School me on lever action rifles

... What about Winchester 1873, replica gun obviously?

Winchester did not have the configuration that I wanted, 24" Oct bbl, full mag, color case hardened receiver, in .357 Mag.
The winchester guns seemed to be very much limited editions ( pricey too), so I drove up to KTP and bought an Uberti 1873 off the shelf.
No regrets at all.

Jack

The Henrys are very nice but there's just something about them ergonomics wise for me that turns me away. I do have a Henry Frontier, a fun plinker, that I stripped the powder coat from, 'color cased' the metal and refinished the wood.

When I wanted a lever repeater in a larger caliber I found an original Winchester 1886 in 45-70 that needed a little work.
1887 manufacture. Got the Cody letter for it.

1874 Sharps 45-110
Winchester 94 32 Win Special
Henry Frontier

I feel the same about Henry ergonomics

I have heard nothing but glowing reviews on the action of the Henry's but I could never get past the loading tube instead of the traditional loading gate.

I am not an expert but I have one that is used for range fun.

Bob

I much prefer a loading gate vs. loading tube

I have a Puma Rossi .38 / .357 lever action carbine that I bought back around 1986 or so that's just incredible fun to take out every so often and shoot. It's engraved, nice wood, and I had no good reason for buying it other than I saw it and had to have it. Haven't regretted it for a second.

Not sure where you are, but Jimmy Spurs in Derry NH normally has some nice 73s.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/newfirearms.html

rifles600.jpg

Last edited:
the best thing about lever action rifles, is how they sound EVERY TIME you fire one:

Makes you think you are Chuck Connors

[smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
I much prefer a loading gate vs. loading tube

I've never shot a lever gun with a loading gate so I can't compare. But loading the Henry isn't that bad. Especially when you feel how smooth the action is, it's worth the very minor inconvenience of loading via the tube.

Did anybody catch the last season of Longmire, when Katy needed to use her ceremonial rifle for self defense, and couldn't figure out how to load it because it didn't have a loading gate?

Did anybody catch the last season of Longmire, when Katy needed to use her ceremonial rifle for self defense, and couldn't figure out how to load it because it didn't have a loading gate?

Yup, although she did figure out that old school Henry pretty quickly.

I've got a Winchester '73 short barrel rifle in .357 and yes I overpaid for the name. I don't care. I love the rifle. Tons of fun and accurate at 100 yards which is really all you can ask of a pistol caliber rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I just made my entry to lever guns about a month ago with a Uberti silverboy which Buds still has for like $315. It is so fun to shoot and it is a very nice looking rifle. I did encounter some cycling issues and sent it back for repair (shipping covers by Buds because I opted for the $15 lifetime guarantee). I just got it back yesterday and can't wait to take it out.if you would consider a .22 I would highly recommend it for the price.

I've got a Winchester '73 short barrel rifle in .357 and yes I overpaid for the name. I don't care. I love the rifle. Tons of fun and accurate at 100 yards which is really all you can ask of a pistol caliber rifle.

This is ONE nice rifle. In my opinion there is no such thing as overpaying for quality. You almost always get what you pay for.

I shot my first deer with a ~50-year old Winchester 94 carbine. Lovely gun if you can find an older one. I don't think I would buy a factory new one now, though I have the one I used to hunt with coming my way via inheritance one day.

Henry is very nice at a reasonable price point. I hate the way you load the magazine on them, but they shoot beautifully and the lever is one of the smoothest I've ever handled. Uberti is also very nice, though much pricier I think. I have no real first hand experience with them, though. If you can find a pre-buyout Marlin, that might be a decent choice for a starter gun. My grandfather hunts with one chambered in .35 Remington. QC went downhill once they got bought out, though I hear they're starting to fix those issues now.

Also overpaid for the name, and frankly it was worth it... I like it better than the Ubertis I've handled an the fit and finish is excellent.

I don't know why so many of you dislike the direct tube loading of the Henry, I have a whole slew of lever guns and I prefer that feature over the side gates of the others, especially in pistol calibers.
If you're starting from an empty gun, it's actually faster to fully load, and you don't get your fingertips pinched in a side gate. Also, if you need to unload the gun for some reason, it's much faster and far safer to remove the spring tube and dump out the rounds, without the need to crank every round through the chamber. You won't have to pick them up off the ground either.
The only advantage you lose is the ability to quickly top off the magazine after only firing a shot or two.

Are you looking for a carbine,rifle or short rifle? Crescent or shotgun butt? Round or octagonal barrel? The crescent butt looks better to me but can be harder on the shoulder.

Just bought a Uberti 1873 short Rifle in .357 Mag from gunbroker. Probably pick it up later this week from my FFL.
Now I just Need a SAA to go with it. Anybody have experience with the Ruger Vaquero?

Just bought a Uberti 1873 short Rifle in .357 Mag from gunbroker. Probably pick it up later this week from my FFL.
Now I just Need a SAA to go with it. Anybody have experience with the Ruger Vaquero?
Nice gun. If you're looking for an SAA clone it's a good choice. Transfer bar vs pin on the hammer but IMO that's a plus

Have two and love them. I think they stopped doing the case hardening a while ago, now just blue and stainless. I think the stainless is easier to live with day to day.

I've had several lever guns over the years but have kept the two Marlins (both with JM markings) in 38/357 and .41 mag. Both IMO are excellent and the .41 is particularly fun to shoot, particularly with an accompanying revolver to go with them.

my henry 22 lever gun was not smooth. it cycles 22 shorts or longs fine, but most 22lr it misfed anytime the action was closed slowly. basically had to slam the action closed to prevent jams. when i called henry they said this was normal. so i got rid of that rifle.

i also had a henry lever 44 carbine steel. that was a nice rifle. loading on the henry's is a little strange but got used to it. the action on their centerfire rifles seem better than rimfire. i only sold it due to cost of ammo as i prefer putting 44 mag through a 629 than the lever gun.

i'm still in the market for a henry 357 steel carbine.

personally if looking for a real nice lever gun i agree w above go with Uberti or perhaps a Marlin if one can find in desired chambering (sorry i'm not a 30-30 fan).

I would love to handle this 1892 carbine from Taylor & Co, but I know the credit card would burst into flames

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long...io-bravo-carbine-357-mag-20-round-barrel.html

I am very happy with my Rossi 92, but it went to Steve's Gunz for a full action job and some upgrades before I ever shot it.

Also have a pre Rem Marlin 94 in .357 as well.

Had a pre safety 336 in 30-30 but the ammo cost made me give it to a friend. Get to shoot it when I am at his place in Maine, so that is enough for me.

I don't know why so many of you dislike the direct tube loading of the Henry, I have a whole slew of lever guns and I prefer that feature over the side gates of the others, especially in pistol calibers.
If you're starting from an empty gun, it's actually faster to fully load, and you don't get your fingertips pinched in a side gate. Also, if you need to unload the gun for some reason, it's much faster and far safer to remove the spring tube and dump out the rounds, without the need to crank every round through the chamber. You won't have to pick them up off the ground either.
The only advantage you lose is the ability to quickly top off the magazine after only firing a shot or two.

Honestly, I see that as more dangerous if you have to unload than levering them all out since you've got one in the chamber with your hand potentially in front of the muzzle trying to twist open the spring tube. Faster, yes, but I think in that situation I would still crank them out the ejection port.

I like the tube loading of the Henry. I've got a Marlin 30-30 and loading sucks through the gate. I can't see a situation where I need to tactically load so the tube appeals to,me and my bratwurst thumb much more.

Back
Top Bottom