• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on FNH FNX9 - anyone own one?

How's the FNX-9, anyone have first hand experience? Friend was in the market for a new fully ambi lefty friendly gun asked me my opinion but since I don't own one and never shot one, asking the hive mind here. Is the plastic still squishy? Build quality and reliability compared with Sig/HK? Naturally I recommended the HK P30 and VP9 product lines but he liked the stainless slide option of the FNX. Thanks everyone

All major brands ie: Glock, Sig, S&W, H&K, CZ, Beretta, FN and I'm sure I'm missing some will have fully reliable and reputable firearms. It's all really the same shit at this point (that's right f*** all you fan boys). Matter of finding what you like and how much you care about the aftermarket.
FNX had a very small batch of out of spec polymer frames quite a while ago, but made that right. All the companies above have had issues in one capacity or another.
My only real complaint about FN guns is that the factory trigger on the 509s are god awful. That says a lot because I don't think Glocks have bad triggers compared to a more common consensus that they do. I'm a part time dealer and have no real dog in this fight apart from making sure people are happy.
The FNX9 is fine, it's a solid hammer fired gun with a polymer frame. If it fits his hand, the price makes sense and he practices then he should be good to go. The only downside is aftermarket support of those lines of handguns really. Which isn't really a minus for me because almost none of my handguns get all gussied up apart from lights and maybe red dots.

All major brands ie: Glock, Sig, S&W, H&K, CZ, Beretta, FN and I'm sure I'm missing some will have fully reliable and reputable firearms. It's all really the same shit at this point (that's right f*** all you fan boys). Matter of finding what you like and how much you care about the aftermarket.
FNX had a very small batch of out of spec polymer frames quite a while ago, but made that right. All the companies above have had issues in one capacity or another.
My only real complaint about FN guns is that the factory trigger on the 509s are god awful. That says a lot because I don't think Glocks have bad triggers compared to a more common consensus that they do.
The FNX9 is fine, it's a solid hammer fired gun with a polymer frame. If it fits his hand and he practices then he should be good to go.

Yes, except its easy sell to suggest someone purchase a gun that has a way better ecosystem behind it. FN is f***ing terrible compared to most other brands you mentioned in that sense. Good luck getting parts, mags, etc vs time. Even HK is likely going to be better there in long term. None of FNs newer handguns really ever had a large user base.

Also another consideration for the OP- Ability to roll. If someone buys an Fn and hates it, they’re going to get their nuts cut off when they flip it. If they bought an HK, Glock, or Sig, lets say, they’ll get most of their cash back faster.

I own one and find it to be an awesome alternative to others on the market. Personally what drew me to it was having a hammer and decocker. It fits good and the finish on the slide looks sleek compared to others I own and have fired like the mp2.0, glock and so on. I’m a bigger guy so I carry it concealed and “duty”. My only gripe is the grip, it can seem too aggressive at times but I prefer the style over the more grip tape types. For the price point it’s amazing. As mentioned previously, it does lack some support but it comes with not going with a glock, hk or s&w

Yes, except its easy sell to suggest someone purchase a gun that has a way better ecosystem behind it. FN is f***ing terrible compared to most other brands you mentioned in that sense. Good luck getting parts, mags, etc vs time. Even HK is likely going to be better there in long term. None of FNs newer handguns really ever had a large user base.

Also another consideration for the OP- Ability to roll. If someone buys an Fn and hates it, they’re going to get their nuts cut off when they flip it. If they bought an HK, Glock, or Sig, lets say, they’ll get most of their cash back faster.
Don't entirely disagree. But let's be honest the ecosystem for parts behind any of the brands above that aren't glock or H&K are shit. Getting parts for a Sig is a PITA and lord help you if they change generationally or legacy your ass. H&K might rake you over the coals, but you'll be able to find parts for that gun for the rest of your life. Glock hasn't made any meaningful changes to their guns apart from the gen 3 to 4 shift and as such will likely always be available too.
It comes down to what's the circumstance in which he is seeking a FNX9? If this gun is used and in that 400ish range that we saw them for precovid (I say precovid because I haven't seen one at all during covid) then it's still not a bad buy.

I have found that when I am interested in a certain firearm I YouTube the shit out off it.
Most of the time you will get a good idea of what's it like.

The guy wanted to spend around 500 for it. Doesn't like striker guns so selection a little limited. Also a lefty so doesn't like the sig classic lines with the only left side decocker. HK would be the natural option but it's a bit over what he wants to cough up.

I agree
The guy wanted to spend around 500 for it. Doesn't like striker guns so selection a little limited. Also a lefty so doesn't like the sig classic lines with the only left side decocker. HK would be the natural option but it's a bit over what he wants to cough up.
I agree that if he is a left and wants to maximize the P30 series would be a good stop for him. I like my P30L, but that’s a bit over the $500 mark. Even new the FNX9 will be over that number too though and if he’s gonna do new, the P30 is the better buy.

I thought it was a solid piece with a great trigger that looks slick

But I could not hit shit with it or control it

It requires a funky hold that is and was different than all my other pistols

They use a half moon hold

I found it very hard to control. The recoil spring looks like something out of a click pen.

Im by no means jerry miculek but I'm really not as bad a shot as i was with that gun

My buddy who isnt a good shot wasnt bad with it tho but he cant string shots together his hands shake

I agree

I agree that if he is a left and wants to maximize the P30 series would be a good stop for him. I like my P30L, but that’s a bit over the $500 mark. Even new the FNX9 will be over that number too though and if he’s gonna do new, the P30 is the better buy.
Test before you shoot it i hate the hk mag release it rubs my finger raw

Under or around 500

Czp09 or any of the polymer cz knock offs are kick ass guns

Back
Top Bottom