• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on safes!

if you have any power/air tools in your garage, lock them in the safe with your guns, so they can't be used to break in.
You have extra room in your safe?
I have a safe (Okay, really a RSC) just for my safe-breaking tools. I just hope I never lose the key.

I use the rechargeable dehumidifiers inside my safe which work great but if it's really humid in your basement, it's only a matter of time before they fill up with moisture and you have to charge/dry them out again. But I don't have any experience with the goldenrod/dehumidifier rods in safes. You should be fine if you're running a dehumidifier in the basement which is what I do. I try to keep it at 55% so it's not running constantly.
A goldenrod doesn't remove water, rather it adds a little heat, hopefully keeping the guns above the dew point. Good enough in a basement that's otherwise kept around 55% and 55F, but not protection enough for a garage in NE.

Often on the less expensive safes, the tools found in a typical basement workshop can be used to cut open the sides. The doors are much thicker and more difficult to get through.
All such tools, or at least the blades/torch tips, should be stored in the safe.

It has a manual override involving a key if the batteries run out but as rob mentioned on the first page,
If it's one of those tubular keys, or conventional pin tumbler (ie, not Medco or Abloy), figure about 10 minutes for an NES volunteer to pick open the safe if the combination lock fails and you lose the key, and about an hour while you and he consume the pizza you bought to pay the opening fee. That is, of course, if it's not a long drive.

There was a great thread recently about firearms coverage and homeowner's insurance:

www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin...owners-insurance-question?highlight=Insurance

I think the general consensus is that your fire coverage is much better than your theft coverage, so unless you have collector's/sentimental firearms, narrow your search to the safes that offer the best theft protection. Nearly every safe will be susceptible to determined thieves with the proper tools, so complement your safe with a good home security system and hope that the first responders in your community have quick response times!

Pay more attention to burgularly than fire protection. The special "firearms limit" on homeowners policy is generally for loss by theft or mysterious disappearance, with no such limit on loss by fire.

Rob's post is spot on. I will add that really good fireproofing also equals a very well insulated safe (less temp flux) which given your garage location should be considered. Obviously go for the highest security you can afford - maybe consider building an insulated closet around the safe in the garage -- good concealment and again less temp swings.

Back
Top Bottom