SD.2637: Legislation To Remove AG Authority On Firearms Sales

Called Gobi's office, thanked the for their (well beyond what I expected) help. She's signed on to this one.

Called Rosenberg's office. The woman on the phone hesitated when I gave her the title of the bill, and I had to make clear that I was calling in support of it.. Doesn't have any information on scheduling it

Sent this out today, since so many of my phone calls are getting voicemail.
Keep the pressure on!

Esteemed Senators,

As a resident of this state, I was very concerned last week when the Attorney General decided, without even affording the legislature the minimum respect of advance warning, to dramatically re-interpret the laws of this state, which have been settled and well understood for 22 years. Despite the fact that her interpretation has never been held by any court, either Massachusetts or Federal, or by the BATFE during the 10 years that they were responsible for interpreting the same law, she felt that it was appropriate to decide, on her own initiative, to re-interpret this law in a way that makes hundreds of thousands of gun owners in Massachusetts criminals. Despite her assertions to the contrary, the confusion surrounding her interpretation is so severe that multiple small businesses in the state have already closed rather than risk prosecution.
Furthermore, while she has announced that her office has no current plans to pursue charges against any of the citizens of this state who, in the course of the last 22 years, followed the law as was written and interpreted up until the 20th of July, 2016, her announcement nevertheless makes those people criminals, and either she, or any subsequent Attorney General, or any local District Attorney in this state could decide to bring charges against any of these citizens for any reason she chooses.
SD.2637 is not a bill about gun rights. It does not repeal the state's assault weapons ban, remove licensing restrictions, or otherwise repeal any of the gun-control laws which have been properly approved by the state legislature over the years. All it does is ensure, explicitly and clearly, that the Attorney General is not empowered to change the law of this state by fiat, without regard to the proper legislative process. Today, this Attorney General has decided to pursue gun-owners. If her actions are allowed to stand by the legislature, tomorrow an Attorney General could decide to pursue anyone he or she pleases.
I ask you once again to please, without delay, pass SD.2637. In the past, when it became apparent that the laws of Massachusetts provided no protection against upskirt photography, the legislature was able to come together and correct the situation in two days. I hope to see the same swift, decisive correction from you all now.

Thank you,

xxxxx

Of the two bills, it seems that HD4949 is more comprehensive. I plan to urge my state rep to support it and urge my state senator so speak in favor of it and support it if the House sends it on to the Senate.

Guys, the bill is right here to read for yourself: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/Senate/SD2637

While it does address the AGO's ability to regulate (which is a good thing in and of itself) it does not in any way address 131M or anything else in the actual MGL for that mater.

In other words it would turn this:

Into this:

And on a side note, the AG's guidance isn't even a regulation. It's not a CMR, just "guidance." I'm not sure this bill would even address it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom