Scumbags came through the neighborhood last night.....

chindogg

NES Member
So some punk or punks came though my quiet neighborhood last night and went through all the unlocked cars. They took my GPS, phone charger, and spare change. Same with my neighbors I have spoken too. I think they came through between 2 - 5 AM. They were certainly comfortable as my neighbor had a bag full of wedding cards/money gifts. They took the time to go through EVERY envelope although there was no cash in them. Anyhow not a great way to start my day and week but i won't lose ant sleep over it. So what if i was to hear them and hold them by shotgun until the police arrive? Or would I better be served by capping them in the knee with a bat and tell them to hit the bricks? Joking.. kinda. What do you guys think?

I know your kidding but geezuz could you imagine holding them in place with a gun on them until the police arrive? My god the police would shit themselves and probably fire on you.

you'd be better served by locking your doors

Thanks Sherlock. I will. My other vehicles were locked but I forgot about the GPS in my work van. Nothing else of value to take really. My question is more about if they or somebody else were to come back and try breaking in my shed etc. what would/should I do ?

Call the police first. State law isn't friendly to defending property, only persons under life threatening circumstances.

Thanks Sherlock. I will. My other vehicles were locked but I forgot about the GPS in my work van. Nothing else of value to take really. My question is more about if they or somebody else were to come back and try breaking in my shed etc. what would/should I do ?

You live in MA? Call the cops. MA doesn't believe in self help.
Get some cameras, maybe they can catch the punks. Besides - it's stuff. Is it worth it to you to put yourself in a possible deadly confrontation over stuff?

Last edited:

Really a tough situation, I mean in a perfect world it would be great to post up with a few of your buddies and swarm them and kick their teeth in but unfortunately who knows when or if they come back.

Personally If it were me, I would pull anything out of the shed that has any value or use to you and lock it up so it would be difficult to get in without making alot of noise, if by chance you actually hear them breaking in then you got no choice but to call the police. Of course lock and load incase they attempt to break into your house but Im sure I dont need to tell you that [cheers]

A big dog , a laser pointer, and insomnia has me spending time over nite on the couch,
more than one car has crawled by but they haven't stopped yet.[smile]

Get some cameras, maybe they can catch the punks. Besides - it's stuff. Is it worth it to you to put yourself in a possible delay confrontation over stuff?
Good point. I know this already but when you are a victim of theft your head starts to spin a bit. Know what I mean?

Good point. I know this already but when you are a victim of theft your head starts to spin a bit. Know what I mean?

I get that. Thats why its important to prepare ahead of time. I have several friends who are borderline pansies when it comes to guns. I can't count the number of times someone has said to me "so if someone was stealing your tv, you going to shoot them?" My answer. NO. It's a tv, I can replace a tv. I know this. I know I would not take a persons life for "stuff." I would kill to protect myself or my family but my tv? NO. So hopefully if I am ever in this position, "my head won't spin" with the question.

The lesson may be not to leave valuables in your car. But based on my experience it may also be smart to leave the car unlocked. When I lived in NYC years ago I had my locked car broken into and that caused a lot of very expensive damage. Since then I have never locked it up overnight though a few times there has been evidence of somebody rummaging through the glove compartment. Sorry for your loss! It really stinks!!

So what if i was to hear them and hold them by shotgun until the police arrive? Or would I better be served by capping them in the knee with a bat and tell them to hit the bricks? Joking.. kinda. What do you guys think?

Write them in for congress, natural fit and they couldn't do any worse.

So some punk or punks came though my quiet neighborhood last night and went through all the unlocked cars. They took my GPS, phone charger, and spare change. Same with my neighbors I have spoken too. I think they came through between 2 - 5 AM. They were certainly comfortable as my neighbor had a bag full of wedding cards/money gifts. They took the time to go through EVERY envelope although there was no cash in them. Anyhow not a great way to start my day and week but i won't lose ant sleep over it. So what if i was to hear them and hold them by shotgun until the police arrive? Or would I better be served by capping them in the knee with a bat and tell them to hit the bricks? Joking.. kinda. What do you guys think?
Hanover?

Same thing happened to me, but all they got was the change on my console for tolls. They jerks hit the whole neighborhood, but only unlocked cars for chump change.

I learned my lesson and always lock the truck. Preventing a break in in progress is a sticky situation because the law doesn't give you the right to use deadly force to protect your property. You could confront the scum bags and resort to deadly force if they threatened you, but this is not the smart thing to do. The value of your property will not compare to the legal expenses you will incur in a shooting incident.

My favorite tactic is to take my Rottweiler for a walk when such a situation arises. Unfortunately when these jerks got into my truck, I ignored the dog's barking and told him to go back to sleep. All in all, this was probably the best response as I only lost about $1.00 in change.

So some punk or punks came though my quiet neighborhood last night and went through all the unlocked cars.
Back before smart phones we bought GPS's for all the sales and service people.

All but one of those stolen were in NH "Because it doesn't happen here." Including driveways on cul de sacs, and a health club early morning (window was smashed). Do a search and you will find 10-20 cars hit per night in small towns all around. Also at trail heads, commuter lots, you name it.

Prescription barbiturates are everywhere so Heroin is everywhere so junkies are everywhere so smash and grab thefts are everywhere. Portable electronics and change are the most often stolen but occasionally it's an airbag.

For some reason a lot of people don't lock their cars during snowstorms so in our normally vigilant neighborhood in Dot cars get rifled then especially. They love it if you leave backpacks to carry the stuff off.

Last edited:
Move to texas if you want to shoot an ******* that breaks into your car.

We are stuck with marshas lack of self help law here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wipe fecal material onto all doorknobs....problem solved.....this way you can still leave everything unlocked and keep complaining when someone trespasses

given the current climate in this world if you try to be the good guy and hold the bad guy at gun point the governments bad guy may show up and shoot you and release the other bad guy. It is getting pretty hard to figure out what is right at this point. Locking the car and setting the alarm is probably the best bet.

Get some cameras, maybe they can catch the punks. Besides - it's stuff. Is it worth it to you to put yourself in a possible deadly confrontation over stuff?

But this is a gun forum. The answer has to involve shooting people, and depending on the circumstances, lighting up a Kool Menthol after.

I don't know where this idea comes from, but to me, the concept of 'holding them at gunpoint' seeems like a horrible idea. unless you are prepared to explain that one of your unarmed 'prisoners' moved so you put a 6 inch hole in them, I would advise against it.

Most likely, though, the cops will just shoot you when they arrive.

Hingham had this happen recently (this week maybe?) and they grabbed a Ruger pistol out of somebody's unlocked car. I'd hate to have to explain that one.

last year they did that on my street in Braintree...my car was locked but my neighbors were not...i cleaned out my change after that and had a whopping $43 in my cup holders :)

as far as leaving a gun in a car that baffles me...that would be my biggest fear having someone break in and it goes missing

A decent criminal defense attorney is going to cost more than $250/hr. If you threatened an unarmed thief outside your home with a shotgun, you would likely need a lot more than one hour of an attorney's time.

Just how much spare change do you keep in your unlocked car and, in the days when all cars have key fobs and power door locks, why don't you just lock your car?

What is that going to accomplish? I live in the burbs and have had the same experience as the OP......twice in the last 15 years of living there (yup.....I too forget to lock my car door every now and then). It is not a bad neighborhood at all........what.....you think the pukes are stupid enough to go through THEIR OWN "hood" and take shit? They know damn well theyd get their asses beat with a friggin bat doing that shit in their own hood........they go out of their own area to do this shit.........knowing full well if they get caught doing it in the burbs 99% of the time the home owner is just gonna yell at them and call teh cops.......and they jet way before the po po shows up. I guarandamntee you the punks that did this to the OPs car were not his ****ing neighbors!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom