• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scent Control

Deer slayers and Turkey Wackers
I need to invest in some new deer gear. I am wondering what is the best strategy should I but a scent blocker ninja suit or go for the outer layers. Is scent control clothing worth the money? I hate being cold, and I don't mind spending a little more to stay warm, any suggestions? Im going up to KTP this week to buy so let me know.

Underarmor scent gear is great. Plus it's pretty warm but scent control goes way past clothing. Sent less shower wash and shampoo, scent free washing detergent, scent free dryer sheets, no candles or air freshers.

Or you can just learn to hunt the wind. Know where the deer are coming and going to and at what time. And use that knowledge to only hunt certain stands when the wind is right.

The best scent control for deer I have found is to get up about 20 feet off the ground.

Scent control products are a waist of money. They don't work. You are not going to fool a deer's nose. That's the bottom line. They're products intended to have the hunter part with his money. That's about all they're good for.

As for clothing I would recommend merino wool. Look at Firstlite and Icebreaker. That carbon scent free suits are overpriced gimmicks. See my prior point. Invest time in learning how to play the wind. How it swirls, how thermals can carry scent, hunting just off winds, stand location, etc... Be mobile so you can adapt to changing conditions...
I've had deer pick me off at 100 yards after the full "scent free" regiment. And I mean having done it all. I've seen it first hand. When I was new I fell for the gimmicks. Not anymore. My scent control routine consists of Dove sensitive skin soap as it lacks perfumes and scents. And hunting laundry detergent - not because I think it suppresses sent, but because there is no scent or UV brighteners added. I also add a half box of baking soda to the laundry as well. I have no expectations of scent suppression with this arrangement. I'm just trying to not add to my natural BO. Aside from that I play the wind.

Also consider a lot of scent you expel is from your breath. Those carbon suits don't do crap to help with that. Also after those carbon molecules fill up with scent they say just toss them in the dryer. But no household dryer gets hot enough to "recharge" those carbon molecules. They would burn your house down if they did. By the time you get the suit home that carbon is already saturated and useless.

Stick to merino or polyester fleece. They're quiet and suppress bacterial growth which is what creates scent from clothing. They wick and dry quickly and retain most of their insulating ability when wet. Avoid cotton like the death plague. Nylon is okay for a shell. But it can be noisy and doesn't wick at all or breath well.

Oh - and make sure you treat your clothing with Permethrin. Tick borne diseases suck. So take every precaution. The Sawyer brand is top notch stuff. I've used it for years and swear by it. I've never seen a tick live for more than a few minutes after getting on my cloths.

Go get em...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom