Scores Killed, Hundreds Injured As Para-Military Extremists Riot

Not really. Up until that day, most were still loyal Englishmen. What they didn't want was the way-off meddling that was occuring from Parliment. The idea of war against the Crown was unthinkable by most, except for the few radicals.

True! In fact, many people were critical of Timothy Pickering, the colonel of the Essex County Militia Regiment for not attacking the British energetically enough when they were about to intercept them as a body on the way back to Boston. If Pickering had marched his men faster, and all had attacked, the British would have been wiped out. However, in his voluminous writings, he indicated that he wasn't totally certain of the efficacy or prudence of committing treason and murder of his government's troops. Pickering was known as a very conservative man, but not a Tory.

Nor were the commanders of the Plymouth County Militia willing to attack British troops. They demurred in attacking the British troops in Marshfield in April 1775....

"....British General Gage, responding to pleas from loyalists in Marshfield, stationed a company of regulars in that town. “I feel great satisfaction,” Gage wrote to the citizens of Marshfield, “in having contributed to the safety and protection of a people so eminent for their Loyalty to their King.”

The soldiers frequented taverns in Duxbury and were, historian Justin Winsor observed, generally well behaved. Although on one occasion they alarmed Duxbury citizens by gathering outside the First Parish Church, peering in the windows at the service taking place there. Despite their good behavior, the redcoats enraged people through the county simply by their proximity.

On April 19, 1775, news of the battles at Concord and Lexington quickly spread throughout New England. Colonial militia companies which had been drilling for months in anticipation of a crisis rapidly gathered in Plymouth. Under the command of Colonel Theophilus Cotton, the colonial regiment, consisting of volunteers from Plymouth, Kingston and Duxbury, headed for Marshfield to engage the British. The colonial officers held a council of war at the home of Lt. Col. Briggs Alden in Duxbury.

Nearly two days slipped by before they could agree on any action. The Americans outnumbered the British company six to one. Still, Colonel Cotton hesitated to attack—perhaps a prudent decision when faced with the gravity of outright rebellion. By 3 p.m. on April 21, British sloops had arrived off Brant Rock to take their soldiers to safety in Boston."
http://www.duxburyhistory.org/duxbury_in_the_revolution.htm

Well sure as to the local area I suppose I am but at one time before I found out about the archaic firearms laws I was actually thinking about purchasing land there and moving my enterprises to that area.

I joined this board and then learned that I like the gun laws better where I'm at so YEP I'm a stranger to the board only been here since December O6 and have been to the local area on only 3 occasions.

Massachusetts sucks, but unlike CA, we can still have and purchase/sell semi-auto rifles. For now, anyway.

Well sure as to the local area I suppose I am but at one time before I found out about the archaic firearms laws I was actually thinking about purchasing land there and moving my enterprises to that area.

I joined this board and then learned that I like the gun laws better where I'm at so YEP I'm a stranger to the board only been here since December O6 and have been to the local area on only 3 occasions.
No, Sam, I was referring to you not recognizing the history lesson. We just celebrated Patriot's Day around here, The Shot Heard Round the World is well known to all of us from grade school due to the locality of it. That's all I was getting at [grin]

Well we can too there are just some restrictions on how they are configured.

In the last year I have purchased about 5-6 rifles that accept magazines and have folding stocks, ect.
Like this Colt Rifle below and the Colt below it and The HK rifle just below it.
ACECOLT1.jpg

100_2254.jpg

HK41-2.jpg

I have this Galil 308 ARM Rifle for sale if you know anyone looking for a NIB 1987 vintage Galil.
Galil308ARMNIB.jpg

I mfg this little device to lock magazines in the receiver.
TPFMAGLOCK.jpg

Yes its a hoop that we in California have to jump through to have what we want.
But we dont have to have any license to own a weapon or have one in our homes.

Massachusetts sucks, but unlike CA, we can still have and purchase/sell semi-auto rifles. For now, anyway.

Well we can too there are just some restrictions on how they are configured.

I have this Galil 308 ARM Rifle for sale if you know anyone looking for a NIB 1987 vintage Galil.
Galil308ARMNIB.jpg
Hey, if it all makes it past Lockyer and SB-23, more power to ya. BTW that is one shweeeet Galil!

With the exception of radicals such as John Hancock and Sam Adams, most of those who fought on April 19th 1775 did not wish to become independent.

Not really. Up until that day, most were still loyal Englishmen. What they didn't want was the way-off meddling that was occuring from Parliment. The idea of war against the Crown was unthinkable by most, except for the few radicals.

You guys are mis-reading the mood of many (remember I said roughly a third - not all) as it existed at the time.

Try reading Bruce Chadwick's George Washington's War for a different view. Specifically Chapter 2: The Squire of Mount Vernon.

George Washington had come to believe, as had other influential Virginians, that America had, in reality, become a separate country from Great Britain. That belief was held not only by elitist planters and prominent businessmen but by the growing American middle class and it's farmers, merchants, and shop-keepers. By 1775, when he rode to the Continental Congress, Americans has developed a wholly new life, free and independent from England.

And a few sentences later:

They (Americans) had reached the point where they felt they really no longer needed to be a part of England and, in fact resented her control over their lives.

You guys are mis-reading the mood of many (remember I said roughly a third - not all) as it existed at the time.

Try reading Bruce Chadwick's George Washington's War for a different view. Specifically Chapter 2: The Squire of Mount Vernon.

And a few sentences later:

The "third for revolution, third against, third not caring", if that's what you mean, refers to the historian Charles Francis Adams's (of that Adams family) appraisal of the situation as the Rev. War dragged on. At the beginning, though, most "easterners" (term for New Englanders) in favor of rebellion were still hoping for staying in the Empire. Further south, esp. among VA planters deep in debt to London creditors, the idea of independence sounded very good. Not so to the lower classes, mostly tenant farmers, who saw the Crown as their protector. In the Carolinas, war had been going on already (Regulators) and the population were pretty much divided in half about rebellion, to say nothing about independence. New York had a lot of Loyalists, esp. in the city of New York. And of course, we all know how the slaves and most Indians voted- with their feet, away from the rebels.

No, Sam, I was referring to you not recognizing the history lesson. We just celebrated Patriot's Day around here, The Shot Heard Round the World is well known to all of us from grade school due to the locality of it. That's all I was getting at [grin]

Hey, us west coaster get a brief learning lesson as far as history out here,(glossed over and cover the basics) otherwise I leanred more NW history than anything else.[wink]

Patriot's Day is coming in another month and a half. I was just reading about Lexington putting up a stink about guns. Is "our side" going to do anything this year? (Sorry, I don't have an answer, only the question; but I am pretty sure the permitting needs to happen well in advance if any of you are so inclined.)

Patriot's Day is coming in another month and a half. I was just reading about Lexington putting up a stink about guns. Is "our side" going to do anything this year? (Sorry, I don't have an answer, only the question; but I am pretty sure the permitting needs to happen well in advance if any of you are so inclined.)

That would be a prime time for that Concord to Boston protest March we never had.

That would be a prime time for that Concord to Boston protest March we never had.

The problem is that, while the anti's have organizations who's job is to organize things like this at the drop of a hat, we do not seem to have the same advantage.

Looking at Google popular search and terms graphs, I have the sad news of indicating that April 19th is also a very likely day for something to bump the news cycle in MA.

Expect to hear from Healey then. (plus or minus one day). The extrapolation will hit a trough around the 18th near background noise .

Looking at Google popular search and terms graphs, I have the sad news of indicating that April 19th is also a very likely day for something to bump the news cycle in MA.

Expect to hear from Healey then. (plus or minus one day). The extrapolation will hit a trough around the 18th near background noise .

Honestly, I expect her to announce some additional bullshit gun control measures and specifically reference how proud the founding fathers and the minutemen who responded to Lexington and Concord would be of it.

Oof. Not enough people care, and of those who do, not enough exposure in the news or social media.

I was just down to battle road the other day looking at a job. After I stopped at multiple spots of significance on the road. I would highly recommend spending a few hours there. And I would recommend this time of the year and early in the morning. It must have been hell for the British.

Back
Top Bottom