Scope on a Mauser Action help, bitte.

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Here's the situation: A WWII-era Mauser action was re-barreled (sporterized) for .308 WIN.

One of the LittleHappies (not so little, anymore), thinks it needs a scope. The front and rear rings are both drilled, but they're at different heights (front is higher).

Is there an "off-the-shelf" solution for this conundrum?

Oh, and I didn't do the chop-job, so don't flame me: I bought the thing, as the price for the rifle was less than the Lyman rear sight was worth! [laugh]

Here's the situation: A WWII-era Mauser action was re-barreled (sporterized) for .308 WIN.

One of the LittleHappies (not so little, anymore), thinks it needs a scope. The front and rear rings are both drilled, but they're at different heights (front is higher).

Is there an "off-the-shelf" solution for this conundrum?

Oh, and I didn't do the chop-job, so don't flame me: I bought the thing, as the price for the rifle was less than the Lyman rear sight was worth! [laugh]
do you have pictures? If It was done correctly you might be able to add a base from EGW or brownells ? Luepould makes a one piece base for the mauser ....theres also a slew of scout style bases that install on the rear sight base?

Or just say screw it and scope it up old school and mount a short side rail and a nock off 4x90 ?

Last edited:
Not a problem - here's a picture of a typical Mauser scope base set, Weaver in this case.

weaver_47515_aluminum_2_piece_scope_1130541.jpg

There are multiple Mauser receiver dimensions, so you do need to identify what you have when you start shopping scope bases for your particular Mauser. I had to return the first set I bought for a Zastava M70, but the right scope base for your rifle is out there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom