School me: Best way for zeroing in new red dot/scope

Did a search , maybe not using the correct terms as I was stunned not to find this topic...

I have aligned new sighting devices before, but figured there are many on this forum who have done this many times and have efficient ways to really do this.

Have a red dot and scope for rifle, need to get them zeroed in. What's the best way assuming no borescope, assuming doing this by sighting and shooting, then re adjusting a bit etc. But last time I did it, it was like the stooges giving a haircut. too little, too much, etc.

I aligned the one I put on my M&P 15-22 by using the backup iron sights and shooting it in at 50 feet, then moving to 50 yards. This kind of worked since they co-witnessed well.

Realistically, the best method is to boresight it and then shoot it in.

Start at close range (a couple yards max.), Get to zero. Then start increasing distance to target, shooting each increment and keep zero. Rinse and repeat at least to 25 yards then go to 50 yards then 100 yards and confirm zero.

You can save ammo witha boresight.

Did a search , maybe not using the correct terms as I was stunned not to find this topic...

I have aligned new sighting devices before, but figured there are many on this forum who have done this many times and have efficient ways to really do this.

Have a red dot and scope for rifle, need to get them zeroed in. What's the best way assuming no borescope, assuming doing this by sighting and shooting, then re adjusting a bit etc. But last time I did it, it was like the stooges giving a haircut. too little, too much, etc.
Do you have some way to shine light through the chamber and out the bore? Any kind of bore light? If so, try using that as a way to get close.

If not, can you fix your rifle to a benchrest? If so, get it set, get on target and fire one shot. Leave the rifle position exactly as it was and adjust the sight to where the point of impact was. Then aim on target and fire another shot.

I put a target at 25 yards, shot 3 times, adjusted a little, shot 3 more, and repeated. 9 rounds had it in the center.

Do you have some way to shine light through the chamber and out the bore? Any kind of bore light? If so, try using that as a way to get close.

If not, can you fix your rifle to a benchrest? If so, get it set, get on target and fire one shot. Leave the rifle position exactly as it was and adjust the sight to where the point of impact was. Then aim on target and fire another shot.
This. In theory, if you are "close enough" to begin with, shoot at a target aiming for the bullseye. Leave the rifle EXACTLY where it is, then, move your turrets so that the crosshairs align with where your shot hit. Then, fire a confirmation shot.

Easier if you can hold it steady while a buddy adjusts the turrets.
In theory, two shots should be all you need. It's never been quite that simple for me though.

Yeah Al, I had done what you did with my 22 10 years ago, but used lots more than 9 rounds. But 22 ammo was cheap. 556 not as cheap. just checked amazon. boresights are $10, makes sense to just get one of these. I guess I can dial it in with a few rounds, then use the 30 rounds I was going to piss away sighting in to shoot and be happy that I am shooting well...

This. In theory, if you are "close enough" to begin with, shoot at a target aiming for the bullseye. Leave the rifle EXACTLY where it is, then, move your turrets so that the crosshairs align with where your shot hit. Then, fire a confirmation shot.

Thank you! I had once heard this method, but others have told me that while it sounds great in theory, unless you can lock down the rifle, in practice it is impossible to hold the rifle exactly in the original position. But having a second person to turn the adjustment while the first person hold the rifle might be the way to do this. I need to borrow the mythbusters rifle holder.

Assuming its a rifle where you can remove the bolt and look down the bore (the upper will need to be removed if this is an ar pattern gun), a quick and dirty way to boresight the gun is to clamp it in a vice and look down the bore at some object, and center it in the bore. Then adjust your red dot to be on the same object. This should get you on paper and you can fine tune it at the range.

Strange I have always bolted on, shot one at 25 to 50, then adjusted accordingly. Counted the clicks, saw the amount the impact point moved, and applied that to any future adjusting. Upon reaching the center of target I then shoot 3-5 for more precise feedback. Since I find pretty much any pull of the trigger to be entertaining for me there was no waste. Of course I am not on welfare and do not own a Barrett or .458 Socom so if that or my employment status changed I may feel differently.

I do however like the visual of many hands holding a rifle steady while one fires and adjusts the turrets though. I’d probably vote for that one... lol.

1. Bore-sight. Basically you need to make sure that the barrel is roughly aligned with whatever the optic is pointing at.

2. Place a target at, say, 15 yards and shoot it once. Make sure you're at least somewhat on target and that the round didn't leave the range. If you did step #1 you should be on paper at this point. Adjust the optic a few clicks at a time and shoot until you're hitting the bullseye.

3. Move the target to 25 yards and repeat the previous step. Do this out to whatever distance you wish to zero at in the end.

On ARs what I've done is just take the upper off, look down the barrel from the chamber end and then get the reticle to be on the same thing I'm looking at out of the barrel. I don't own any bolt guns but I think you could do the same thing by taking the bolt out. This will get you on paper at least. Start out at 25 yards then move to 100 and so on.

Ventura, might do that. Not too far away. 5 dollar, am on paper no problem, i did start off like that, but like others said, started real close to make sure i am not shooting over the berm. Current situation is not bad, but need to zero in. Need to post pics like everyone else showing one hole and saying 5 rounds shot;-)

1. Bore-sight. Basically you need to make sure that the barrel is roughly aligned with whatever the optic is pointing at.

2. Place a target at, say, 15 yards and shoot it once. Make sure you're at least somewhat on target and that the round didn't leave the range. If you did step #1 you should be on paper at this point. Adjust the optic a few clicks at a time and shoot until you're hitting the bullseye.

3. Move the target to 25 yards and repeat the previous step. Do this out to whatever distance you wish to zero at in the end.

+1 for the bore sight. Get a quality one and you can use it for multiple calibers. I generally start at ~20ft at home, then move to the range where I know I can atleast hit paper. I haven't brought the bore sight to the range yet as I generally play with distance once on paper.

By "bore sight" I meant take out the bolt and look down the barrel to make sure it's pointing roughly where the optic is centered. I don't use any special gadget for this.

By "bore sight" I meant take out the bolt and look down the barrel to make sure it's pointing roughly where the optic is centered. I don't use any special gadget for this.
Oh....I used the device. Stick it in the barrel, align the red dot from the bore with the red dot from the sight....cha ching.

I've tried the cheap 'bore sight' items before in rifles... They're utter CRAP. I'm talking about the ones you put into the chamber here. I then picked up a decent one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZLJA6) and it's MUCH better. There are even better ones out there, if you want to get something nicer. IF you follow the instructions, it will get you close enough to finish sighting in at the range. I would never expect a laser sighting device to do any better than that. If it ends up being right on, or damned close, that's a bonus.

what rifle/pistol ammo sight/optic how high above the bore.
are you looking for a specific range to zero point of aim/point of impact or just looking for point blank range.

you should be able to zero a sight with 2 shots. one to see where it impacts then 1 to check after you adjust it. You can fine tune from there.

use a large piece of painters paper to have a clean back stop. in case your way the f*** off

give us some data and i csn give you some idea of your sight in zero and such.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom