• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self Defense and Mobs

Lank

NES Member
Does being attacked by two, three, five, seven assailants permit you to lawfully use deadly force in Mass?

Has anyone been prosecuted for using deadly force in Mass in response to an attack from several assailants?

It doesn't matter what the number is. If you are in a life threatening situation with no way out, you may want to continue living. If you have to ask......

Well I agree- better to judged by 12 than carried by 6. I was just thinking about the current environment in the US with the OWS zombies running around. They will move on from smashing windows I am afraid.

Remember your overlords do not encourage "Self Help".
In all seriousness if the OWS idiots were running around I'd make plans to be someplace else. Given the hysteria surrounding the Trayvon Martin incident I would not want to be the test case for a mob defense trial in Massachusetts.

Remember in Massachusetts it wouldn't be the first time a prosecutor has said "I can find no law to permit this.".

Up here in Free America the laws are written more clearly and I would not hesitate to defend myself or my family.

Last edited:
If you are attacked by a mob of people or even 2 or three, I think you meet the legal standard for self defense. At the end of the day, no matter how black and white the scenerio is, you may find yourself charged with murder. It will be up to a jury and how much lawyer you can afford.

If you feel your life or the life of someone you love is being threatened, start shooting and worry about it after the fact. That is what your gun is for.

It's impossible to provide meaningful answers to general broad brush stroke questions without asking a multitude of questions. So many factors and variables are involved such as whether the "mob" is armed or just a bunch of kids. There was a case if I recall correctly that a group of hunters came across a lone man carrying a firearm. He shot and killed some and was later convicted of murder.

Those vintage Ayoob videos are the best. I think its early in the first one he says, "never lie to a cop. if you lie once, you are lier. You suck one C0CK and you are a C0cksucker for life".

The law is pretty simple.

1) would a reasonable person feel their life was threatened
2) is it impossible to retreat with ABSOLUUTE safety

if the answers are both yes, you are good to go.

I prefer to blend in with the OWA guys. I've been known to wear my tactical birkenstocks (the ones with the back strap on the heel) and tie dyes to IDPA matches.

Just remember that in MA is a screwy place to live. Outside of your house, you have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force. Inside of your house, you have no duty to escape, but IIRC, the peron you intend to use deadly force must be in your house unlawfully. So, if I am correct, you would have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force on a person lawfully in your house (think, really bad domestic). Before all of this, you would have to be in reasonable fear of death or grevious bodily injury.

Just remember that in MA is a screwy place to live. Outside of your house, you have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force. Inside of your house, you have no duty to escape, but IIRC, the peron you intend to use deadly force must be in your house unlawfully. So, if I am correct, you would have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force on a person lawfully in your house (think, really bad domestic). Before all of this, you would have to be in reasonable fear of death or grevious bodily injury.
If they are not a resident of the house and you ask them to leave, and they refuse, they are no longer lawfully there.

Red Lagoon 6:2379902 said:
Just remember that in MA is a screwy place to live. Outside of your house, you have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force. Inside of your house, you have no duty to escape, but IIRC, the peron you intend to use deadly force must be in your house unlawfully.
And probably the person may have to force his way in. If you open the front door on a knock and then realize you are about to be harmed, you could probably be accused of an open door invitation. And if your door isn't locked and he just walks in, you would probably be accused of not properly securing your home. In both cases, I'm sure somehow you are at fault. I could have sworn I've heard that before...don't know if it was true or BS...But we've all seen enough to not dismiss it.

If I can make it to the back door but my children are upstairs sleeping, no way in hell am I retreating, don't know or care what the law says!

To me thats just common sense, but the more I look into MGL it makes me wonder........

Last edited:
Those vintage Ayoob videos are the best. I think its early in the first one he says, "never lie to a cop. if you lie once, you are lier. You suck one C0CK and you are a C0cksucker for life".

I prefer the never talk to a cop approach.

Racenet, LOL

Sorry, did I say children? I meant my dog. RIP George Carlin, he was one of my favorites!

GC.JPG

Last edited:
And probably the person may have to force his way in. If you open the front door on a knock and then realize you are about to be harmed, you could probably be accused of an open door invitation. And if your door isn't locked and he just walks in, you would probably be accused of not properly securing your home. In both cases, I'm sure somehow you are at fault. I could have sworn I've heard that before...don't know if it was true or BS...But we've all seen enough to not dismiss it.

Bs, trespass is trespass. Won't matter if your door is unlocked.

Mr Weebles recommended reading Principals of Self Defense by Jeff Cooper in a thread similar to this one not to long ago. Having never read it, I took his advice and ordered a copy. I just finished it a little bit ago, and I would recommend it to anyone asking these kinds of questions.

This kind of response adds needless complexity and could result in people hesitating when they should not.

If you open the door on a knock and realize you are about to be harmed, then the person is unlawfully in your home and you are justified in using deadly physical force without the need to retreat.

Back
Top Bottom