seeking Advice for transfer of inherited firearms ( in state Mass.)

Hi Y'all,

My Father passed away ( 94 years old, he had a good run) and I'm seeking advice on how to transfer some firearms ( shotgun, 22 rifle, and a 22 pistol) to my Brother and Sister, who both have the Mass class A permit.

Thanks,
LT

Ok just noticed you are in South Carolina?

If that's correct your best bet is ffl to ffl transfer. Your brother up here should give you the contact info for his receiving ffl. You need to find an ffl that will ship them to mass.

Last edited:
I don't know if you need a FFL for an inheritance even across state lines, but from what I remember the items need to have been specifically mentioned in the will and to whom they were to go to.

If they were not mentioned, then the easy way is FFL to FFL, just make sure the receiving FFL will transfer them

If they were specifically willed, then they may (IANAL) be able to just bring them home and file a FA-10 within 7 days

The thread title has "( in state Mass.)" at the end so I'm assuming these are MA residents. The OP also mentions that they both have MA class A licenses.

Important considerations:
1) Was Dad a MA state resident?
2) Did Dad officially bequeath any guns to anyone?
3) If the answer to 2) is 'no' then the guns belong to Mom, if she's still around.
4) If the answer to 2) is 'yes' and the 'to whom' part are the siblings mentioned, regardless of state of residence for Dad, the executor can just transport the guns to the siblings.

I don't know if you need a FFL for an inheritance even across state lines, but from what I remember the items need to have been specifically mentioned in the will and to whom they were to go to.

Can you cite that?

My understanding was that something like,

"My gun collection is to be distributed between my children as the executor sees fit"

was sufficient.

Absolutely WRONG!!

i tried this a few years ago and it wanted my fathers valid LTC # . Did they fix this.
Also the easiest way is just meet at a local FFL and do the transfers.

Why would they fix it? They intentionally designed it to try to prevent MA residents from inheriting guns! Total violation of state law, but what they hey!

No, you don't use FFLs if the disposition was specifically mentioned in the will.

Ok just noticed you are in South Carolina?

If that's correct your best bet is ffl to ffl transfer. Your brother up here should give you the contact info for his receiving ffl. You need to find an ffl that will ship them to mass.

Not so fast at least with the lack of info provided.

Important considerations:
1) Was Dad a MA state resident?
2) Did Dad officially bequeath any guns to anyone?
3) If the answer to 2) is 'no' then the guns belong to Mom, if she's still around.
4) If the answer to 2) is 'yes' and the 'to whom' part are the siblings mentioned, regardless of state of residence for Dad, the executor can just transport the guns to the siblings.

1. is irrelevant. The rest is pertinent.

To the OP: Sorry for your loss. Go to the Sticky on Inheritance in the proper forum (this isn't it) and follow the info there.

Back
Top Bottom