Self defense ammo (from the embedded in head thread)

FWIW, in the 1986 miami shootout- one of the agents hit one of the men with a 115 gr silvertip. It stopped like less than an inch
from the perp's heart. If the agents had better ammo at the time, that
shot would have taken the perp out of the fight a LOT earlier, hard it
traveled that extra distance to his heart.
I'm not sure that remains a pertinent example. If I recall, that particular load was designed to perform exactly as it did. The FBI protocol changed later.

I'm not a scientist nor a ballistics expert.

I use the 124G +P hydras in 9mm. I use the lighter bullet as I've a P239 with a short barrel and I figure I want a light load with fast burning powder if I'm going to get the thing up to any kind of useable velocity to penetrate and expand.

Bullets of all calibers do strange things.

This is an old thread with lots of good info, especially from drgrant, well said. Since it's been kicked I'll add my two cents.... All skulls are not created equal, and I have heard of a .45 ACP going around the victim's skull without penetrating. The skull, especially the forehead and the rear of the skull, are extremely tough, made even more so by the smooth curved surface. The sides of the skull, though, are flat and not as thick as the front and rear aspects, so it's a LOT easier to punch through there. This again is why I feel shot placement is critical, if you can get them in the "triangle" - from the tip of the nose extending out to the eyes, you will increase your chances of penetrating past bone and hitting the medulla. But, 98 times out of 100 -- at close range, with ANY bullet profile, and even with frontal or occipital bones, a perpendicular strike WILL and almost MUST shatter bone and penetrate. The hole may be neat, but shatter the bone it still does.

In .40 I shoot Winchester supreme elite bonded 180 gr, used by the FBI. In 9mm I use Federal Premium LE hydra-shok 147 grain. Both my .40s eat the winchesters like I eat skittles, same can be said for my M&P9c with the Federal 9mm...

Back
Top Bottom