Scary moment a the range.

Play the lottery. Both of you.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I had a Remington 12 gauge heavy load blow up my semi auto a few years back. We were duck hunting just off the coast of Stonington and we were shooting at a flock of mallards as the came into the lea of an island during a snow squall. I took two shots and then the third went "boom" just like yours. I looked at the shotgun and the bolt was just about welded to the back of the receiver. Long story short. I swapped to a back-up shotgun and finished the day but when I got home I called Remington.

From the second I called, they were nothing but 100% perfect. First question they asked was "are you all right". I was and I was also pleased that they asked. Then, after telling them what happened the asked me to send them the shotgun along with any remaining shells. I did. Five days later, I got a call. They took full responsibility for the damage. Turns out the shell was to blame. They said that it "failed to peak" and basically what it did was ignite too slowly so that the semi-auto action was all out of sync. The shell essentially turned itself inside out in my receiver. The green plastic was actually BEHIND the high-wall brass base still located in the chamber, bottom blown out. The receiver did precisely what it was supposed to do and protected me.

They sent me a brand new Premier 11-87 and a coupon for new shells not to mention hats and other trinkets. I was very impressed and shoot nothing other than Remington in the field.

From what I could gather, I felt the shells were old, possible frozen over a long period of time and therefore didn't light properly. Maybe that's what you experienced. I would most definitely contact Remington and explain the situation. They've been there in the past.

Rome

I had a Remington 12 gauge heavy load blow up my semi auto a few years back. We were duck hunting just off the coast of Stonington and we were shooting at a flock of mallards as the came into the lea of an island during a snow squall. I took two shots and then the third went "boom" just like yours. I looked at the shotgun and the bolt was just about welded to the back of the receiver. Long story short. I swapped to a back-up shotgun and finished the day but when I got home I called Remington.

From the second I called, they were nothing but 100% perfect. First question they asked was "are you all right". I was and I was also pleased that they asked. Then, after telling them what happened the asked me to send them the shotgun along with any remaining shells. I did. Five days later, I got a call. They took full responsibility for the damage. Turns out the shell was to blame. They said that it "failed to peak" and basically what it did was ignite too slowly so that the semi-auto action was all out of sync. The shell essentially turned itself inside out in my receiver. The green plastic was actually BEHIND the high-wall brass base still located in the chamber, bottom blown out. The receiver did precisely what it was supposed to do and protected me.

They sent me a brand new Premier 11-87 and a coupon for new shells not to mention hats and other trinkets. I was very impressed and shoot nothing other than Remington in the field.

From what I could gather, I felt the shells were old, possible frozen over a long period of time and therefore didn't light properly. Maybe that's what you experienced. I would most definitely contact Remington and explain the situation. They've been there in the past.

Rome

That's excellent customer service

That WAS excellent customer service especially after I had called Stoeger (the importer of the Luger semi-auto shotgun I was shooting) and they essentially hung up on me. I didn't know if there was something they might have been able to tell me about the failure. Instead, they blew me off. Remington, otoh, was so forthcoming that it caught me by surprise. I was tremendously impressed to the point where all of my smoothbores are Remington as are all my shells. They've got a customer for life.

http://www.romanpolaski.com/Misc photos/overview of receiver small.jpg

Rome

Last edited:
Good thing your ok,could have been very bad news.I have seen a 1911 blow the grips off,and in that case they also lucked out with just some splinters to the hand.

This is what I'm thinking happened. I had some issues with some of the game clubs ripping the brew of the back on ejection in the past. However in this case I actually put the shell manually in the chamber it was clear prior to insertion. I assume it didn't seat fully...but would like to hear what others think.

Do you have ALL of the ejected hulls from the prior rounds shot?

If it was not an out of battery situation, then it could have been a case head separation, leaving the plastic portion of the hull someplace in the barrel prior to the kaboom shot.

Glad you are both OK. Guns can be replaced.

Do you have ALL of the ejected hulls from the prior rounds shot?

If it was not an out of battery situation, then it could have been a case head separation, leaving the plastic portion of the hull someplace in the barrel prior to the kaboom shot.

Glad you are both OK. Guns can be replaced.
I watched all the hills eject. Exactly I'm not worried about the gun although hopefully browning makes it right, just thankfully she has all her finger.

The way that the forearm blew off of that gun was a direct result of being over gassed.

What created that situation is a mystery to me, but my gut says ammo, not the gun.

The way that the forearm blew off of that gun was a direct result of being over gassed.

What created that situation is a mystery to me, but my gut says ammo, not the gun.

Wouldn't the piston have been damaged? It seems like it happened in the chamber and blew out through the piston arm? Just guessing. I'll probably never know.

Glad everyones OK! Sucks that one of her first experiences was a receiver blowing up, most of us will never see that.

I'm no expert either but I think it was an issue with the shell. I think just the primer detonated giving the shell enough umph to back out of the chamber a tiny bit for a mili-second & then the powder ignited while the shell was out of battery causing the explosion to take place in the receiver. I would imagine if it had been a pump action the shell would have been locked into the chamber preventing that from happening, definitely something to think about. I shoot a semi-auto personally and this hit home for me, would hate for that to happen.

Firing pin may have completely pierced the primer, or the primer itself could have been defective causing back blast. eesh..

Glad everyones OK! Sucks that one of her first experiences was a receiver blowing up, most of us will never see that.

I'm no expert either but I think it was an issue with the shell. I think just the primer detonated giving the shell enough umph to back out of the chamber a tiny bit for a mili-second & then the powder ignited while the shell was out of battery causing the explosion to take place in the receiver. I would imagine if it had been a pump action the shell would have been locked into the chamber preventing that from happening, definitely something to think about. I shoot a semi-auto personally and this hit home for me, would hate for that to happen.

This sounds like what happened for sure, holy shit. I own a semi auto too, to think a target load would cause this much damage hits home for me as well. We are lucky the new shooter and squatch are okay.

Back
Top Bottom