Scoping a shotgun help - Savage 220F 20 gauge rifled slug gun

MassMark:

Just ordered the dednutz rail. The rings are only 5 1/16 apart, so now ANY scope will fit and I don't need to worry about clamping rings down at the bell.

Awesome! That 220 is going to ROCK! BTW - have you looked into another scope? We have a Leupold vari-X 2-7 that has a BDC reticle..It's really something, though it's not camo and is not under $30.00... [smile]

Some other thoughts on ammo: in the 2.75, have you looked into the Federal Fusion? Also, Lightfields, Hornady SST's and don't rule out 2.75 AccuTips...

Awesome! That 220 is going to ROCK! BTW - have you looked into another scope? We have a Leupold vari-X 2-7 that has a BDC reticle..It's really something, though it's not camo and is not under $30.00... [smile]

Some other thoughts on ammo: in the 2.75, have you looked into the Federal Fusion? Also, Lightfields, Hornady SST's and don't rule out 2.75 AccuTips...

Can you shoot me a going rate on that scope? I've been thinking about something like a Nikon Pro Staff.

Just ordered some more ammo to try:

Winchester Supreme Partition Gold Sabot Slugs 3.0"
Ounces: 280 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 2000 fps

Winchester Supreme Platinum Tip Hi-impact Sabot Slugs 2.75"
Ounces: 260 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps

Should be delivered hopefully on Friday so I can take it to the range on Saturday. Those 3" Winchester Partition Gold should be screamers.

So how'd it go??????

I think I decided to wait a bit. I was at KTP yesterday to pick up some duck hunting supplies and decided to ask about them while I was there.

I have a good slug gun for this season. I want to see how this all shakes out and see if Savage makes any modifications for the reported scope mount/ejection issues. And if not, see how you make out and learn from your trials and tribulations :)

+1 to MassMark, the DNZ mount is brilliant and for sure will avoid all ejection issues. Unfortunately, my Bushnell Banner doesn't fit! I swear I'm cursed.

IMGP0594.jpg

IMGP0595.jpg

IMGP0596.jpg

IMGP0597.jpg

How does it eject with the scope mounted?

Didn't throw any rounds in it yet. The DNZ mount is perfectly cut around the receiver, so I know that's not going to get in the way like the EGW mount. Also, I opted with the medium height mount and by the look of it, it appears to give more than enough clearance for clean ejection.

Nice! Just to give you an idea: Nikon ProStaff 2-7 shotgun scope, (really nice) $139.99 and a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope, (off the charts nice) $249.99 Let me know if your local Dicks doesn't have them - I can get them out there. Feel free to shop around as well, as there may be better prices - check SWFA. Congrats on the set-up!

[cheers]

First range report. To get it sighted in, took 7 shells. $14. At 25 yards it shoots laser beams one after another right next to each other. At 100 yards, WOW the Bushnell Banner is truly a piece of garbage. It just didn't feel right as it was blurry as can be and combined with my new gun jitters, it just did not shoot to my standards. However, that being said, I think once I settle down with it at 100, I'll have no issue. It definitely needs new glass though first.

Then I took my Ruger 77 w/ Sightron scope, and that was shooting laser beams at 100. So I know it's not just me, it has something to do with the equipment. It's time to invest in a spotting scope, a boresighter, and some serious range time.

Most importantly, NO MORE CHEAP SCOPES.

Maybe now you'll consider US Optics? lol

Haha, I think I'll go for another Sightron, great glass. The problem is there's really no way to test fit before you buy. Well I shouldn't say that, there's no place to test fit before I buy that charges a reasonable price for the same scope. $250 for a scope that sells for $160 online just doesn't cut it for me in most cases. Going to do my research and probably call Sightron, maybe even send the scope mount and gun to them and let them match something up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom