Scary moment a the range.

This past Sunday I was teaching my cousins girlfriend to shoot a shotgun in preparation for her first round of skeet. I had five shells left over from a five stand cours I ran this summer. Loaded one let her shoot, she handled that great so loaded three, again excellent. Dropped the last one in and chambered it for her and boom. Cracked and bulged the receiver and blew the fore end right off. Luckily no one was really injured, her hand was a little sore and I took some shrapnel to the chest/stomach but nothing requiring medical attention. Here's some pictures. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The load used was #7.5 Remington game club loads and the gun was a browning gold sporting clays.

Almost looks like the firing pin may have hit the primer before the shell was fully in the chamber.

Crap, good thing no one is seriously hurt. I've had issue with those Remington game club loads myself, I've had husks get stuck in the barrel as well as some FTF problems.

The prior round hit the berm, the barrel is unscathed except for two little weld like marks in the chamber. The receiver is bulged all the way to the back. The fore end is disintegrated but the gas pison assembly is unscathed. It was in the chamber for a while before she pulled the trigger.

Almost looks like the firing pin may have hit the primer before the shell was fully in the chamber.

Does that model shotgun have a floating firing pin?

Kind of hard to say for sure, but from the pictures it doesn't look like the gun is (was) excessively dirty.

Glad noone got hurt. Hopefully you'll be able to get your pound of flesh out of Remington (or Browning). If this was an out of battery situation it probably wasn't remington's fault, but who knows.

-Mike

Glad no one was seriously hurt. What I want to know is did this turn off the shooter to more or is she chalking it up to a bad day and wants to go again?

Damn
Glad everyone is ok.
Never seen that before without a barrel obstruction.
Only thing that comes to mind was out of battery.
Anything look amiss with the bolt?

That is my guess. OOB detonation would definitely account for that type of damage. Had it been cleaned since that last 5 stand session? If not I'm going to go with gunk around the firing pin got it stuck in the forward position.

I just looked up the MSRP. Ouch. Lets see if Browning's CS is as good as Ruger's. Send it back and tell them you want a replacement. [laugh]

Glad everyone is ok. That is at least 2 close calls recently on NES. Stay safe guys and gals...

I just saw this. So not a slamfire... Could have been some kind of defect like a bulge in the shell or kink in the rim that stopped it from going all the way in but in just enough that the trigger could trip the sear.

This is what I'm thinking happened. I had some issues with some of the game clubs ripping the brew of the back on ejection in the past. However in this case I actually put the shell manually in the chamber it was clear prior to insertion. I assume it didn't seat fully...but would like to hear what others think.

Back
Top Bottom