Scopes - Expensive or cheap?

Seriously,if you can't tell the difference in the glass or light gathering capabilities,there is no reason to buy expensive scopes.
I disagree.

If your use profile calls for precision shots at long distance (NRA Highpower/Prone, organized long range benchrest, long range tactical competitions) clarity and brightness of image, while important, take a back seat to the scope's mechanical integrity. Specifically the repeatability of the windage and elevation adjustments (turrets and erector tube) and of the magnification adjustment.

Without rock solid, repeatable windage and elevation adjustments, long range shooters are doomed to fail.

Cheap scopes NEVER succeed when the mission profile calls for mechanical repeatability. Never.

ETA: just as point of illustration, the front and rear sight set on this rifle is $700. That's easily double what most hunters pay for a scope and four to ten time as much as what most plinkers pay for some chink-made POS.

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

Just like GMC trucks, I demand professional grade equipment because my sport requires it. Without it there is no chance of success.

Last edited by a moderator:
scopes

My take is an inexpensive scope is suitable for an inexpensive rifle.I cant see a expensive scope on a twenty two unless you are into compitition.I have a number of low cost scopes,in the under $20 class they work for me.generaly I set them once and leave them.if high prices are your thing go for it.but if you have a gun thats $200 why put a $800 scope on it.flame a way.[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom