Searching for Garand safe 30.06

So, like the title says, I'm looking for some 30.06 for my new to me M1. I have 8 rounds in an enbloc and then I'm out, and I would really like to shoot it this weekend.

Does anyone know of a local gun store that sells it or has anyone seen any? I'm trying to avoid putting up a WTB add.
I don't care if it's surplus or the new manufactured Garand safe stuff, I just want to shoot it.

Thanks

Picked up can @ Riley's last week. It's loose and looks like it was de-linked ammo and about 250 rounds in it. Was I believe $130.00 for the can. I would give them a call first. Most Wally worlds have the 20 round boxes on the shelf.

RE-LO-AD!
30-06 ammo is one of the priciest rounds to shoot. even if purchasing surplus.
get a simple press, dies and save all the brass. it's fun to do and you can tweak your loads to be as safe or as hot as you want.
.308 bullets are also not a rarity even at B&M stores

i don't shoot my garands a lot, because it's cost prohibitive but when i do feel like it all rounds are my own loads.
i got a bunch of good 308 brass that was reloaded/sized a couple of times each. now i'm really thinking of setting up a small annealing station for it, so i can keep shooting it more than just a couple of times.

Last edited:
He might know "somebody" in a free state to help him.
Reloading is best, yes, but some people just don't have the space for a set up. Would be nice to have friends who do!!![wink]
CMP is a wait of 30-60 days even for ammo right now.

Yeah, I would love to reload... in fact, I'd go WAY overboard with it if I could; but, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with someone else, it's just not do-able. I was looking to score some for this Saturday; so my normal in-roads to getting cheap ammo are unworkable and I'm not planning on stockpiling 30.06 for my Garand like I do my go to calibers (though maybe I should). Thanks for the ideas though.

Still on the search if anyone has seen any Surplus stuff at a local gun store. My understanding is no new production ammo for an M1 unless it was made specifically for the Garand.

UPDATE:
Found some, thanks everybody for the tips! NES is awesome.

Last edited:
You just need to pay attention to what you get. Almost all surplus 30-06 is going to be okay. Most new commercial ammo isn't going to be okay.

First, I own an M1, and I know the issue here.

Second, I do make ammo.

Now, there's no way we could get this done for this weekend. I really don't want to ship to Mass either.

I don't blame you; I wouldn't even touch this state if I hadn't been born and raised here.
My understanding is that the newer cartridges use a powder which has a different pressure (Either the pressure is higher for longer, or in a different part of the barrel) than the old USGI kind, which causes higher pressure in the gas chamber and whacks the hell out of the operating rod, causing breakages and bending.
I did find ammo though, and it isn’t priced bad for a gun store.

I don't blame you; I wouldn't even touch this state if I hadn't been born and raised here.
My understanding is that the newer cartridges use a powder which has a different pressure (Either the pressure is higher for longer, or in a different part of the barrel) than the old USGI kind, which causes higher pressure in the gas chamber and whacks the hell out of the operating rod, causing breakages and bending.
I did find ammo though, and it isn’t priced bad for a gun store.

You're really close to the right answer. The issue is the gas system on the M1. Most commercial 30-06 ammo uses slower burning rate power than the M1 gas system can handle. The same speed powder was used before the M1 was designed.

It's a hair more complicated than that, but not much. I'd have to go into specific details to clarify it, longer than what's practical here.

By the way, almost all surplus 30-06 is M1 friendly. The only stuff to avoid is anything pre WW2, and that's going to be corrosive anyways, IF you found some.

Korean usually is. I do know the stuff marked KA (Kan Sun or similar) vintage 1972 is definitely corrosive. Shoots good though. Clean your rifle appropriately or replace the primers.

O.K. I read this Korean 30-06 corrosive issue. What is a time line for this ammo meaning, I buy some, shoot some and am holding onto some till I find some of the non-corrosive ammo? It will last a year, 3yrs or longer due to how I store it. Just shoot it all asap etc..
Thanks for any info up front. Funny part I don't even have my Garand yet!![sad] I do have some ammo on order with it though.

I avoid this problem by loading my own. I use IMR 4895 powder. 150 gr projectiles work great. The heaviest bullet that reputed to be Garand safe is168 gr.

Had the same problem when I received my 43 Garand.
There are 2 companies that make new garand only ammo, Hornady, and American Eagle, Have shot the American not bad But only shot 1 box of it.
American came from Cabelas when they had it, Only seen the Hornady in the CMP store.
I have a Press so when I find cheap 3006 ammo I buy it and change out the powder for the Garand

I plan on trying to get me one, can you guys explain to me. why you don't buy the adjustable gas port thing that that will let you shoot any ammo it's only 35$

I have the same problem with the psl build I'm doing now. You need to shoot lighter ammo or you crack the receiver so I bought a adjustable gas block for it.
That thing cost me 150$.

Is it cause you want to keep it 100% gi spec? Seems like you can just install it and remove it with out any harm to the gun?

Watch out for that PSL when reloading,
To make it BATF compliant they remove the third rivot and sear over the trigger.
That's one reason why the receiver cracks
So I would not recomend any thing over the 150 GR.
Just my .02
As for the Garand
I want to keep my 43 original

I see you found some - but for 'next time', i wanted to let you know that Holliston Firearms sometimes has new mfg Garand loads from Am Eagle.

Back
Top Bottom