my client was killed with a stick that was not an approved stick"

or

Atty: "Your honor, I protest that my client was killed with a 2 pound rock when the state only approves the use of 1 pound rocks."

HP's, round nose, SWC's, factory loads, reloads... what's the difference? Dead is dead. And, dead is forever.

If you have to shoot. KILL.

Shooting with the intention of killing someone is not 'self defense'. This has been discussed dozens of times. If you're in a true self defense situation you should be on the defensive not on the attack and you should be shooting only to neutralize the threat.

ETA You will hear 'why did he have to kill him?'

Last edited:
I can get Missouri Bullet Co. cast bullets in both .356" diameter (for 9mm) and .357" diameter (for .38 Special and .357 Magnum) for $56/1000 ($62 once you include shipping).

There is no way I am reloading jacketed or even plated bullets with that price point for cast lead.

thanks for this bit of info, with a past purchase from this company, how is the product? is it the best price around?

Are you suggesting that in a self defense (my life is about to be terminated) situation, that I should only kill the bad guy a LITTLE BIT? Maybe just wound him?

Hahahahahaha

I'm not giving the bad guy any additional chances to kill me. You've seen the movies, they always come back to life, sneak up behind you, and try to kill you again.....

hahaha

Shooting with the intention of killing someone is not 'self defense'. This has been discussed dozens of times. If you're in a true self defense situation you should be on the defensive not on the attack and you should be shooting only to neutralize the threat.

Your practice round must perform like your carry round, but it doesn't have to be the exact same round. I just load a similar bullet to the same velocity as the factory round.

Most shootings are at less than 20 feet, I don't think you have to worry about how the bullet performs, as long as it goes BOOM!

Are you serious!? This is sarcasm right?

You can't tell me that if it is somewhat dark, but you know the BG is armed and is coming at you, you are going to shoot him in the leg, or right shoulder?
Hell no, you are going for the center.

Are you suggesting that in a self defense (my life is about to be terminated) situation, that I should only kill the bad guy a LITTLE BIT? Maybe just wound him?

Hahahahahaha

I'm not giving the bad guy any additional chances to kill me. You've seen the movies, they always come back to life, sneak up behind you, and try to kill you again.....

hahaha

Kind of like the pharmacist who decided that he would live by your words? 'Shoot to kill'. When he realized the bg wasn't dead, although the bg was no longer a threat, he calmy went back and shot him a few more times until he was dead.

Yes, like the movies when they're on the gound with 10 gallons of their own blood in a pool next to them and 15 bullet holes in their body and then the eyes pop open right when the camera zooms in their face. Or worse yet when they're zombies.

You can't tell me that if it is somewhat dark, but you know the BG is armed and is coming at you, you are going to shoot him in the leg, or right shoulder?

No sarcasm. I never said shoot legs or arms or guns. I said that you should be shooting defensively which in my opinion would be to neutralize the threat. If your mindset is to kill a bg you've gone from a defensive mindset to an offensive one.
When you go to purchase loads for your carry gun are you looking for bullets that kill the bg or are you looking for bullets that will 'stop' the bg?

Last edited:
Most factory ammo was still made in America when MA first made his statement about the liability issue regarding reloads. That was quite a few years ago. For some of the factory ammo that is now produced overseas a 3%-6% failure rate is considered good enough to leave the factory. I buy the ammo I don't reload myself at Wal-Mart so the factory ammo I get is pretty much made overseas.

For whatever it's worth, most -QUALITY- Self Defense ammo is ALL made in the USA. Federal, Speer/CCI, Remington, and Winchester all make their premium lines domestically.

-Mike

Last edited:

The proper diameter for cast lead bullets in the .38 and .357 is .358, .001 over bore diameter.

dont even do that, just shoot the weapon out of his hand!

That's a great trick shot at the range.

But.... when the adrenalin starts pumping, there's no way that you would ever make that shot. All that would do is give the bad guy extra time to hit YOU center mass.

Look, having to actually DEFEND yourself against someone who is trying to kill you is serious business. Not sure why some of you are trying to make light of such a dire and serious situation.

If some bad guy raises the threat level to the point where I feel that I have to either kill the bad guy, or the bad guy is going to kill me, the bad guy is DEAD.

Shoot until the threat is "neutralized" (no longer a threat, and you know what that means), sweep the area with your eyes and gun to be sure there are no additional threats (example: his buddies running towards you with more guns), and breathe.

Haven't any of you taken defensive handgun training?

I know where you can get some.... uhem.

P.S. Some of the advanced training suggests that the bad guys are starting to wear soft body armor. The drill is: Two to Center mass, one or two to groin area, one or two to head. Repeat as needed.

dont even do that, just shoot the weapon out of his hand!

Last edited:
P.S. Some of the advanced training suggests that the bad guys are starting to wear soft body armor. The drill is: Two to Center mass, one or two to groin area, one or two to head. Repeat as needed.

+1 for center of mass.... If you have to shoot, shoot to count....[smile]

I see no benefit in using reloads for defense.

#1 - I trust commercial defensive ammo more than I trust reloads. Why take the risk?

#2 - I don't trust the Massachusetts justice system for half a second. I already anticipate an uphill battle if I ever have to shoot in self defense. Why give them anything else to hold against me?

#3 - How I defend myself (a result of how much practice/training I've had) is going to count a hell of a lot more than what I shot the guy with.

I trust my reloads every bit as much as I trust any factory ammo.

I live in Maine. I'll try to remember to not shoot anyone in MA.

#3... thanks for making my point. Dead is dead. It doesn't matter what you shot them with.

I see no benefit in using reloads for defense.

#1 - I trust commercial defensive ammo more than I trust reloads. Why take the risk?

#2 - I don't trust the Massachusetts justice system for half a second. I already anticipate an uphill battle if I ever have to shoot in self defense. Why give them anything else to hold against me?

#3 - How I defend myself (a result of how much practice/training I've had) is going to count a hell of a lot more than what I shot the guy with.

I could come up with a bunch of reasons to use commercial ammo, but this isn't/wouldn't be one of them.

If I couldn't trust my reloads I probably would not be reloading. (EG, because rounds that don't go off when they need to might lead to a scenario where a gun gets blown up, among other things. )

-Mike

I could come up with a bunch of reasons to use commercial ammo, but this isn't/wouldn't be one of them.

If I couldn't trust my reloads I probably would not be reloading. (EG, because rounds that don't go off when they need to might lead to a scenario where a gun gets blown up, among other things. )

-Mike

I don't trust my reloads, but not because of any concerns of reliability or function. It's a matter of performance for me. Huge amounts of data can be found for factory defensive loads from all the major manufacturers. This data comes from the manufacturers themselves, independent testing, real life shoots, and even amateur box of truth style testing. I can try and duplicate those factory loads for defensive purposes, but I just feel like I'd be flying blind unless I tested the terminal performance of my own loads as extensively as ones from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom