School me on Chokes

In God We Trust

NES Member
I have a couple of choke questions.

I have a Remington 870 Magpul. It came with a breaching choke installed and I hate it. I will not ever be breaching doors with it and it just looks tactigay.

If I unscrew the choke and shoot slugs and shot, will this bang up and ruin the threads in the barrel?

Also, I am considering just putting a real choke in. I won't ever be duck hunting with this gun, just keep it for home defense / range fun. In that capacity is a choke worthwhile?

Can I still fire regular slugs through a choke? I know nothing about chokes, so feel free to talk to me like a 10 year old. Thanks for any help guys.

Your breaching choke can come off? I purchased a mossberg from a member on here and it is permanently attached to the barrel but you can add a choke to it inside where the threads are. Not sure if you could even cut it off and still stay within the legal limit or maybe just grind the teeth down? If it is such a bother why don't you just sell it and buy a different one?

Charles.

The choke screws into the barrel and comes off easily. The barrel itself is legal without the choke.

uhm what! I know that, I was talking about the breaching tip you don't like. On mine it is part of the barrel and can't be removed but inside I have threads and can put any choke I want into it.

Charles.

Mossberg 500.jpg

Okay I guess you can't really see what I'm talking about with the picture, but mine is all one peice and it can't just come off!

Last edited:
2Q==

I thought you meant this hahaha choke.jpg

Shotgun ChokeYardageShotgun Choke Restriction
Diameter difference between bore and shotgun choke
Cylinder< 200
Skeet22.5.005 of an inch
Improved Cylinder25.010
Light Modified30.015
Modified32.5.020
Improved Modified35.025
Light Full37.5.030
Full40 or More.035
Extra Full40 or More.040

Do not shoot with out something in there, there is a chance of damaging up the threads, you can get a thread protector instead, or you can get a open (bacicly same size as the barral) or improved choke, thats slightly smaller then the barral, but still will shoot slugs and most any thing else,

most chokes will say what you can shot out of them,

Last edited:
Cylinder= no constriction/same bore for whole barrel

Improved cylinder= slightly restricted

Modified= more restricted

Full= very restricted

Extra full= very very restricted.

Slugs are safe in all but extra full.

Cylinder= no constriction/same bore for whole barrel

Improved cylinder= slightly restricted

Modified= more restricted

Full= very restricted

Extra full= very very restricted.

Slugs are safe in all but extra full.

Also again, Most chokes will tell you on the package if they are made for shooting slugs, steel shot or whatever, there are many types of chokes other then just size of the cylinder

, if there is something specific you want this shot gun for, try looking up chokes for that shot gun with say home defense as part of the search, you will be amazed by what's out there

They make shot gun muzzle brakes as well , might be something your looking for

Back
Top Bottom