SD.2637: Legislation To Remove AG Authority On Firearms Sales

Probably been said before, this deision is a test case and will effect the whole country over time if it stands. The mfg should know this. Not only the rifle mfg, but all the support industries will be effected. I would guess this is at least a $200M industry in MA. NEXT is semi-pistols. Only revolvers will be left, then none in less than 10 years.

Its more than that. Its a test case for firearms, but also a test case for how far an AG can go with the guidance trick on any law that is not specific and leaves room for "guidance"

Just spoke with staff at Humason's office. The bill is now in the Joint Rules Committee.
I asked what is the best thing to do right now, they told me to reach out to leadership, to call Senate President Rosenberg and Speaker DeLeo.

wn4n6.jpg
34eu4xe.jpg

SD.2637: Legislation To Remove AG Authority On Firearms Sales

o5usk0.jpg

Last edited:
Just called my senator and the staff member said they supported the AG position so then I asked if that meant they support turning people into felons and they said that wasn't what the AG was doing. JFC. Called Deleo's office and they said they've been getting a lot of calls and to contact the AG's office directly.

58 signed a letter... there are some other supporters. The committee would need to release it favorably, then it would either go to another committee or the floor for a vote, I THINK. Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course Baker would have to sign off on it.

Mike

Rep Scaccia is with us. We are going to be getting quite a few of fairly anti gun law makers on our side for this one.

Just called my senator and the staff member said they supported the AG position so then I asked if that meant they support turning people into felons and they said that wasn't what the AG was doing. JFC. Called Deleo's office and they said they've been getting a lot of calls and to contact the AG's office directly.

So first of all not felons. Criminals yes, not felons. You have to be convicted to be a felon and that hasn't happened (yet.)

With that said did you explain to them why they're wrong? It's very simple:
  1. Chapter 140, Section 121 defines what an "assault weapon" is. Under previous interpretations going as far back as the 1994 federal AWB it was assumed that certain things were legal based on that law. The AG office's new guidance has since made it clear that the guns we all thought were legal are, in her opinion and according to her guidance, not.
  2. Thousands of Massachusetts Citizens still own rifles that everyone (including previous Attorneys General) previously understood to be compliant. We remain in possession of those rifles, which according the the AGO's guidance are now considered assault weapons under Section 121.
  3. Chapter 140 Section 131M it is illegal for you to possess an assault weapon as defined in Section 121.

So in a nutshell, the AG's guidance says the rifles are illegal under section 121. We still own the rifles, which is a crime under section 131M. Ergo, the AGO has made us all criminals.

The AGO has indicated that she won't seek individual prosecutions for those of us who owned them prior to 7/20 at this time, but regardless of that weak promise we're still on the wrong side of the law due to the AGO's reckless actions. It also doesn't address ownership after 7/20. In short this is a legislative emergency that requires immediate attention.

Last edited:
I emailed my state senator, Bruce Tarr and asked him to get behind this bill. I'm pretty sure he will. He's a stand-up guy.

Please don't stop there. Also demand emergency relief as it pertains to Chapter 140, Section 131M which is the law that we are all technically in violation of according to the AG's office.

Minutes ago I recieved a reply to the email I sent my rep thanking him for signing the letter and prompting legislation.

here is the body of his reply...

><><><><><
I agree that the Attorney General's actions in this matter were unnecessary and an overreach of her authority. I signed onto the letter and I support further legislative action. The Judiciary Committee today is sending another letter to the Attorney General regarding the specifics of her enforcement order and pointing out the confusion it has created.

It's important that our constitutional legislative process is followed.

-Jon

Representative Zlotnik
Second Worcester District
Ashburnham, Gardner, Westminster, Winchendon

Rep Scaccia is with us. We are going to be getting quite a few of fairly anti gun law makers on our side for this one.

yeah, you want to know why? Because at some point in the future the AG could be a hardcore republican. It's not likely but it is definitely possible so they are hedging their bets. Either way as long as it works out for us...we'll just take it one step at a time.

yeah, you want to know why? Because at some point in the future the AG could be a hardcore republican. It's not likely but it is definitely possible so they are hedging their bets. Either way as long as it works out for us...we'll just take it one step at a time.
I will take it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So first of all not felons. Criminals yes, not felons. You have to be convicted to be a felon and that hasn't happened (yet.)

With that said did you explain to them why they're wrong? It's very simple:
  1. Chapter 140, Section 121 defines what an "assault weapon" is. Under previous interpretations going as far back as the 1994 federal AWB it was assumed that certain things were legal based on that law. The AG office's new guidance has since made it clear that the guns we all thought were legal are, in her opinion and according to her guidance, not.
  2. Thousands of Massachusetts Citizens still own rifles that everyone (including previous Attorneys General) previously understood to be compliant. We remain in possession of those rifles, which according the the AGO's guidance are now considered assault weapons under Section 121.
  3. Chapter 140 Section 131M it is illegal for you to possess an assault weapon as defined in Section 121.

So in a nutshell, the AG's guidance says the rifles are illegal under section 121. We still own the rifles, which is a crime under section 131M. Ergo, the AGO has made us all criminals.

The AGO has indicated that she won't seek individual prosecutions for those of us who owned them prior to 7/20 at this time, but regardless of that weak promise we're still on the wrong side of the law due to the AGO's reckless actions. It also doesn't address ownership after 7/20. In short this is a legislative emergency that requires immediate attention.

Thanks for this. I wrote emails stating we need emergency relief from Chapter 131M.

I emailed Senator Rodrigues (again) and asked if he would support. Will post his reply when recieved.

Hmm, why isn't S&W hitting the roof over this BS? I'm sure their AR-15's sell well and this would hit their bottom line. Don't they have lobbyists at the State House?

Back
Top Bottom