• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on .44 magnum

OP here.

So I went out to the gun shop and really liked the Ruger Alaskan and decided to buy it. While there I also really liked the S&W 629 with a 5” barrel and bought one of those also!

Range day was today. I shot some heavy magnum loads out of both and some 44special also.

The 44 special is a pussycat out of both. Both are accurate. The single action on both are good enough that I can’t really tell the difference. The double action on the Smith is sooooo much better than on the Ruger.

The big difference for me was the felt recoil was much greater on the Smith. It was not comfortable at all to shoot. That exposed steel back strap is a terrible design. The web of my hand felt like I caught a big league fastball barehanded. Ok maybe that’s a tad dramatic but it was significant recoil. The Ruger however ate up a ton of recoil and it was no more fearsome than my gp100 shooting hot 357.

Are there better grips to be had that will tame the 629? Most of the rubber grips I see online don’t cover the exposed metal back strap which I think is the issue.
You couldn't feel a difference between the ruger and Smith in single action? Good lord my 629 single action is amazingly better than any ruger revolvers I've ever shot.

As far as grips these pachmeyer ones are perfect for me anyway. These are not the standard pach grips they are much bulkier and absorb alot of the recoil. If you have smallish hands these will suck though they are bulky

Screenshot_20230318_053446_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom