• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How vital is scent control?

Empirical evidence:

"After the timer stopped I pulled out the diaper, and yes, I smelled it. Or at least I attempted to. The dirty diaper odor no longer lingered. It was completely suppressed by the Scent Crusher ozone gear bag. "

ETA, cross-post:

Last edited:
You’ll do a lot better paying attention to the wind in your hunting spots (and how you access them) vs spending a lot on scent control products.

I think at best they might shrink your scent a little at the edges or maybe confuse your scent a bit but you can’t totally hide your scent from a deer. A deer has more scent receptors in its nose than a bloodhound.

But you can manage your wind such that deer are unlikely to go into it and this beats any product. Case in point I set up my stand a few weeks back next to a river, with my wind blowing out over it. I had deer all around me all afternoon, some at 5 yards. None ever knew I was there.

This is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. I grew up deer hunting in MN and WI.

Deer camp was the opening weekend with the family and close friends. It consisted of drinking, smoking, telling dirty jokes, staying up until 1am and wandering out to our stands 90 minutes before sunrise. I don't even think we had heard of scent control back in the 80's and 90's.

The midwest does have a very large deer population but we also hunted up north, literally in the middle of no where. Where the smell of someone hung over of whiskey and cigar smoke would not be the norm for white tail. We always did well every season. While I do think an unusual smell will make an old buck change his course a bit, I think wind direction on breezy days is more important than scent control.

Use a laundry detergent that doesn't add scent and skip deodorant when you go to the stand and you should be fine.
Yup, agree all the way through here.

This is true......but if they smell something funny they will "continue on" at warp speed.

I hunted a great bottle neck for years, deer would get pushed out of mountain laurel, then head down to a narrow patch of woods between two beaver ponds. Deer would come from either direction off the hills, so we hunted it on just about on any wind. But if deer got pushed off of the hill the wind was wrong and got your scent, they had no problem swimming across the beaver pond.

See posts #147. 158, 23.

A couple of days ago, I managed to stalk within 30 yards of a deer by using the wind, 2 times. I didn't get a clear shot though. But I'm still getting that scent crusher. :D

I've had deer walk in front of me at 10-20 yards & I was smoking a cigarette with the wind in my face. They didn't know I was standing there till I moved.
No I wasn't hunting, just out looking for sheds

Back
Top Bottom