• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiding your scent from deers

Yes they do! Love that video :)

Cover yourself with skunk cover scent and you’ll smell like a human with skunk on you to them.

Did someone say pizza???

FWIW, they do sell charcoal fart-underwear. Haven't tried it but. . . . . . maybe burying yourself in a big ass pile of charcoal would work. Or start smoking like that cute guy above. ;)
i heard somewhere that the native Americans used camp fire smoke and charcoal to hid their body odor from deers and other animal

A quick Google reveals that the science on the matter says you are mistaken. Although there have been recorded incidents they are described as "very exceedingly rare".

Rare though it may be, bucks have been known to go all pon farr during rut. And I have my anecdotal example to go by.

I was heading downhill (northbound) on the upper fire road, and had just crossed the stream when he walked out into the trail about 25 yards ahead of me. I figured he was going to keep going. He didn't. I stopped, looked at him and actually said, "Well?!? Are you going to go?" His answer: f*** no!

After a Mexican standoff of probably a minute (though it felt quite a bit longer), I took the gnarly branch to my left down to the lower fire road and headed out.

(Red dot marks the spot.)

QuillinanDeerEncounter.jpg

Yea but that doesn't constitute an "attack". A better understanding of whitetail behavior would likely hold the answer. Yes during the rut Bucks behavior changes. What likely happened in your example is the buck was on the trail of a hot doe. You intercepted that trail. Now the buck was scared shitless and on any other day would have been gone in a flash. But in this case, he wanted that doe and wasn't going to break off the trail. So what you have happened is his waiting you out. If you approached him he likely would have snorted, stomped, and/or eventually bolted.

That brings up another point about their behavior. If you're unfamiliar with exactly why the whitetail do what they do, you can misinterpret their body language. For example when a whitetail snorts and stomps someone may feel threatened, like oh shit this dude is getting ready to charge. After all other animals like bulls will do the same before they charge. But with a whitetail, that's not the case. When a whitetail snorts and stomps its because he's scared shitless and he's warning other deer to stay away. The snort is a loud audible warning to other deer. The stomping deposits excessive scent from an interdigital gland between their toes onto the ground as a scent warning to other deer. After they put up the warnings, then they're taking off. A doe usually with tail held high waving the white flag. A buck usually with tail tucked between his legs but they can put up the flag too. They're just not consistent with it like does. Waving the white flag is a visual warning to other deer. It shows what direction/area they're fleeing from.

You were never in any danger. It just may have seemed that way to someone not intimately familiar with these animals.

Last edited:
I've never used any scent masking/eliminating sprays of any type and usually (50/50) came home with a deer.

I've found it really depends on where you hunt as to how skiddish the deer are to humans. Deer that hang around farms are usually used to human scent and noises and will likely not even be bothered by your presence, especially on a tractor.
I see them in my fields all the time and drive within 50 yds of them and they look and go back to eating.
Last week I was out looking around the woods on my 4wheeler and stopped along the trail to watch 5 doe scratching around under a huge oak for acorns for 25 minutes. I was less than 100 feet away, and only partially masked by a small cedar tree, but they watched me pull up and stop and turn the engine off.

Deer that are waaay out there where people rarely go will be far more cautious, especially bucks out of rut season.

At Quabbin Reservoir, they'll walk up and open your door for you.:D
Was there years ago installing some radios and there was a dozen of them that couldn't be bothered with me, even driving right by them within 20 feet. I guess they know they are protected there off season.

There are no absolutes with wild animals. I don't doubt it has happened. I also don't doubt that some people believe they've seen big foot or loch ness too. In fact a quick google search revealed there were 11 sightings of big foot so far in 2018. I think that makes it just as common occurrence as deer attacks. According to Univ of Nebraska - Lincoln that happened 13 documented times in a year between 6/05 to 6/06.

So ya know, context....

I've never used any scent masking/eliminating sprays of any type and usually (50/50) came home with a deer.

I've found it really depends on where you hunt as to how skiddish the deer are to humans.

This...totally. They get conditioned to things that won't hurt them.......and it becomes normal for them.

Ive hunted urban CT where I've been 20 feet up a stand above and watched a mexican landscaper blow leaves at a deer right below me eating acorns. The deer still stood there eating acorns. Ive watched landowners walk out of their houses, get into the cars, and the deer just look up, then keep eating. Yet, on those same places, if I waved my hands and that deer saw me in the tree, it would get squirrelly, and likely stomp and head bob, and take off.... 200 pound guys in trees aren't normal. While they generally ignore scent, in the bigger woods spots, they know humans aren't generally supposed to be there, and will pay attention to it and sometimes bust. Though these deer are generally not that savvy, if they smell you and locate you in the tree, the jig is up.

When I "stalk" a deer down there, the best thing to do is ignore the deer, don't look at it or pay it any attention, head down, walk around side to side like your a landscaper looking for a dropped rake, getting closer each pass, that will get you to within shooting distance usually, is 20-30 yards is their "comfort" distance to humans, then put your bow up quickly and let er rip. The absolute worst thing you can do is act like your stalking.....because deer aren't used to that, they are used to people being normal and going about their daily business of landscaping or something, and not paying them any attention.

Contrast to my spots in MA, where you HAVE to hunt the correct wind, hope and pray thermals don't fxck you and deer seem to have sixth sense even when conditions are right. Totally different ball game.

As is hunting driven deer.....driven deer focus on the direction of the thing that scared them, and a little bit on their escape route, but wind really isn't that much of a factor if they are in heavy retreat from drivers in most cases. If they are sneaking by drivers then they will be smarter, but full retreat, I've had deer nearly run me over after being driven or shot at. Driven deer are easy prey for the standers awaiting them on a good escape route.

Oh, and the scent lok, sprays, cover scents.....yeah...fing biggest gimmick known to man, I usually throw my hunting clothes in with some of the stuff from the same area I hunt...hemlock boughs, leaves, grass, dirt, and put it in a tupperware container. I take it out to hunt and to hunt only, and wash it once or twice thru the season. Still, if the wind is not right, I'm not going to see a deer, but on the good days, when deer get close, i do think some type of natural cover smell from the area you are hunting could help.

I've never used any scent masking/eliminating sprays of any type and usually (50/50) came home with a deer.......

....At Quabbin Reservoir, they'll walk up and open your door for you.:D
Was there years ago installing some radios and there was a dozen of them that couldn't be bothered with me, even driving right by them within 20 feet. I guess they know they are protected there off season.

If you are shooting a deer every other outing you are hunting in a very, very, target rich environment. In Western mass you are lucky to see a flag 25% of the time.

This will be the first year I didn't apply for the Quabbin hunt. It is a joke now. They had to shut most of the hunt down as there are very few deer there now. There are probably more moose than deer in the areas that are hunted.

In 2016 1180 hunters applied, 874 hunted, and 53 deer were taken.

The hunt sucked so bad last year they didn't even publish the news letter with last years numbers. When I left the Prescott Peninsula the count was 7 deer.

They also scaled it way back. With a deer density of 2-6 per square mile they aren't opening the door for you and they ain't jumping in the truck

Bob

BELCHERTOWN – The state Department of Conservation and Recreation will only need about 400 hunters in December for a substantially scaled-down controlled deer hunt Dec. 6 and 7 in Hardwick and Petersham.

Ken MacKenzie, wildlife biologist assigned to DCR Natural Resources, told members of the Quabbin Watershed Advisory Committee that three zones - Prescott Peninsula, Pelham and New Salem - had achieved deer densities of less than 20 deer per square mile and would not be open to hunting this year.

Mr. MacKenzie told committee members and more than a dozen others attending the meeting that DCR is considering a new model, perhaps opening some zones for the full duration of the statewide deer season, but he said that would not happen this year.

“The ongoing goal of the hunt is to maintain deer densities that allow for forest regeneration while at the same time maintaining hunter interest in harvesting Quabbin deer. Without hunters in the equation, I’m not sure what we would do to manage the deer herd,” he said.

The wildlife biologist said DCR would continue its allocation of antlerless deer permits, noting that for the 2017 Quabbin hunt, 500 antlerless permits were issued, and 90 percent of the hunters holding those permits showed up to use them.

Related content
Expanded deer hunt considered at Wachusett Reservoir

June 5, 2018
Mr. MacKenzie noted the substantial drop-off in hunter participation for the second day of the hunt in each zone, suggesting the need to rethink the logistics of the hunt.

He cited pellet surveys that showed deer density at Quabbin ranged from 36 per square mile in Quabbin Park at the southern end of the reservoir, an area closed to hunting, to an estimated density of 2 to 6 deer per square mile at Prescott Peninsula.

State to scale back deer hunt at Quabbin ReservoirState to scale back deer hunt at Quabbin Reservoir

And yet we are up to our a-holes in turkey these days. I’m surprised that I don’t see more deer in my AO. It’s so quiet that we can go over a year without hearing the yotes.

If you are shooting a deer every other outing you are hunting in a very, very, target rich environment. In Western mass you are lucky to see a flag 25% of the time.

This will be the first year I didn't apply for the Quabbin hunt. It is a joke now. They had to shut most of the hunt down as there are very few deer there now. There are probably more moose than deer in the areas that are hunted.

In 2016 1180 hunters applied, 874 hunted, and 53 deer were taken.

The hunt sucked so bad last year they didn't even publish the news letter with last years numbers. When I left the Prescott Peninsula the count was 7 deer.

They also scaled it way back. With a deer density of 2-6 per square mile they aren't opening the door for you and they ain't jumping in the truck

Bob

BELCHERTOWN – The state Department of Conservation and Recreation will only need about 400 hunters in December for a substantially scaled-down controlled deer hunt Dec. 6 and 7 in Hardwick and Petersham.

Ken MacKenzie, wildlife biologist assigned to DCR Natural Resources, told members of the Quabbin Watershed Advisory Committee that three zones - Prescott Peninsula, Pelham and New Salem - had achieved deer densities of less than 20 deer per square mile and would not be open to hunting this year.

Mr. MacKenzie told committee members and more than a dozen others attending the meeting that DCR is considering a new model, perhaps opening some zones for the full duration of the statewide deer season, but he said that would not happen this year.

“The ongoing goal of the hunt is to maintain deer densities that allow for forest regeneration while at the same time maintaining hunter interest in harvesting Quabbin deer. Without hunters in the equation, I’m not sure what we would do to manage the deer herd,” he said.

The wildlife biologist said DCR would continue its allocation of antlerless deer permits, noting that for the 2017 Quabbin hunt, 500 antlerless permits were issued, and 90 percent of the hunters holding those permits showed up to use them.

Related content
Expanded deer hunt considered at Wachusett Reservoir

June 5, 2018
Mr. MacKenzie noted the substantial drop-off in hunter participation for the second day of the hunt in each zone, suggesting the need to rethink the logistics of the hunt.

He cited pellet surveys that showed deer density at Quabbin ranged from 36 per square mile in Quabbin Park at the southern end of the reservoir, an area closed to hunting, to an estimated density of 2 to 6 deer per square mile at Prescott Peninsula.

State to scale back deer hunt at Quabbin ReservoirState to scale back deer hunt at Quabbin Reservoir

Thanks for the info. My experience there was about 25 years ago so it looks like things have changed dramatically.

I hunt where the deer's natural food supply is.....mostly places with a lot of oak trees, field edges and flowing water......I never hunt pine forests as there's little to no food and noisy walking with all the dry twiggs.

Guys who use some of the Ozone generator products seem pretty happy. I was researching them for a hockey bag.

They won’t dry gear but are said to eliminate scent. Many reviews at Cabelas.

Last edited:
Guys who use some of the Ozone generator products seem pretty happy. I was researching them for a hockey bag. They won’t dry gear but are said to eliminate scent. Many reviews at Cabelas.

I don't disagree.

Ozone generators have been used for years in fire restoration to mitigate the smell of smoke. There is ample evidence that they work to remove odor. There is also some evidence that ozone is harmful. I would never use one in an enclosed space like a pop up blind.

Even if you remove all odor from your clothing your body will still generate odor; especially once you start sweating. Then there is the odor when you exhale. You may be able to reduce your odor and detection range but I don't believe that you can eliminate it.

I choose to pick milkweed pods, hunt the wind, and keep my dollars in my pocket.

Bob

Guys who use some of the Ozone generator products seem pretty happy. I was researching them for a hockey bag.

They won’t dry gear but are said to eliminate scent. Many reviews at Cabelas.

I also agree that they work. How well is up for debate though. Using them in an enclosed area like a room or hockey bag is a lot different than the open woods. Additionally, long-term exposure to ozone has been linked to cancer. IDK about you but I don't want a deer nearly that bad. Nor do I have trouble getting on them without those contraptions.

It won't be long now. Bear opens on September 4th and deer in Connecticut on the 15th. I just hope that we get some cooler weather. It has been a hot and humid summer.

Bob

IMG_0825.jpg

I also agree that they work. How well is up for debate though. Using them in an enclosed area like a room or hockey bag is a lot different than the open woods. Additionally, long-term exposure to ozone has been linked to cancer.
Didn’t find any reference to using them except in an enclosed gear bag or closet.

This duffel bag is the product I looked at. Reviews by hunters are extremely positive.
Scent Crusher Ozone Gear Bag : Cabela's

In the end I purchased a $30 O3 generator (https://www.amazon.com/BoneView-Generator-Elimination-Technology-Molecular/dp/B07C8YQF42) to go in my existing duffel because that $200 bag doesn’t heat gear and hockey gear has to be dried. My bag might be too big for one small unit, it comes in later this week. Suffice it to say that hockey bags have a uniquely bad smell and if this helps, great.

Question:
Can I put this product in the tree stand with me and it help with eliminating my odors

Answer:
Thanks for reaching out to us. This ozone machine is not meant for being in the field. It is made for you to throw all of your gear and camo in to an air tight tote or scent proof bag. Then put in the ozone turn it on and let it do its thing. Your clothes and gear will be scent free when you take them out the next time for your hunt. Its mainly used to de-odorize your clothes when your not hunting so you don't have to wash them and dry them in scent detergent or spray before your next hunt. Very easy and simple way to control your scent in the woods. We don't recommend using this or any ozone products in your breathing space, just Google "is ozone safe to breath" and you'll see why.

I wash my hunting clothes in plain water and keep them in a trash bag with some pine boughs and sweet fern leaves. Then I soak a rag with store bought doe urine and wipe it on the soles of my boots before I head out. On the way to my stand I'll make a few mock scrapes with my boot and dribble a little doe urine near the scrapes. The last 3 deer I shot were sniffing the scrape and ignoring me.

I don’t know how they know this, but “they” say that blaze orange shows up like grey. What stands out are shades of blue.
I hunt deer in carhaart coveralls, a dark green arbortech sweatshirt and of course my orange vest. Have had deer walk by me at 5 feet! Does......and no tag. If you sit still......you'd be surprised how close they'll get no matter what your wearing.

I can't imagine the smells from my father's old hunting crew. They would drink and smoke from dark until whenever, then have more smokes and coffee in the morning, and not shower all week. They ALWAYS came home from STINKIN LINCOLN with deer meat.

Oh, and my current neighbor, who weed whacks around his property, and the deer come out to see what is going on. No problem with his sweaty scent or the 2-stroke weed whacker. I think it is the fresh cut grass smell that attracts them, plus they like him.

Back
Top Bottom